More Industrials?

LCDR

I would love to see a couple more industrial steam types at some time.

Hawthorn Leslie 16" 0-4-0ST

/media/tinymce_upload/52230a0146fbacdb9854df84f05ed169.jpg

and Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST

/media/tinymce_upload/868dbdd404d4e7118d5dda12a91a9809.jpg

And a Traction Engine engine

/media/tinymce_upload/3e79772060d930393656bf00f4562dd7.jpg

What is probably not obvious is that the rails were kept to gauge by tie rods  every ten feet or so. These were steel bar threaded at either end passing through holes drilled into the rail web, with nuts and washers screwed up on each side.  The rails were spiked down to sleepers but these were in a very doubtful condition. As the train passed along the track undulated sympathetically imparting to the whole assembly a peculiar fluid motion. The short wheel base of the locomotives and the wagons added to the organic feel of the thing. 

The train would propel empty to the quarry where a huge mechanical shovel would dig up a bucket load of chalk and deposit it into each of the wagons in turn. When all the wagons were full the locomotive would then haul the train through the tunnel to the passing loop seen in the picture above and stop to take water and await the next empty train going into the quarry. 

Once the empty train had been propelled into the loop and the drivers had exchanged the token, which was necessary to prevent head on collisions on the single line between the loop and the unloading area, the loaded train would continue through a very deep cutting and a series of tunnels under the main road, and the North Kent railway line, into an old chalk pit where there was an unloading tower much like the coaling towers found in locomotive depots. Here the wagons would be gravitated individually on to the tower platform, and hoisted up one at a time to be inverted, and the chalk tipped into a crusher and eventually mixed with water to form a slurry to be pumped to the kilns. Close by there were huge circular tanks with a constantly rotating stirring arm where the chalk and water were mixed. 

There were lots of cement works on either side of the railway between Dartford and Gravesend, all with the little railways bringing chalk from pits to be used in the process.  It was a place of wonder for me in my childhood. 

To be honest, I would like to see Hornby release a Manning Wardle 0-6-0ST. Billy and Charlie from Thomas & Friends TV series, are this class and it's a pitty it never entered the Hornby RailRoad range, as a low detail model, then Hornby could have released one, the other or both! Now the license has gone, there's no point even dreaming!  🤔  😢  😆  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

The Hornby industrial locos seem to sell out quickly, does anyone know how the Hatton's ones are selling? I made a few of the resin kits that use the Hornby or Dapol pug chassis as i have always liked industrial locos and I know they sold well.

What would the next one be? The Manning Wardle as above would be a good choice, lots of variations possible and a very common loco With a long lifespan. How about a Hunslet 14", also very common and a number of options there. Personally I would like one of the early Avonside outside cylinder 060s, I think they were B3 or B4 class if only for the reason that there was one in the scrapyard at Chequerbent that I went past every morning to school. Maybe a bit small though. 

What will the next non-steam industrial be? The sentinel and the Ruston have been good choices but many of the other options would need a jack shaft drive unless one of the bigger Rustons was chosen. 

The Hornby industrial locos seem to sell out quickly, does anyone know how the Hatton's ones are selling? I made a few of the resin kits that use the Hornby or Dapol pug chassis as i have always liked industrial locos and I know they sold well.

What would the next one be? The Manning Wardle as above would be a good choice, lots of variations possible and a very common loco With a long lifespan. How about a Hunslet 14", also very common and a number of options there. Personally I would like one of the early Avonside outside cylinder 060s, I think they were B3 or B4 class if only for the reason that there was one in the scrapyard at Chequerbent that I went past every morning to school. Maybe a bit small though. 

What will the next non-steam industrial be? The sentinel and the Ruston have been good choices but many of the other options would need a jack shaft drive unless one of the bigger Rustons was chosen. 

A 165hp Ruston would certainly be a good one 

With Hornby making the Sentinel 0-4-0 / 4wDH, and the Ruston DS48, Golden Valley the Janus, and Heljan the class 14, there is a good spread of diesels. One type I know some of my friends mike like are the Andrew Barclays supplied to collieries in the North East. A bit like these - /media/tinymce_upload/27e312b8609d433333b0c3146980d4c4.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/3d5b4e851e53452dfa4326bd24da8771.jpg

Hornby should have put their Sentinel 4wDH tooling to good use, by releasing Den, from Thomas & Friends with it. I wished that Hornby had released Den, before they decided to discontinue the Thomas & Friends product range.

Den is a Sentinel 4wDH, who works and runs the Vicarstown Dieselworks, along with Dart. Dart is Bagnall Diesel Shunter and Hornby announced and released Dart (R9683), back in 2011. If memory serves me correctly, I do not think Hornby had the Sentinel 4wDH tooling back in 2011, but it was a couple of years after Dart was released, that Hornby has tooled it.

I do believe, that before the Thomas & Friends range was discontinued back in December 2018, Hornby had time to modify the Sentinel 4wDH model with a face and paint it in Den’s livery.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

@walkingthedog

Thank you.  😀

Yes, I do think many would have been sold and when the model would be discontinued,  model would certainly sell for a lot, like nost of the Thomas & Friends range does now, on eBay.

@LC&DR

Good point, but painting them so they look factory finished isn’t very easy. I prefer factory made models, rather than custom made.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I have been thinking about this, how about a crane tank with poseable jib? There are a number of designs to choose from. I need to finish my Dubs one that is a conversion of the GWR 101 loco, someone else has also done the same conversion on line. 

Here are some pics from Industrial steam by Adrian J Booth pub D Bradford Barton 1976.

Dubs crane loco. This one is preserved and I think still operational

/media/tinymce_upload/998558309a7b5264453e744864825972.jpg

And this is  a Black Hawthorn version. I bet no none has made a model of this. Can you imagine writing the operational manual and H&S guidance for this nightmare?

/media/tinymce_upload/02d2ee28fd689e041cd748dfe95b0fc7.jpg