Let's See Your Unusual 00 Locos

Jimbo1707820979

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And anther...Tri-ang continental prairie. I have the Hornby Acho (HO) one somewhere as well. If I get the chance over the next few weeks I'll post some pics of Hornby Acho locos unless someone beats me to it! All fantastic runners of French prototypes. I have a VB body on a Lima chassis too! I think VB were bought out by Tri-ang but need to check the history on that one. 

/media/tinymce_upload/00aa2534dbf712b5df55496f6f6eb974.jpg

@ Atom :-

WOW ,Eric thats a serious car, a Porsche GT3.

If I knew how to do a emoji I would do a cool one.

In the Reply box at the top going from right to left - 1st you will see the letters "ABC" with a blue tick then next to that you should see " 😀"  click on that then a little box will appaear saying "Insert Emotion" then you will see 16 little faces - then just click on which ever face you disire!!! Simples!!!

@ Jacob :-

Do locomotives with faces on the front of them, count as "unusual'? The reason I ask, is because I own mnay of them!  😆 😉 😀

Do you mean like this :- 

/media/tinymce_upload/2595b33fe268c5666cd10670b1259b56.JPG

@ Jimbo :- Now this is my unsual OO Loco :-

/media/tinymce_upload/2d420cfdeeb346078f474d506b1a5c4d.JPG

THis is my unusual Loco b/c it has not got any connecting rods on the wheels like most Steam Locos do - This 1 is from Hornby - Here is a link for the review :- 

Here is another -The Caledonian...

/media/tinymce_upload/e9aeb84f4bf465fc16b881c713e9036e.JPG

& here is the review for this Model - it is from the G. B. L. C. Mag!!! :-

Well I was going to sort out some Hornby Thomas locos to photograph and upload.

But according to a forum member, there is only him and two others on the internet who would look at them.

So I thought I would try and better that, hoping for 4 persons whom may be interested,in the fantastic T1000 set.

This offering is a Hornby,   T1000 playset 1. Made in China from the finest wood.It has a oval of track with two hand operated points. Lots of accessories are provided as standard.Maybe a problem running it on finescale track thougth, it has a electric motor powered by 1.5 volt battery. No nem couplings, just magnets. All in all an unusual 00 loco?

@ WTD...

You are on the ball! 😉

We have a few unusual locos...I'll have to find some photos.

Early 1950s Tri-ang Railways "Jinty".

/media/tinymce_upload/72b4dbd99cc228b30db5ddb9697937e2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/d6d856869b83c4ff13ffbbcd5ff7deee.jpg

The "Railway Children" train set loco..."Jinty".

/media/tinymce_upload/ab7521a74ad7234401b23a0d32bef5b2.jpg

The last model made from the original Tri-ang Railways tooling for the "Jinty". Mid 1970s. From a starter set. The set also contained two of the short clerestory coaches, originally introduced in 1962, in bright red plastic

/media/tinymce_upload/a16530e4068983f013f715b4d444573f.jpg

Hi Gordon, I bought the T1000 several years ago, infact I think I have two of them. I have not been able to find out anything about the set, if you Google it there are no references at all. No pictures either.

As it is made in China it would be from the late 1990s onwards.

On the back it has limitations of use and Health and safety restrictions in English as well as ten other languages, so may have been a export set.

The T1500 & T1501 electric train sets came out in 2000 / 02 so may be earler than those.

Sarah, nice jinties! I have one of the early ones that i got in a box of 'junk' that is almost mint, just unboxed unlike yours. It runs as if it's new. Also, I had what i think was a version of the Playcraft trains you referred to but with blue track and it was push along, I had a lot of the track and used to set it up at the side of my Big Big trainS, the difference in scale was unimportant back then! I think the red Playcraft one was battery powered as I had a box full that I got for my kids from a car boot sale. The battery locos struggled to get over the bridges with any wagons attacheD, it ended up going to one of their friends who had a lot of it as the batteries didn't last long And neither of mine were particularly interested in it. They liked the orange plastic Hornby track that they used with a clockwork Thomas and some of the Matchbox push along trains. For some reason Stingray and Thunderbirds were usually involved as well, nice to see a resurgence of some of my childhood favourites in the 1980s.  😀

Pair of the very early Jintys, 2nd. model, the one immediately after the BRa one.

Note it has the hole in front of the water tanks,you can see the chassis block is just about visible.

I have two different ones with and without the raised inscription on the chassis block.The mold was quickly altered, to enclose that space.

Photos may just about show the spaces.

/media/tinymce_upload/fe0fecbdd65b53107eaefc8beda55407.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/580b1c999a4594776d27df5840564f12.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/d069c39b67c8b0b2be4f63d0e810cae2.png

NLOTB these are the Playcraft trains, mine were the same but the track was blue. Your Hornby set has the track my kids had but theirs was orange. There were points and a diamond crossing available and you could use it with clockwork trains as well as push along. They had one of those 'nellies' with the plastic chassis but the plastic wheels broke very quickly, I think because they were too stiff. 

