APT in 2020 range

Tony57

I was at the Norwich shop digitsl day on 6th Dec with the Hornby rep present and his sales briefing on the new range wasn’t until the 16th Dec. The shop owner was waiting for that announcement and also to get their hands on a catalogue to assess their possible orders in whatever quantity. The catalogue unfrotunately lagged well behind the sales meeting. The shop was upset by the fact that Tesco and WH Smith got supplies of the new catalogue this week well before the model shops had their deliveries. A distribution problem apparently. As the shops say I can’t sell you a catalogue if you have already bought one in Tescos, etc.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Jabob. I got it from a jumble sale for about 50 pence and sold it a year later for £30. I only bought it to see what it was like. The first time I tried it it sped off round the track but I hadn't noticed that the pantograph was extended. As it passed through the station it threw my footbridge about 10 feet across the loft. 

Just to point out, there seems to be a few individuals that are confused. The Class 370 APT-P announced as part of Hornby's ambitious 2020 range is a brand new model. It's a newly tooled item and is not the original one. The tooling for the original APT-P was destroyed. There's absolutely nothing shared between the old and new APT-P in terms of tooling.

Regarding the bogies and the tilt mechanism, it's going to have detailed single piece bogies and the tilt mechanism will be based on the original design.

HTH

Cheers!

Anyone with the old version will be aware that the two driving cab units have a full 2 axel bogie in the front and a single axel bogie at the other end with a tonge type connector, the two coaches have a single axel bogie at one end the a matching tonge connector and a double bogie at the other end with  the same coupleing as the motor unit. The planned but never produced extra carrage R705 had single axel bogie with tonge connectors each end.

If JB is correct in his info does the mean all the intermediate coaches will only come with one bogie?, logic tells me that a 5 car unit, the driving cab has a front 2 axel bogie plus a shared bogie the car next to the motor unit no bogie and a 2 axel bogie. Two 2 axel bogies for motor unit then the same for the rear portion as the front protion. So the imermediate coaches would only require one shared bogie to fit into the train. Could be interesting times ahead to see how it all connects together. Also what lenght a full train will be? the originak was 4' 6" long for the 5 unit train

The Hornby Eurostar has a shared bogie between the front two carriages and they connect to a pillar which arises from the middle of the shared bogie using a kind of plastic grab to connect, one above the other which stick out from the ends of the coach. The pillar is hidden beneath a representation of a gangway connection which hides inside the ends of the coach bodies.

This may be the way the new APT carriages join perhaps.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to both the APT and the Class 91, but can we PLEASE have a decent pantograph. The one fitted to the Class 87 is very realistic (unlike most of the others you have done) but why-oh-why wasn't it sprung so that it would sit against the overhead lines? Also can we please have working prototype front and rear lights, provision for a full function 21 pin chip and space for a EM2 speaker in the power cars and in the APT provision in the driving cars for a chip and speakers for the compressor and horn sounds. My old Hornby APT has all of these (been heavily re-modelled)! So common on Hornby, rise to the challenge and get yourself on top of the game at last. You even follow Bachmann's lead and provide a servo operated pantograph!!!

Pantographs are always a trade off between something robust enough to function and something that looks right. They will never please everyone unless they were to provide two interchangeable ones, one for show and one for use.

To be realistic and true to life any model of an APT will need a nose cone you can raise so it can be towed back to the depot after yet another failure

Precisely LC&DR, maybe Hornby could do a set including maybe a BR Blue Class 37 or 56 to rescue it when it breaks down.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/37292795@N02/3433368065/in/photostream/

We will just have to wait and see, I am afraid there are going to be far too many compromises to get the whole thing get round a second radius curve.

Hornby must have started developing this while DJ Models one was still on the go to be this far on with it or did they take over the DJ models project

According to the engine shed blog this project started August 18  with a photo and measureing visit to the heritage centre.

They would have had a head start as they would have the blue prints from the original 1980's set.

Looks like the extra middle coaches use a split bogie system going on the phot of the drriving cab.