Modern trains

Trainmodeller35

I'm just starting my first layout, and planning to go with a 1980s or '90s theme. I have one train currently, a Hornby tank engine. It's a good locomotive, but I was wondering if someone could suggest a good company for more modern commuter trains? I'm not sure if the forum allows this, but I find Hornby is slightly lacking in more modern electric trains. Steam just won't fit my theme. Thanks.

Part of the problem is that '1980s/1990s modern electric commuter trains' suggests a desire for a type that is not generally made by by the ready to run manufacturers.

Hornby did make the class 466 'Networker' 2 car set, although this is currently not in the range, and the Pacer 143, and Sprinter 153, 155 and 156 type DMMU which although not electric represent a common commuter type. Who knows, some of these may feature in the 2020 range, we shall see on or after 6th January.

Bachmann made the 158/159 and the 165 DMMUs and the 170 if you wanted something a bit more modern. There are a number of smaller manufacturers which include Realtrack who make a 143 or 144. 

What may also be a problem is getting them in the livery which fits your period.

The 313, 314, 315, 507 & 508 series would have made  a good type, because with careful design all coaching types could have been made using a limited number of body moulds and a flexible approach would allow types from all parts of the country to be represented. Unfortunately none of the manufacturers have taken this up.

It is somewhat disapointing that this period is so poorly catered for. 

Part of the problem is that '1980s/1990s modern electric commuter trains' suggests a desire for a type that is not generally made by by the ready to run manufacturers.

Hornby did make the class 466 'Networker' 2 car set, although this is currently not in the range, and the Pacer 143, and Sprinter 153, 155 and 156 type DMMU which although not electric represent a common commuter type. Who knows, some of these may feature in the 2020 range, we shall see on or after 6th January.

Bachmann made the 158/159 and the 165 DMMUs and the 170 if you wanted something a bit more modern. There are a number of smaller manufacturers which include Realtrack who make a 143 or 144. 

What may also be a problem is getting them in the livery which fits your period.

The 313, 314, 315, 507 & 508 series would have made  a good type, because with careful design all coaching types could have been made using a limited number of body moulds and a flexible approach would allow types from all parts of the country to be represented. Unfortunately none of the manufacturers have taken this up.

It is somewhat disapointing that this period is so poorly catered for. 

Thanks for the help. I am quite annoyed the pacer and 466 were removed from the range as I was recently planning on buying one. It is sad all the major manufacturers do not make a lot for this era. People ask why model railways are decreasing in popularity, and it is partly because today's young people would probably rather model with modern trains rather than ones from the '30s.

I would recommend looking at some commuter diesels, the following classes have been produced: 121H,D,L, 142H, 143R,144R, 150D,B, 153H, 155D,H, 156L,H,R, 158B, 159B, 166B, 168B, 170B, 171B. All between 121 and 166 were in operation 1980/90 and 168 to 171 were mid-late 90s onwards

EMUs: 350B, 450B, 466H. The 350/450 were early 2000s onwards, the 466 were 80s onwards if I remember correctly. 

Not all are still produced.

Code:

L-Lima

H-Hornby

D-Dapol

B-Bachmann

OR-Oxford Rail

R-Realtrack

O-Other

This post is not intended as a promotion to other manufacturers, I have mentioned other manufacturers models however this is intended to help others.

You may be able to pick these up second hand on auction sites or at toyfairs. I have certainly bought a Hornby Pacer and a Hornby Sprinter at the Gateshead Toyfair in the last 2 years. 

Hattons currently have both the Hornby and Realtrack 156 Sprinters for sale new.

You may be able to pick these up second hand on auction sites or at toyfairs. I have certainly bought a Hornby Pacer and a Hornby Sprinter at the Gateshead Toyfair in the last 2 years. 

Hattons currently have both the Hornby and Realtrack 156 Sprinters for sale new.

Yes, they do come up on a popular auction site regularly

The numbers are classes not part numbers so I reckon they should be OK. Difficult to say really. The mods have to draw a line somewhere. 

You shouldn't say that another company's model of a certain loco is far superior to the Hornby version, and you should definitely not say that another company are cheating or conning you, because they are unable to reply to your criticism. 

That is my view. 

The numbers are classes not part numbers so I reckon they should be OK. Difficult to say really. The mods have to draw a line somewhere. 

You shouldn't say that another company's model of a certain loco is far superior to the Hornby version, and you should definitely not say that another company are cheating or conning you, because they are unable to reply to your criticism. 

That is my view. 

OK, thanks for the advice! I accidentally went against those rules on another thread.

