Widening the product range

Dave_T49

Hello, I am here to discuss the widening of the range of Hornby products (The trains to be specific). I believe this may help Hornby by growing in popularity and make the company more unique to others. I have 3 main points for this thread, which I will now explain in detail.

My first point is, to revive old products back, and bring them back into production. Some previous train sets and train packs I’ve seen I believe are excellent products, they were different and were not so repetitive. Some of my examples for some that should revived would be: Spirits of the North, Virgin trains 125 (R1080 to be specific), The Goods Master, etc.. I believe bringing these products back will increase sales as people would possibly be searching for these particular sets and wanting to buy them either as presents or for themselves. (Some of these “outdated” sets on their own would make very good gifts).

My second point is, to expand the range of modern trains. Yes, the company was built around mainly for steam trains, but I think that the steam trains are starting to become more repetitive, and there are is very little to no focus on modern trains. When I say modern trains, I mean diesel and electric trains (which you could probably tell). I can understand that the steam train is the tradition of Hornby, and I‘m not at all saying I dislike steam trains, I love them. But I’m seeing (and I doubt I’m the only one seeing this) that the range of steam trains is far too wide compared to modern trains. I would suggest making the ”production rates” between steam and modern trains a 50:50. I believe that expanding the range of modern trains will get more people interested, as you have people that would prefer the modern trains over the steam. 

My third and final point, is to introduce more trains from countries other than Britain (and also parts of mainland Europe). I’m not saying this just because I’m not English, I’m saying this because there are gaps in the market for trains from other countries, I would say English trains have the widest range (Correct me if I am wrong) and I understand Hornby is an English company, so you would focus on British trains. I have a few suggestions here for other countries to focus on: Countries in Eastern Europe (I haven’t actually seen any train sets from Eastern Europe), Ireland (There aren’t any modellers focusing on modern Irish trains), Italy (I have seen very little Italian trains in production) and Germany (I haven’t seen any German trains that are not ICE trains). Maybe even just put a few foreign trains per “season of production”, let’s call it. I believe increasing the range of foreign trains will increase popularity not only from Europe, but also from the globe.

Thank you for listening to me, and I appreciate it. Thanks, David

@Dave-T49............."My third and final point, is to introduce more trains from countries other than Britain (and also parts of mainland Europe)."..........You obviously haven't looked at the extensive range of stock in the Hornby International Brands.........France, Spain, Italy & Germany are covered........have a look here under Shop - International Brands..........HB

Hornby is just one of a number of manufacturers who make and sell locomotives, and rolling stock, for OO and HO model railways. This includes manufacturers in other counties including the United States, Germany, China, Japan, Italy, Eire, etc.

Check out some of the other makers, a look through some of the monthly magazines will give you a good idea of what is or may be available.

Big dealers like Hattons also have  large and comprehensive web-sites which illustrate what is available and what might be available soon.

Hornby tends to be the most economic brand, this is because they cater on bulk for the mainstream British interest in the UK. Exchange rates between the UK and overseas countries can make European models expensive. These tend to be a minority interest here in Britain.

Another thing that doesn't help is the duplication between different manufacturers producing identical models seemingly to score points over the others.

Why do we need two different production of  LNER B1 4-6-0, BR Standard class 4 4-6-0, LMSR Royal Scot 4-6-0, SR Lord Nelson 4-6-0, LBSCR A1/A1X  Terrier, LMSR 3F 0-6-0T, GWR 'Modified Hall' 4-6-0, MR/LMSR 4P Compound 4-4-0, LNER A4 4-6-2, LNER A1 4-6-2, etc, etc?

All standard BR diesel loco's have been/are in production.

What's left is DMU'S/EMU's which makes the model very costly for most modelers. And costs from £250 to £750 depending which class and manufacture. But the real problem is the lively of said DMU. If it's been around for 10 to 20 years and there are the people to buy it at the price 99% are going to want one specific livery and nothing else will do.

