Let's See Your Unusual 00 Locos

Jimbo1707820979

When the Hornby Railways 'Tender Drive Revolution' was taking place in the 1970s and 1980s, a lot of locomotives were introduced that, if you look carefully at the chassis, were originally being developed to take the original X.04 or the later version of the X.03 conventional open frame motors in the locomotive.

These locomotives can reasonably easily be converted from Tender Drive to Loco Drive...

This example is a Black 5.

The earlier examples have a plastic tender chassis that even has the holes to take pin point axles wheel sets, in place of the Ringfield motor...and provision to fit the standard Hornby metal weight..

The main modifications to the loco chassis involve either modifying the cast weight block, by cutting off the part that fits into the motor mounting position, or replacing it with a chassis extension desii for the "Flying Scotsman" locomotives...and fitting a pick up plate, again designed for the "Scotsman".

The easiest is to modify the weight block, but this one has the "Scotsman" extension, modified to fit the later Black 5 "Duchess" type cylinder block and valve gear.

The days of multiple uses of parts allow for many conversions...this chassis block, originally designed for the Tri-ang Hornby "Hall" Class locomotives has been modified over the years, and used in a lot of RTR models...

X.03 Loco Drive Black 5.

/media/tinymce_upload/3cb228e47c1d6e77dfade5de84bfdcb2.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/e9f1222b4bac1f06d4f59daa0c1811dc.jpg

Not the best photos... sorry!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The earlier posted Crownline / Hornby MR 1F loco conversion left me with parts of the original "Jinty" cab.

Hornby make a model of the GWR 2721 Class Pannier Tank locomotives.

Their version is the open cab variety, but some of this class received closed cabs, similar to the earlier 57XX class Pannier Tank locomotives.

Using plastic card, the back of the "Jinty" cab, and other parts, I fitted a closed cab to one of our 2721 Class locomotives.

/media/tinymce_upload/eb133a00b743e050640b1674e17554b5.jpg

A comparison of the original, open cab type, and our closed cab version..

/media/tinymce_upload/537a156f33607172f2393a7103b579b2.jpg

Hornby Railways made a version of the later 8750 Class Pannier Tank Locos, with the modified cab.

A version in a London Transport red livery was made for a train set, representing the Pannier Tank locomotives bought from BR by London Transport for works trains.

/media/tinymce_upload/18ec466611269291c795b6387186f062.jpg

Next to the LT locomotive, is a version surprisingly never made RTR by Hornby, though it was discussed...

A BR black livery version...

This example, in lined black, is a Bachmann locomotive, representing the Locomotives used on Station Pilot duty, at Paddington...

An interesting comparison of the two models...

Probably, the introduction of a competing 57XX Pannier Tank model, prompted the introduction of the different 2721 Class open cab loco...the original Hornby 8750 class loco being converted to represent "Duck" in the Thomas Series...

He's one you donnot see every day, R873, manufactured around 1971.

About 25,000 made, none produced as a solo model, and came in the RB6 set.

Very rare, hence the distressed condition, most were thrown away as it was a cheap starter set component.Should have  the large spark arrester chimney, it came broken.It does have the cowcatcher and the tender, they are usually missing.

Hard to see the worn number on side should read 1863.

Probabley the rarest of the small clockwork locos.

/media/tinymce_upload/f3a22d901ce4d49a758b01c23e50efdf.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/1cee066e7929255b91e053de96d3c85e.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/f985ba14699dc356b9ec2fd3ef39a58f.JPG

This was the Wild West set, that came with the yellow four wheel coach (two of?) and some cowboy figures...

The tender is the body from the Davey Crockett loco, mounted on the integral low sided wagon. The wagon has a hole in the bottom for the tender body fixing screw, and can be a red one too. There is a plastic bracket in the tender body as well...

The cowcatcher is also from the Davey Crockett loco.

The loco itself is a modified tool, from the "Top Tank" clockwork and electric loco.

We have one slightly bashed about loco, and a couple of the tenders...

@ Sarah :- Yeah - just as wel I haven't got the old plastic railway any more - same here I've only just got enough room for my proper model railway...

/media/tinymce_upload/2e86b4c0132e66903affb181d495c899.jpg

This is my 3 ring layout I done a few years ago...

Any way do you want a game of snap... 😉

/media/tinymce_upload/451f1dd596ac6d248d24b7347a9e6130.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ae781ebd2faf9056c93999ed78269baf.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ea3e5e844a9f4922c5fc4a0dafa16bee.JPG

This is my Hornby 8751 Class Pannier Tank Locos, with the closed cab - no detail - because of the motor end sticking up in it...

/media/tinymce_upload/e2bb2682b01ab721fdbaa4f3fd1e401c.JPG

NLOTB/Sarah

I have never seen one of the Wild West locos complete other than on a certain auction site So to have one 90% complete is a bonus! Jouef (possibly under the Playcraft name) also made a similar set with a modified version of their clockwork loco but I'm not sure which was first as they are both pretty similar and one is probably based on the other. The Jouef version doesn't go for anywhere near as much as the Hornby one On the odd occasions one comes up. 

Not unusual to see a unused T868 C/W Continental tank, here are 12 (two layers) in the dealers counter box.

Complete with packaged keys. Sold as Early Play.

