First pre order

pendeenpete

My interest in my layout returned due in part to back problems keeping me indoors, ably assisted by the persistent bad weather. This prompted me to purchase a Hornby Peckett, well the wife actually, as my Christmas present.

The one that caught my eye was Daphne, my loco fleet being without a red engine! This was advertised as being released this Autumn, now changed to winter 2019/20.

I contacted Hornby regarding the likelihood of it being available for Christmas,they replied quickly,but said they are unable to give any idea,and that I should keep checking the website. I can't understand how the manufacturer doesn't know when something is likely to be available.

Is it because,it hasn't reached the production line,or does the factory in China forget what they have put on the ship? I am an impatient sod usually, but this time it's the wife worried I will be present less on the big day.

Anyone know the reason that pre orders are so vague?

I'm afraid it is the way the Chinese work. When it gets put on the boat it will arrive. This affects all companies that have their products made in China. I don't think Hornby, Bachmann etc., should publish any availability dates until the product arrives. It will arrive, luckily not matter of life or death.  😉

HAH - This sounds like the Special Edition Mallard, the Club Model & the Special Members Club Model ALL over AGAIN - Sorry to say this Pendeenpete - but I'm afraid that it sounds like you will have to wait months & months & see the arrival date change at LEAST 4 or 5 times!!!  ☹️

www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/what-is-the-longest-time-that-you-had-to-wait-for-your-hornby-model/?p=1

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/why-does-the-date-of-the-club-model-keep-on-moving/?p=1

Basically it comes down to :- it will arrive when it arrives!!!

Looks at these links - might help you out!!!

Proposed delivery dates are a bit like Politician's promises, it is wise to take them with a huge pinch of salt.  It was bad enough when things were made in the UK but now they are made halfway round the world it is a lottery.

Hornby are not the worst by any means, Bachmann have things on their list I have been waiting for for nearly two years (i.e. Ransome & Rapier breakdown crane, retooled Bulleid carriages & 2Hap) .

Although my post sounded like a complaint, my intention was to find out why Hornby couldn't name an arrival date. I can grasp "it will arrive when it arrives", and realise it's not a matter of life or death, I think modellers acceptance of the status quo is the reason it continues.

Every now and then, a model appears in an extremely short space of time, I'm thinking of the newly tooled Terrier, that miraculousply became available when a commercial gain was involved in beating Rails to market. Some of the latest items are breathtaking in their attention to detail etc, but the price has also rocketed to match. There is, however, still the haphazard quality control, that makes the first run of the model a hit and miss moment.

Obviously only the manufacturers can explain, so I'll leave it there.

Hi, pre orders are like London buses, there are none and then they all arrive at once. I have a lot of pre orders with Hornby and it is a little like feast or famine. Dont try to budget, just tuck your cash away as one day the heavens will open and you will get them all at once. Thankfully some of mine have been put back to 2020, just as well as Christmas is just around the corner.....

On the back of the Hornby magazine Hattons has a progress table showing the various stages of various manufacturers products. This is as good a guess as anyones, but no help with your pre-order.

/media/tinymce_upload/062dd8d8d60e1559077170f68d32c4d8.JPG