Sound Decoder for Fowler 2P (R3315)

Dowse101

Hi All,

New to the forum and first post!

I’m aware that Hornby produced a DCC fitted version of the Fowler 2P which included a sound decoder (R3459TTS I think). I’ve just purchased the DCC ready version (R3315) and foolishly assumed that I could purchase the sound decoder separately, however, I can’t seem to find it anywhere L. Googling doesn’t bring up many options, but does suggest that the part number might be X12013.

Does anyone know where I can get one? (for a reasonable price as I’m pretty tight)

Alternatively, is there a sound decoder that would do the job? I’m pretty new to this so any steam sound would probably satisfy me, but I would like to be as accurate as possible and don’t want to look completely foolish should anyone knowledgeable have a listen. For example, would the Black 5 decoder be suitable as I believe that they were both 2 cylinders?

Thanks in advance.

Hornby produced the chip separately in 2016 according to this thread https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tts-sound-decoder-wishlist/#post-347443 Indeed I fitted one to my S&DJR 2P but I am not 100% sure of the R number quoted as searches reveal the loco.

I am sure the one I purchased was a proper item for fitting to a DCC ready loco rather than a spare part so would have had an R number but can find no mention of it.

I've just Googled 4F TTS and found a hit on eBay for just the decoder. As a 4F is Midland, 2 cylinder and a Fowler, it is likely to be a similar sound. The only thing is that the beats might be a bit out of sync with the wheels. However that is true of my 2P with its decoder.

Not sure about the speaker fitting. Can someone confirm if they have the same tender?

The service sheets for the 2P don’t show the tender but the decoder socket is in the loco. Search the SS section for Fowler.

The service sheets for the 4F do show the tender. The early one is tender driven with a ringfield in there, but the later one has the decoder socket in the tender. Search the SS section for Class 4F. I didn’t notice a speaker mount, but easy to fit a cube in there.

Thanks guys. Think I've missed the 4F decoder on Ebay as I can't find it  😢

I may just get another Black 5 TTS and put that in.

I had to replace the speaker on my Tornado TTS with a sugar cube to fit it inside the smoke box as I didn't want it housed in the tender, so happy to do that again although it is a bit of extra faff.

I picked up a Princess Coronation TTS the other day so, will see what that sounds like when I get a chance.