I donot know if they were sold as a box of 12 or 18 as there seems to be room for another layer.

Box a bit torn on corners, but were normally thrown away when the box all was sold.

/media/tinymce_upload/3f5dabff4260355f73ffd8169b2253e9.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/66c642566fac4beedefc7d095df9ab01.JPG

Here are three of my Hornby "adapted" locos:

Firstly, a Gresley P1 2-8-2, built from a reversed Stanier 8F loco chassis, D49 Hunt class valve gear, A1 Flying Scotsman cylinders, Cartazzi pony truck, body, and 8F tender drive unit under a white metal GNR tender body.  This is my most unusual loco, as it has never been available ready to run yet.

/media/tinymce_upload/d7861b56437b2e3c9317d716261aa968.JPG

Secondly a Stanier mogul (Bachmann now make one of these rtr).  This one has a Hornby Margate Black five body, loco driven 2-6-0 chassis taken from a Margate Fowler 4P 2-6-4 tank, and tender  from the old Triang Midland 3F.

/media/tinymce_upload/c471ba04673504cab74e971b96343b54.jpg

Finally, a Peppercorn A2 made from a Trix body, Britannia chassis (+ Hornby A1 cartazzi truck), and Hornby A3 tender.  Bachmann also make a model of this now, but at the time I was very pleased with my own creation.  As I am sure others will testify, there is a lot of pleasure to be gained from making something a bit different using spares (ebay is a very useful source) and a bit of ingenuity.  They might not be quite as good as the latest ready to run models, but they are reliable, easy to repair, and give me lots of pleasure.

/media/tinymce_upload/61bb564fff615e57fa0f979e4ee6e1b8.jpg

One for you Gordon, almost complete set of Hornby Class 06 Barclay shunters.

Two missing, from top down R2676 Railroad 06003 BRe.Other at bottom R061, Hornby railways yellow, came in the Stationmaster series.I am sure I have them somewhere.The sooner I get my 'shed' done the better.

/media/tinymce_upload/54440607ba322bb0a921bdf2fb453f6a.JPG

@New lad on block

The box that those six Hornby Early play red 2571 clockwork locomotives are sitting in, I assume is how they transported from the factory to the shops in?

Wow, you own a lot of Hornby Class 06's!  😆

I like the Hornby Class 06 and the Bagnall Diesel Shunters. They are cheap and basic yes, but are charming for some reason and I like them.

I own the RailRoad BR blue, the Virgin Trains (2004 Collectors Club Model) and the Pullman (2008 Collectors Model). I am looking to buy at least one Bartellos' Big Top Circus livery Class 06 split from the Hornby RailRoad Train Set, but they are rare and expensive.

Thank you for posting today's photos, new lad on block. I enjoyed viewing them.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Hi Gordon, the picture does not show it but there are two layers of locos 12 in all in the box.

Found one of the missing Barclays R061, I have infact got two one mint, in box without the stickers appilied.

Instructions date it to 1993. Other  not as good with stickers applied.No site of other yet, Up North over Christmas break, so will try to find one at Bolton and then the Doncaster toyfair.

/media/tinymce_upload/4efab1ca370c5e69594107c90f0dd302.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/b279daf19df15db8d7f36c05f4cb5db0.JPG

@atom

Haha - no, I didn't bother with the extra cylinder to power it.  However, it's quite like the Gresley original in one respect - it can pull more wagons than I can store on my layout.  Apparently one of the issues faced on the London-Peterborough route that the originals ran on.  They could manage 120 mineral wagons but there wasn't a long enough siding where they could hold them to allow faster trains to pass.

@LC&DR,

Thanks for your praise.  I have two projects to finish along similar lines - a SE Finecast J69 body to go on a Bachmann J72 chassis - if I can hack off enough whitemetal to fit the chassis into it, and an N7 body to go on a Bachmann Jinty chassis + pony truck.  I had compiled all the parts for the latter, then Oxford Rail announced their RTR model, and I haven't got around to building my version yet.  The RTR version certainly looks good - I'm not sure my version will past muster, but I'll give it a go nevertheless.

@New lad on block

So you own 12 of the same red 2571 clockwork locomotive? Did you buy all 12 together in that box?

That missing Class 06 looks odd. Not seen before. It looks like coloured yellow and red plastic pieces to me. It does not look as nice as the other painted Hornby Class 06's.

Thanks for the photos.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Yes, the Bachmann Railway Children set is a bit more accurate than the Hornby version...

At the time, Hornby's 8750 Pannier Tank was only just being made, so they used the "Jinty".

Coaches are a short Clerestory in red and white livery, and the old "Western" USA car in "teak", to represent the "old gentleman's coach...in reality a LNER director's inspection coach.

The Hornby set...

/media/tinymce_upload/3c6d114434bd338564703fc00ccaa620.jpg

This is the last version issued of the Dock Shunter, from 1976. It has smooth wheels with finer flanges, and the later style of buffers, with the stock moulded into the buffer beam with just the heads being separate parts...

/media/tinymce_upload/2b706aa239d4b0480e8aa6444f7e2603.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/995978e360ae6498e436d855b3c510ab.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/5eafe2144180fbc080055c40ca820c9d.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/227c983439b802f169dd570004622f04.jpg