Is this acceptable???

Stubaggieboy

Today I purchased a small Hornby set as a surprise for my Granddaughter. Luckily I decided to run the loco in as I always do with my own locos. To my utter disappointment the motor in the loco lasted approximately 6 minutes before a plume of smoke came from it. I am totally disgusted with the quality that Hornby churn out it really is not acceptable. Fortunately my local model shop has replacements otherwise there would be another dissapointed recipient of a Hornby set on Christmas morning.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately a rogue product gets through now and again. I bought a new printer for my computer earlier this month which lasted about a week before it packed up, so I took it back to PC World and they exchanged it without quibble. It happens, we get cross, we take it back, they change it. If they don't we wreck the shop  😆 Ah well maybe not!

Much has been intimated of the 'poor motor quality' in the cheaper / Railroad models, but the consistency should be much better than in the past.

This seems highly unusual, and particularly for a new model.

Did it show any 'signs' of rough, poor, inconsistent running?

If you've managed to get it replaced, that's great news, particularly if it's a present for somebody.

Al.

Everyobody has the right to complain about something, if it's not right. Out of interest, which Train Set is it, StuBaggyBoy?

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Actually Gordon it's one in your field Thomas passenger and goods set. It's a lovely start for my grand daughter who loves Thomas. Just glad my local shop have at least four Thomas's on the shelf.

That is very unusual.

I've literally had my lad's Thomas and Percy running for hours - perhaps mine are slightly older models, but were purchased 'New' last year.

I've also had Percy running at a scale 200 mph .... !!

Looks like it at least, and is much faster than my R2339 Mallard can reach!

Both still run faultlessly.

Very unusual for me. Hope you went for and got Thomas or Percy - or both? - replaced.

Al.

I once bought a brand new washing maching - plumb it in & on the 1st wash it leaked water every where - & I discovered there was a hole underneith the draw where you put the powder or  washing liquid in!!! Yes Curries at the time did come & replace it - these things happen!!!

I once bought a brand new washing maching - plumb it in & on the 1st wash it leaked water every where - & I discovered there was a hole underneith the draw where you put the powder or  washing liquid in!!! Yes Curries at the time did come & replace it - these things happen!!!

Well that's really useful to know that I will be able to call Hornby on Christmas morning to come and fit a replacement motor in my Granddaughters Brand new Thomas

@StuBaggyBoy

I thought might be. Sady, that was made in either 2015 or 2016, when all the most recent Hornby Thomas models suffered problems. General construction problems and paint issues. I also suggest you take a close look at the con rods, as most of the 2015 and / or 2016 Thomas' have loose con rods, which will fall apart if you do not tighten them up, of about 5 - 10 minutes of running. This happened to my R9287 Thomas, from 2016.

GNR-Gorodn-4 (HF)

Pedantic mode... 😉

The connecting rod goes from the crosshead (where it connects to the piston rod, which is connected to the piston, in the cylinder) to the crank, either on the axle if an inside cylinder engine, or on the driving wheel if an outside cylinder engine.

The little end us at the crosshead, and the big end is at the crank.

Multiple cylinder locos have a connecting rod for each cylinder.

The connecting rod connects the piston to the wheels...

Coupling rods are (usually) outside rods connected to cranks on each driving wheel, coupling the driving wheels together.

The model 0-6-0 tank loco didn't actually have the inside connecting rods, only the outside coupling rods.

If anybody is interested after exchanging the faulty Thomas loco 3 times each one exactly the same ran for a few minutes then motor slowed down and a plume of smoke appears. In the end I came to an agreement with my model shop and I removed a motor from one of my locos and guess what absolutely perfect. I contacted Hornby to see if there were any known issues with these motors and the expected reply was not to our knowledge. Totally disgusted with Hornby all I can say is thank god for Bachmann!!