Undecorated Engines.

LBSCR Nerd

Are we sure that they would not sell?

I don't recall anyone making undecorated British outline stock. I know Bachmann make undecorated American locos and they must sell. Aside from freelance railways there are a variety of authentic liveries that could be easier applied to an undecorated lococs or even just different running numbers.

The USA system had a lot of what are known as "short lines".  Independent systems.

Really the USA version of the UK Colonel Stephens type light railways.

The Short Lines often used second hand stock from the major railroads, so painted but unlettered locos would make it easy to letter for your own Short Line empire, a common modelling practice over there!

Totally unpainted wagons are available, or were, from Dapol.

Hornby has in the past released Diesel Locos without numbers, with transfers included. The EE type 3, Class 37, Class 25, and I think the Class 47 were examples. Some were in BR green, and some in BR blue.

Heljan do this with some of their diesels...

Some Hornby TOPS examples had the Class number printed on, with transfers for the actual loco number.

Some MK 3 coaches also had transfers included for the numbers.

Some of the second type of Pullman Cars, "Lucille" type and the later Brake Car, came without printed names, or Car Numbers, with transfers included in the box.

Some Steam Locos came ready named and numbered, but with alternative names and numbers, labels and/ or transfers, in the box...

But these were back in the 1970s and 1980s...Hornby Railways days....

I don't understand it! If manufacturers don't make this or that type of loco or carriage then people get all het up about it, and if they don't paint the models in the desired livery with certain names or numbers they now get all up-tight!

Now they are moaning because they DO put names and numbers on. 

It seems they cannot win!

DBfan they are doing it in OO as well, at least they are with the CL45.

See the list below

45100 – BR green D31

45101 – BR green D57 with small yellow panels

45104 – BR blue 64 Coldstream Guardsman with full yellow ends

45106 – BR green D65 Grenadier Guardsman with small yellow panels (Rails of Sheffield exclusive)

45300 – BR blue 45003 with full yellow ends

45304 – BR blue 45033 ‘Sirius’ with full yellow ends and Tinsley names WEATHERED

45305 – BR blue 45060 Sherwood Forester with full yellow ends (Rails of Sheffield exclusive)

45402 – BR blue 45133 with full yellow ends

45500 – BR blue 45110 ‘Medusa’ with full yellow ends and Tinsley names WEATHERED (Kernow Model Rail Centre exclusive)

45501 – BR ‘railtour’ green 45106 with full yellow ends, Tinsley diamond plaques and square headlight

45502 – BR blue 45118 with full yellow ends, orange cantrail stripes and square headlightC

Can`t see an un-numbered one 

Heljan did the class 47  I think it was and one or two other classes in plain BR blue 10 plus years ago in oo. Hattons ended up flogging tham for £40 each. After that Heljan said they wouldn't do it again because they didn't sell. 

The demographics are different between oo and O modelers 

Some people may like the idea, but many are not willing to do the work themselves. 

Others think the models are going to be a lot cheaper and well their not! So they don't buy them. 

How about this: 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/464301/heljan_45108hel_class_45_0_peak_in_br_green_with_small_yellow_panels_and_split_centre_headcode_/stockdetail.aspx

There are several others and some that will be customised by them to your choice,

There was no need to publish that list, it isn't a competition.  😉

I think the un-numbered models are for Hattons and Olivias trains only, ie you buy an un-numbered version and they number it etc to your choice. I don`t think thay are available to the general public

• 4 weeks later...