Refurbished, Restored, Genuine or Fake.

new lad on block

Now what would you make of my Saint Catherine. I would describe it in very good boxed condition but is it...

The chassis came from a Clivedon Court I never ran as I messed up the body trying to detail it.

The tender chassis was from a hardly run Churchward County 4-4-0

The body was purchased as a "mint" off ebay

The tender body was also purchesed off ebay beinbg described as "excellent" but claimed to be from a Saint David.

As to the front pony truck wheels, one pair came from a 1980s 28XX whithe the other from an 8F - never used as I fitted Romfords to the 8F and 28XX.

The cylinders were a new spare part as were the couplings with the body screw comming from a 1977 Albert Hall!

My B12 is probably even worde since while the tender and loco body are "original" bought from separte ebay sellers. The the tender wheels originating from a brand new "Emily", the pony truck and front frame extension were new spares and the loco chassis came from a 1977 Albert Hall!

My Lord Westward also arrived almost mint but with one of the rear tender step broken off so I replaced the entire chassis with onne from a contemporary glossy Albert Hall tender.

My Clivedon Court has a new body while the tender is original byt the wheels come from a Dutchess and a King.

My LT pannier tank was a "new" body on a chassis from a green version.

And I won't get started on Nellie!

I think tese and my Saint Caterine above also illustrates how many parts were common between many of the Hornby Triang locos of the 70s and 80s 

I have just ordered the TT book, thanks for reminding me!

It does indeed have a similar look to Pat's books.

It is for sale on eBay...I searched for " Tri-ang TT Book" and that found it!

We do have the Kitmaster book, the second version, like yours.

We don't have the first version, "Let's Stick Together" though.

A pity that the USA tank wasn't made...

The Model Rail one is nice, but I canna afford it! ☹️

There are also a few books on Airfix. These mention the railway kits, and those taken over from Kitmaster...

Hi sarahagain

Whats a book? 😆

Sorry I could not resist the temptation.

But I do agree with you nothing beats a good personal library of books and a big roll of cling film if they are being used during a model making project.

It is also handy when some of the books are quite old, so you can see how it used to be done that can often provide a way forward that has been missed in this age of tecknorogy and we make it for you so you just buy it.

Some times high tech is just not the way to go.

regards John

Yes, the older books and magazines from the days of "make it yourself or do without" are often useful, especially if your budget doesn't allow for the box open and play model....

There are books on how to convert models then readily available, into locos, and it is mainly locos in this field, that were not available RTR...

Now, though some models are available, the price tag can mean that it is still worth while converting and upgrading older models.

Again, this is where the old Tri-ang Railways system of many interchangeable parts has its uses.... 😉

At the risk of going further off topic, I have to sing the praises of a good library of books, mine was started way back in the 1950s, I still have some that my father bought me, and he delighted in inscribing a dedication in each. The one that I still use, which is held together with sellotape, he has written Christmas 1958 inside, but I do have some non-railway books datexd 1954. The 1958 volume is The Observer's book of Railway Locomotives of Britain by H Casserley which had pictures of all major classes of locomotives together with basic statistics and historical notes. It first appeared in 1955, written by E. F . Carter, Casserley seems to have taken over in 1957. 

Since those days I have aquired a massive library of, mostly, railway books. It occupies the equivalent of two whole rooms in the house, whereas I also have a large shed which is full of filing cabinets with documents, plans  and drawings  aquired from numerous sources relating to railway operating, signalling  and  timetables. The subject matter is heavily biased towards the South Eastern Division of the Southern Railway / Region, and freight rolling stock of British Railways. I do however own up to a moderate amount of material relating to the trains and buses of London Transport. 

My model railway books live in a book case in my bedroom, and include the Cavendish books Sarah refers to, especially the history of the Meccano and Rovex systems, but also Trix, and the tinplate toy train series recently published by Michael Foster. I also have a good selection of books by Edward BeaL, E.F Carter, H. Grreenly and many others from the 1940s and 1950s. Pleasant reading at bed-time!

