Schools Class loco [traction tyre query]

Guest Chrissaf

Can anyone tell what versions of the Schools class has traction tyres fitted, or do they all have tyres? Does the new Railroad version have tyres?

Many thanks,

Paul

All Hornby Schools class locomotives have been equipped with traction tyres.  If the motor is in the tender, two of the tender wheels have tyres.  If the motor is in the locomotive (as in Railroad models), two locomotive driving wheels have tyres fitted.  In both cases, the relevant wheels have grooves in their treads to take the tyres.

GS 

There are three main types of Hornby Schools Class Locomotive.

The tender drive model from 1981 onwards.

As stated above, the tender drive has traction tyres.

The Railroad version is a partly retooled loco drive version of the 1981 loco.

As stated above, this has traction tyres on one pair of driving wheels, I think it is the front set.

There is also the 'main range' version, with all the extra detail bits and bobs.

I don't know, but I think these do not have traction tyres?

Yes Sarah, still with tyres.

That was a little project of mine, stumbling over the YT video of 'how to replace with non-tyred wheels'.

I succeeded, and less ruthlessly than the video - no snipping off spokes (see video) - but the traction was very marginal - with no weight on the front bogie, or tender, it could pull 7 coaches, but this left the bogie very susceptible to derailments - I replaced the traction tyred wheels and put some 'weight' on the bogie again - no problems, but no 'realistic wheelslip' ...

Al.

Interesting, Al, because I was about to bow to Sarah's better knowledge (trying to rely on memory from several years back is dangerous!) having now checked my copy of Hornby's service sheet 330 for the super-detail Schools loco which does not illustrate traction tyres on the driving wheels nor makes any mention of them in the list of parts.  The plot thickens.........!

Ian

I have R2743 30915 Brighton.

I BELIEVE it's a super detail, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

The box is a normal box, not Railroad, 'though it is a little older.

Definitely agree, Sarah has a huge wealth of knowledge always generously shared on us poor unfortunates ... !!

As I stated earlier, I did convert mine, and it has additional lead where able, but I had to slightly bend the bogie bracket to limit the weight distribution, permitting a maximum on the drivers, and when the wind blew in the right direction, it pulled just-about well enough, but the Schools is a powerhouse.

With the latter in mind, I decided to revert to the one pair with tyres - mine does have tender pick-ups as well.

Al.

I have R3208 Brighton which is still on sale and does have traction tyres. It is one driving wheel with tyre each side.

None of the literature I received or downloadable refers to traction tyres, or any part replaceable number or how to do it.

Therefore, Hornby must believe that they are there for the useful life of the model.