APT in 2020 range

Tony57

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hornby have added details of which cars come in the 5 car and 7 car sets to their website together with which additional coach packs you need to buy to complete a full 14 car set for either version.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/br-class-370-advanced-passenger-train-sets-370-003-and-370-004-5-car-pack-era-7.html

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/br-class-370-advanced-passenger-train-set-370-001-and-370-002-7-car-pack-era-7.html

• 1 month later...

Must admit, if you've a layout big enough, it'll certainly look impressive!!

Will this be with one power car or will it have 2 - can't see the references without 'playing' too much.

If the performance is as impressive as that of the Hornby super detail HST then one might be enough, but 2 would be better, particularly to balance power at higher speeds.

Al.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not actually seen a definitive official response to "Atom3642" as to whether one power veh will be enough to power a 14 car rake at a realistic speed  - if you buy the 7 car set and the Hornby recommended coaches you end up with one powered NDM and an unmotorised second NDM but if you buy the 5 car set plus recommended add-ons you end up with two powered NDMs. - this seems an unnecessary expense if one NDM is sufficient but it could be read as an implicit admission that one may not be adequate - has anyone seen or had a response from Hornby on this?

I'm guessing that 2 power cars will be required for a 14-coach train.

Current trend with 'super detail' coaching stock is to have lighting, which has fingers on the coach axles, which creates an element of drag.

One is nearly equal to 1.5 non-lit coaches I find.so extra traction would probably be required.

Would definitely be interesting!!

Al.

I'm really looking forward to when model railway shows open again so I can see a full length one 'in the flesh'. There's only one club layout I know who has the capacity and the interest in running a full length APT, so I'll definitely be down there asap. I don't think I've ever had this with a model before, I either want one for my layout or I'm not fussed, but with this I really want to see one, but not own one if that makes sense? I've not got space on my layout for one!

I've ordered the APT and extra coaches and will be running it with two motorised NDM's, currently in the process of redesigning my layout so that I can have a station with a long enough platform to accomodate the train. Unfortunately when i spoke to Hornby customer services in December they said the APT's had been delayed until July.