help designing track

gemidriver

Hi

I have 2 new scalextric sets, Arc Pro le mans, and the supercar challenge set.  i also have the track extension pack 7

does anyone know a way of entering track pieces into software and it generates tracks?

or is anyone great at designing tracks?

i don't know the actual track pieces model numbers - can this be found out?

cheers

@gemidriver

I dont' know of a program that will take your track inventory and just make a new layout automatically. But I can recommend you look at the program call AnyRail. you can also check our there anyrail.com site to download a demo version. Just before I started typing this I launched the program on my windows computer and it had an update. The update added the extra long straight that comes in many of the sets Scalextric currently has for sale. I have a fully licensed paid for Ultimate Racer. It's a good program but I do like anyrail a bit better especially for 2d track design. Anyrail also has 3d capability but I've not used that as much as in standard 2d mode (just by personal preference). the other upside of Anyrail is it started as a railroad program so there are lots of other objects like buildings and scenery you can use around your layout/diagram. 

The best part is Anyrail is still being updated and I've not seen an update to Ultimate Racer in a while, though there is indication at their website that a version 4.0 in in testing as of July 2019. I don't know if that means the layout designer is being updated with new digital track pieces, or if the race management will be compatible with Arc Pro, or if it's just bug fixes. I'm going to do some searches to see what I might find out about Ultimate Racer. I will say the layout software is pretty intuitive (just as it is in AnyRail) and it has some 3d capability that again I've not used a lot. It's a nice program if you just race analog. You will want to check online if you want to do lap counting, timing etc to make sure you have the proper powerbase that is compatble. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi NickR53 - welcome to the forum!

There is also a free Express version (up to 50 pieces). The best Windows track design programs are a similar price. The free ones often aren't any good or run on ancient operating systems and don't have up-to-date track libraries. Ultimately, you get what you pay for. £39 is the price of one car. If designing tracks is an important part of your hobby, then it's good value.

Merry Christmas!

Had downloaded the free version of the train track years ago but found it personally useless here.

When running virus program recently it also quarantened it on my old mac.

Also have tried published designs to learn from but honestly believe some had never been built before printing.

So best advice can give is to just do it and see how design works out.

It helps to take notes and use a ruler to check parallel lines and a calculator to do the math if unable to handle the non standard designs.

There are numorous sites that give the diminsions of the curves and straights.

You will need short straights, at least 4 to make anything minorly creative and the scaly digital systems will also require certain track design requirements to function properly.

Believe scaly should make single lane shorts with the same connector as the singe straights.

Any serious discussion of track design would become complicated and long here.

So my best advice to learn track building remains just do it.