I cannot imagine a life without books, they are my comfort in my old age!

I will be happy when the Rovex story Vol 4 is released,  having the other 3 volumns.

I resently brought a transcontinental series 2 kitchen baggage car which I have never seen before, I found it is a NSWR Silver version made in 1974 - 78 which I only found out about of in Story of Rovex Vol 3, going to use it in the over lander set I have in place of the mail coach.  

Sarah, I do like the TT book, I was going to order mine online and then came across someone selling it at the Bolton Swapmeet last year. 

Maybe it‘s a separate thread but what ranges are there left to write history on. Hornby Dublo has been done, Maurice Gunter has done the history of Wrenn in several volumes. There is the history of Trix railways but I don’t have that book so can’t comment on whether it is the UK production or all the Trix range. 

My own preference would be for the Playcraft range starting with the Jouef 6v models through to the Playcraft International branding and including the development of some of the UK models into the standard Jouef range which included the D6100 and the Royal Mail operating coach. It could also include the HOe Playcraft and Eggerbahn narrow gauge ranges. I have thought of doing one but I know I won’t have the time. 

The Playcraft range is easy to fix, just like the early Tri-ang models as they standardised on parts including motors over many years so the bits are easy to find. 

Also, how about the 00 Grafar range (could include the British made N range) or the Lima British range with the huge locos in N and including the O, HO and OO British ranges. 

The history of Merit would be interesting if all the separate bits could be catalogued fully. 

My iPad isn’t letting me copy links but for anyone who is interested in Playcraft and/or Jouef there is an excellent French website. If you look up Lestrainsjouef and click the English tab on the fist page there is a lot of information on the models there including the service sheets where one was produced. 

I bought "The Ultimate History of Spot On Models" by Brian Salter et al a few years ago. This covers the 1/43 scale motor car and lorry system introduced by Triang, as well as other related products, including Arkitex modern building system that was also available in 4mm scale. It also covers  Triang Dolls house furniture and Young and Fogg rubber scenery items. 

I do have some 1/43 Arkitex and 4mm Young & Fogg items in my collection. The rubber items are remarkably fragile, the tunnel especially.

Fascinating stuff!

The Ultimate Book of SPOT-ON Models Ltd...

Yes, that would be a good book...

Though we don't have a copy.

There is a supplement now as well...

Some of the 4mm Young & Fogg items...

/media/tinymce_upload/a9ef197fcd9aa144bdd7a2ea2fe8c18f.jpg

Interestingly, the actual coal dump model is different from that illustrated...this is the only Y&F model to come into our collection...

/media/tinymce_upload/aae4f070f20a158083541e425aae879b.jpg

Hi all, I know it may appear to be going off topic a bit, but judging by the number of views, there seems to be a interest in which books are available to help with the history, and what refurbished locos should look like.

Hence transcontinental locos donot seem to be a popular topic, which books, except for the 3 story of Rovex ones, are a good source of information on these models etc.

Thankyou in advance for any recomendations.

Transcontinental trains in the UK was very much the province of Triang, these were a useful spin-off  from the models they produced for Commonwealth countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand.   During the 1960s it was a substantial range, and was popular here as well.

Trix was originally a German product which was sold by Bassett Lowke, with UK outline bodies etc. Hornby Dublo did make some models for the Canadian market, by adapting the LMS Pacific, and the Bo-Bo diesel and the brake van, but made little else. However they established a separate brand Hornby Acho in France, which outlived the Liverpool UK version. Graham Farish made a NYC Hudson but it is as rare as rocking horse manure. 

Most overseas outline models (HO) originated overseas, there were (are) thriving model railway industries in the USA, Germany, France, Italy, Austria, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, China, Japan and many other places.  Undoubtedly within these countries there will be enthusiasts who chronicle their home grown products . They do sell in the UK of course, and in fact Joueff, Lima, Rivarossi, and Fleishmann, all also produced UK outline models for the UK market.