So what would you do.

Very rough costings £500,000 investment probably more. You get 1000 models produced of a 4 car unit. If you what multiple livelys add £20 per unit wich is a extra  £80 per 4 car unit per extra lively. This is why modern DMU's are thin on the ground. But things have gotten much better over the last decade. 

EMUs are definately the 'poor relation' in model railway terms and although the situation is better now than it has ever been, it is still not good. There are no models of ordinary suburban stock from the 1930s (the 2Bil and 2Hal are semi-fast stock) and no express stock apart from the Pullman 5Bel. There is nothing at all for any of the electrified railways away from the Southern, despite well established railways in Liverpool, Manchester and on Tyneside. Post War there is a huge gap until the 1960s when Bachmann have produced some Southern Region Kent Coast types,and Hornby the 4Vep but nothing from the 1940s and 1950s and nothing at all from the Great Eastern or LM Western Lines or from Glasgow.  The 'second generation' electrics (Classes 313 and upwards)(, and anything later is totally absent, although Hornby did a job with the 466, and Bachmann the 350, there has been precious little else.

There have been some classic types which would have made attractive models. The Clacton class 309s were definately different with their wrap round drivers windows and lined maroon livery. The Wessex Electrics too would be a glamourous addition. And the Glasgow 303 'Blue Trains' were sufficiently distinctive to make them worth considering, especially because of the various liveries they have carried during their lifetimes.

Spot on LC there are some lovely classes to pick from but which. Which would sell all out. Nothing modern intrest me enough to break my self imposed limited area and peirod to save money.  A Class 502 might just be acceptable but even then it's not a 100% certain. I now it would be out of your main intereste but I wouldn't be surprised if you did pick on up just because. 

The 502 being early sliding door stock based on Merseyside are comparable to London Underground stock, which is also another much overlooked area. 

Although they disappeared before the TOPS classification system the 1930s Tyneside electrics with their hand operated sliding doors would also be an interesting type to model, and comparable to the later BR (GE) 302 overhead suburban units and the 506 Manchester Glossop Hadfield sets with their distinctive LNER style body work. 

However I still contend that the Glasgow 303 / 311 Blue Trains represent a step change in suburban electric design and worthy of consideration.

• 4 months later...

Have to say the modern loco range is getting much better. I have 18 different class 43's and one more on the way in Spring 2020. There are some gaps though, class 57's are a bit thin on the ground especially those still hauling sleepers. 

A whole range of 66's especially after the fast re-release of Hornby/Lima liveries versus the Hatton series. I have some of each, they are poles apart ! but so is the price.

I think there is an increasing interest in OTM's (On Track Machines) Come on Hornby, get your teeth into 09 Tamper or Pandrol Stoneblower..... set the path for others to follow !!!

'On-track machines' is definately one area that has possibilities, although Bachmann did once offer such a machine ( a tamper) it is not currently in the catalogue. I am not altogether sure how successful this proved to be.  It is a topic for 'modern image' modelling, but it is much less relevant to people modelling the steam era. 

There are of course a number of other items of on-track plant, which would make interesting models. For example -

A Ballast cleaner, although 'self propelled' when on site these usually travelled in train fomation hauled by a locomotive. These machines also were accompanied by an entourage of mess and tool vans and runner wagons.

/media/tinymce_upload/435bf03136fd28f7d4944826906df332.jpg

or 

/media/tinymce_upload/af91c0ea33acee585098c2dcd6a4db2d.JPG

However, given that Bachmann's latest offering the Ransom and Rapier crane retails at over £200 I shudder to think what one of these would cost!

There are a few crane models , the R&R is already mentioned, Hornby make both the Cowan Sheldon small hand crane, which despite its age is a good model, and the 75 ton crane, which frankly is looking a little dated. Hattons are planning to introduce a modern hydraulic self propelled crane, a type with which I have already had an exciting encounter. (more later!)