1973 Models

Guest Chrissaf

Hi I'm still collecting specifically 1973 models (as thats the year I got my first Pannier), thanks for advice on earlier posts. Has anybody ever seen  BOB Winston Churchil or either 8P Coronation in the standard '73 box style, IE Grey lower with Red Lid and yellow plastic liner and Hornby Railways oval logo ?? I'm looking and can only seem to find these in earlier box styles ??

I'm going to Warley next week to contune search but wondered if I'm looking for a unobtainable goal ??

t was the year I moved from Infant to Junior school.I was still on Hornby and Playcraft clockwork locos then Plus Tri-ang Big Big trains. It may have been the year I got the Jouef set with a clockwork D6100, two french red coaches and the car transporter. That was a great set that I ended up swapping for some Mainline wagons later on. 

1973 I had been selected from a long list of non-applicants for a job as a Crew Chief on Victor tankers. Tirns out it was the best RAF job I ever had.

I also had a fairly new 1973 VX Victor Estate - superbly comfortable motor with a 2.3 L petrol engine that went like a rocket. The thing fell apart from rust in the three years Imhad it. Traded it for a VX Cavalier Sports Hatch 1.6L 3-speed auto - very comfortable but totally gutless poser’s car. New fangled unleaded fuel killed that one.

1973 I had been selected from a long list of non-applicants for a job as a Crew Chief on Victor tankers. Tirns out it was the best RAF job I ever had.

I also had a fairly new 1973 VX Victor Estate - superbly comfortable motor with a 2.3 L petrol engine that went like a rocket. The thing fell apart from rust in the three years Imhad it. Traded it for a VX Cavalier Sports Hatch 1.6L 3-speed auto - very comfortable but totally gutless poser’s car. New fangled unleaded fuel killed that one.

1973 I was in comprehensive school, then in 1977 I was selected from 350 applicants for one of 10 apprenticeships being offered by British Airways. I had applied to 27 different companies for an engineering / mechanical apprenticeship, and the rest is history.

Now strangely enough, in 1979 I had a Magnum Estate with that same 2.3 Engine. That went like a rocket but OMG.. by far the most unreliable car that I ever went on to own until I bought a Dodge Durango in my Dubai years, but going back I also went to a Cavalier next, it was a 2.0L and turned out to be the most reliable car that I have ever owned. It managed 173,000 without any engine work, and I sold it to a neighbour at 199,000 miles. It eventually made it to the scrap yard due to rust of course, at 245,000 miles!

I remember that I had a problem with the Propshaft on the Magnum, the centre bearing rubber support perished and Vauxhall's remedy was a complete new propshaft. Long story, but I eventually managed to get a new bearing assembly from GKN, who were making the propshafts for Vauxhall, but sold the car on before I ever got to change it, and then about 5 years ago I came across that bearing, still boxed and unused. I put it on ebay and within hours some guy was at the door buying it... he's retoring a Magnum and this was a key part that he simply couldn't get! - It was probably the most pleasurable day of ever owning that Magnum, seeing this guy so happy that he'd found his 'holy grail'.

I'm now currenty restoring a 1977 VW Golf that I found in a field near Stavourouni Mountain!... but if a Magnum ever came along, I'd love to own one again.

Handley Page Victor was my favourite aircraft when growing up as a lad - moreso than the Vulcan!

That look from the front - windows, and the high tail ... rest is history - for the aircraft, not me.

Dad had a HA Viva - nice car, rust bucket.

20 years later I ran an early Cavalier Hatch 1.6SR FWD (front wheel drive).

Only 4-speed, went like a rocket as had been a 'repmobile' and well serviced - until the cambelt snapped ...

Appreciated Fords but never owned one until my next car - 2.8i 5-speed, 2-tone paint (grey / silver) - THAT was a car ... 

What's this thread about?

Al.

• 2 weeks later...

Stop messing around chaps !!  thread is about availability of  BOB Winston Churchil or either 8P Coronation in the standard '73 box style, IE Grey lower with Red Lid and yellow plastic liner and Hornby Railways oval logo ?? I'm looking and can only seem to find these in earlier box styles so beginning to wonder if I'm looking for a unobtainable goal ??