Two motors in a class 58

Guest Chrissaf

I have no experiance of doing it but my take would be you will need two decoders . Because both motors will need to have the c/vs altered as the motors might not be matched to run at the same speed

• 2 weeks later...

Would I be right in thinking if you wire two motors in paralell the voltage across them is the same but the current draw would be doubled? If yes what happens to the current if you wire them in series? I know the motors run at half the speed and I seem to recall the voltage is "shared" - but what happens to the current?

Current A = V/R.  Put 2 Rs in series and you get 2R, so the current is halved.  Put them in parallel and you get R/2 so the current is doubled.

Also, while in parallel, each motor gets the same power is it would alone so twice the power is used.  However, in series, only half the power is used so each motor only receives a quarter of what it did  (half the voltage and half the current, a quarter the power).  So putting them in series doesn't sound like a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I have two Hornby class 58 locomotives (DCC)and have played around with them, but have never been fully happy with their performance. I have been reading elsewhere that some people have double motored them. This appears easy to do and worth trying. My question of the forum is though, can I run them off one decoder, do I need two and double head them or even replace the current decoder with one suitable for a larger scale?

I can think of at least three different possible interpretations of your vague question as written. Can you please clarify what you mean with a little bit more detail please.

I tried double (ringfield) motoring a Class 56, initially with a single decoder but one motor was tardy and didn’t kick in until about half throttle. It would drag one bogie with locked wheels until the motor kicked into life when it would take off like a scalded cat.

Next I tried a decoder for each motor but they were basic decoders which didn’t allow CV2 to be altered to kick start the tardy motor, so the result was much the same. Throttle was essentially on or off with poor slow control.

I tried them on the same address and on different addresses as a simple consist, without any improvement.

In the end I went for a new original motor and its now a sweet runner.

The question is clear when taken in context of the entire thread, including the 4-yr old original part, but then so is the answer - not unless you can adjust the CVs to match the motor characteristics starting with Vstart.  So not using basic decoders like the 8249.