As suggested already, I would search eBay, model railway exhibtions and / or toy fairs for the trains you want. However, being that the Hornby 2020 product range is going to be announced on Monday 06/01/2020, which is very soon, I suggest waiting until then, before looking for older used models. You will never know what that might include, until that day!  😉  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

When a person asks about obtaining suitable models to fulfil a desire to represent a particular period or area it is difficult to do this honestly or usefully without mentioning other manufacturers products. 

There is no intention of promoting one make above another, and unless both manufacture makes the identical product (and sadly this does occur) when one should avoid making a judgement , it should not in my opinion be wrong to state that the circumstances that product from another manufacturer  is more suitable. 

I would, for example, avoid making any judgement about a class 66 or a Terrier, especially as these have cause a lot of controversy of late, but as Bachmann are currently the only maker to produce a class 350 multiple unit, if you are modelling the current West Midlands scene then there would appear to be no choice. 

Clearly Hornby have an excellent reputation, probably the best on the market at the present time, and where the same product is available from more than one source Hornby should be that first choice, but they cannot be expected to make everything.

My own special interest is the Southern Region South Eastern Division, and Hornby do make some appropriate models to satisfy my requirements, but not everything. So I will use Hornby for the Class 33 and 73, the Q1, the H, the 2Hal, the class V Schools, the N15 King Arthur, the Lord Nelson, the Battle of Britain/West Country both original and rebuilt , and Merchant Navy (if only the blue one would arrive!) . However I need to go elsewhere for the the Wainwright C, the D,  the Maunsell N, Wainwright P,  Fairburn  2-6-4T, Ivatt 2-6-2T, 2EPB, 4Cep, and MLV.

If you are at the early section of your timeframe you could use some of the excellent models of the first generation DMUs. Hornby re-released the Lima Metero Cammell class 101, examples of which I think were the last of the early DMUs to be withdrawn. The one you'd need is blue/grey but I think a green set ran between Manchester and North Wales right up to the end. The Hornby Calder Valley set (class 110) in blue and grey will just about fit here Time wise too. Certainly the Bachmann class 108 in Blue and Grey is a must have for the North of England in this time period but I think all the Cravens (105) had been withdrawn apart from a single example at Newton Heath which ran about coupled to the last surviving example of another class (Gloucester RC&WW???)

Also at this time some odd pairings were made. For some reason in the NW we received a lot of class 115 DMU units that were split and paired up with class 101 driving coaches, thus you often had two brake coaches in a twin car formation with very different appearance, the 115 being on the long chassis and having compartments while the 101 was on the short chassis and open. 

Some of the class 115 units had retained their original numbers which started with 50 and i think should have been 53 or 54 to avoid confusion with the TOPS number of class 50s. 

The new range has been released, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. If you ask me, Hornby REALLY needs more EMUs and I've been hoping for that for a while. Sadly, no other manufacturers make many EMUs, either. I guess I'm going to have to stick with DMUs which don't interest me as much.

Perhaps the lack of EMU models is because all the manufacturers think they won't be very popular. Not sure how they would make that decision.

I can understand there being less EMUs than steam trains as I guess more people prefer them, but it's ridiculous that hundreds of steam and old diesel trains are available but but barely any EMUs.

Hornby has produced EMUs which ran in the 1980s. There's the 4VEP, the 2BIL, the 2HAL, the Networker. On the DMU front, it has produced the class 101, the class 110, the 158, the 121...

Look on eBay, there is plenty to choose from. For the 1980's you would be looking for blue-grey livery. Solid blue is earlier - 1970's. Green is earlier still - 50's and 60s.

Perhaps that is the answer, "look on Ebay there is plenty to choose from". An EMU sadly is more expensive to buy at first cost because they have to come as a full set. Hornby get round this with the Brighton Belle and HST by selling the power cars seperately. I have noticed that EMUs are rapidly discounted, something I do take advantage on of course, being an EMU fan, but only this week I got an EMU, made by a rival company to Hornby, new, at half the RRP. In fact nearly all my ready to run EMUs I bought at considerable discount. I got my Hornby 4Vep, and a Railroad Javelin when the price had been significantly reduced. 

The new range has been released, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. If you ask me, Hornby REALLY needs more EMUs and I've been hoping for that for a while. Sadly, no other manufacturers make many EMUs, either. I guess I'm going to have to stick with DMUs which don't interest me as much.

I must admit i agree, but it is a matter of having enough demand. For example, 2000 buyers is unlikely enough to pay back for a new tool and manufacturers don't like to take this risk as it could end in dissaster. Of course, if you really need EMUs for your layout you could go down the Scratchbuilding, Kitbashing or 3D printing route, if you have A - The money and B - The skills. I honestly don't know what else to suggest.