I do not have any Hornby wooden railway, but I have five supermarket fruit trays full of other makes which my grand kids love to play with.  My daughter worked in a charity shop and every time some came in she bought it, which is why we ended up with such a lot. 

Looking on the internet, it seems that later on, the Playcrft railways were made with yellow track and battery operated locos...

It was also later marketed under the Corgi brand.

The old type, with the push along trains is this type...

/media/tinymce_upload/6e19c709c79e26ae60a34916bd093437.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a95450359d9f39d78640383e27824ac2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/fcafaf5aeac51caaf84dd0b89f54a098.jpg

@Jimyjames

You are welcome. 😀

@New lad on block

I have never noticed the Hornby Early Play T116 Pushalong Train Set before. I thnk that is becuase they are not part of model railways!  😆

Seems like the Hornby Junior range is not Hornby's first attempt at producing toy trains, aimed for babies a/d or very young children.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Well Hornby Early Play T116 Pushalong Train Set, is under a product rnge called 'Early Play' and the Train Set is called 'Pushalong' so with such words used, to myself the product is for babies. The locomotive has the words 'MY FIRST TRAIN', on the boiler, which also suggests it's for babies. The box does say 3+ on it, but I think that is over aged. The Thomas models say 3+ plus on the boxes and most of them, I wouldn't give to a 3 year old.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@ Sarahagain :- OMG OMG OMG!!! You have just blown my mind!!! Why you ask - those 3 photos - I used to have that very same railway track & Locos & wagons, the Turntable - the bridges & the Bridges supports (I think I was about 5 or 6 may be) - you could even get a battery Loco which took the big CR2 Battery (I think if i remember correctly!!!) & the battery Loco even had a smiley face on the front like James the Red Engine does!!! I remember that the Battery Loco always had trouble climbing that steep bridge (Photo 3) & you always had to give it a little push to help it up!!! I remeber 1 day - I only had small amount of track & I just happen to walk past the Sue Rider Shop (A Locol charity shop around the corner to where I Lived) & there was outside a big box of extra track - & of course I had to have it - I got it - took it home & made a very big lay out of it & what double freaks me about this - I was just thinking about this railway the other day & wished that I had kept it now - I think that I gave it away to my younger half brother when I was older- then I'm not sure what happen to it after that  ☹️

Then years later My Dad got me my 1st 3 Proper Train Sets - 2 x Lima Sets (with that Blue Loco - Plymouth Switcher & 3 Wagons) & 1 x Airfix A1A - A1A with 3 wagons.  

Thank you for reminding me about my great memories with my 1st Train Set!!!

@ Sarahagain :- OMG OMG OMG!!! You have just blown my mind!!! Why you ask - those 3 photos - I used to have that very same railway track & Locos & wagons, the Turntable - the bridges & the Bridges supports (I think I was about 5 or 6 may be) - you could even get a battery Loco which took the big CR2 Battery (I think if i remember correctly!!!) & the battery Loco even had a smiley face on the front like James the Red Engine does!!! I remember that the Battery Loco always had trouble climbing that steep bridge (Photo 3) & you always had to give it a little push to help it up!!! I remeber 1 day - I only had small amount of track & I just happen to walk past the Sue Rider Shop (A Locol charity shop around the corner to where I Lived) & there was outside a big box of extra track - & of course I had to have it - I got it - took it home & made a very big lay out of it & what double freaks me about this - I was just thinking about this railway the other day & wished that I had kept it now - I think that I gave it away to my younger half brother when I was older- then I'm not sure what happen to it after that  ☹️

Then years later My Dad got me my 1st 3 Proper Train Sets - 2 x Lima Sets (with that Blue Loco - Plymouth Switcher & 3 Wagons) & 1 x Airfix A1A - A1A with 3 wagons.  

Thank you for reminding me about my great memories with my 1st Train Set!!!

Also if you look at the Turntable - I remember for some reason - not sure why - you can see a little red piece just on the track - you could flip the Loco - may be off the turn table!!! I had loads of it as I remember - so much fun it was!!!  😀

Hi JJ.

There's a lot of the old plastic trains on eBay!

😉

Luckily, we have no space, or I may get tempted! 😮

Meanwhile, back on the original topic...

Crownline was a manufacturer of kits to add detail to Ready To Run models, or even to change the basic model into another type of Locomotive, or a variation of the same type...

Ideal these days to add to the Railroad models...but no longer made. ☹️

This is a Railroad "Jinty", converted using a Crownline kit originally made for the later 1970s front wheel drive version of the Hornby Railways "Jinty".

It makes a good representation of the Midland Railway 1F class open cab tank loco. Now available, at a price, RTR...

But, making your own is, basically, priceless! 😉

/media/tinymce_upload/df5cf4354c91ee9acd08c1a85bd59e38.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/50bbaa0cd825e52b0840581f67af02df.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/a03dff4ac5ca1853e38bb6ef53c11074.jpg