Hornby 100th Anniversary: New For 2020 Product Range

NWR-Gordon-4

Hornby are making a big thing about their 100th Anniversary, as I though they would. They are releasing some cracking products this year, including some re-released retro classics from the past 100 years.

I am also fasinated and really happy that Hornby are using very old logos, such as Tri-ang Railways, Hornby-Dublo and Hornby Railways. They are also bringing the same box syles and printed designs, to release some of the nostalgia, that they came with originally.

Let me post the three products that I am certainly will be buying this year, for sure, without fail!:

• Hornby Railways R3822 56025 'Smokey Joe', Centenary Year Limited Edition 1980
  • Hornby R6986 Hornby 2020 Centenary Year Wagon - LWB Box Van
  • Hornby R8159 Hornby 100th Anniversary 2020 Catalogue - Sixty Six Edition
I can't wait for the Smokey Joe locomotive, the first proper well detailed release, of the iconic Hornby locomotive.

This year's Hornby Year Wagon disappoints me as it's basic and from the Hornby RailRoad range, but the livery it's in fantastic, nevertheless.

Please feel free, to share your thoughts of the products announced today, what you are looking forward to and what you are not looking forward to!

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

They have certainly been brave bringing out some really unusual types, which may have more curiosity value than serious modelling potential. The best choices this year I suspect will be the Riddles 2MT and the A2/2 and A2/3 which will have wider appeal than say the APT, especially the extra carriages which will make it far too long for the average domestic model railway (Trackmat up to 8x4) . I also wonder how many people will also buy all the Coronation coaches intending to run them. Definately a couragous choice.

The W1 in all its guises and the Rocket train sets will appeal to those people who like the pecuiliar. They are really novelty items rather than bulk items, although I have already ordered a Rocket train set, I doubt it will get much running on the layout when it does arrive. It is just a bit of fun. 

I am so pleased that Hornby re-printing retro boxes with old lost logos on. I never thought they would ever do that, even though I suspected that Hornby would bring back some very old models this year. I can't these all get released, to see this boxes and the models of course!  😆  😉  😀

I can't wait for the Smokey Joe locomotive. I can see that selling for a lot on eBay, in the future.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF | My 6,000th total post, from all of the Hornby Hobbies' Forums!  😮  😆  😉  😉)

Well I bought "Smokey Joe" way back in 2014 when he only cost me £27.55 & now you can buy ( From Hornby) S. J. R. R. for about £40 or you can buy S. J. 2020 Edition for about £39 I think!!! 

Jacob - What??? Why are you saying it your 6,000 post when it is saying under your GNR-Gordon-4 name it is only 5600 post - You have only 400 more posts to go!!!

I've made a video of the 10 items that I may buy this year from the 2020 range - goto my "Jimyjames Model Rail/Working Roundhouse/other Railway Videos :)" thread to see the link!!!

Is that the Hornby RailRoad Smokey Joe you own, Jimyjames? I can roughly remember this version released in around 2014.

If you click on my username and look for ‘Total Posts (All Sites)’ and you will see that I have posted over 6,000 posts, between all of the Hornby Hobbies’ Forums. That’s what I am talking about.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I was absolutely thrilled to read through thw Hornby 2020 range. This 100th year celebration has really made Hornby think and release quite a few things.

Finally Hornby has catered to the modern image D&E modeller with a wide variety of diesel and electric locomotives. A bit surprised at the lack of Class 87s this year as I expected to see more InterCity and BR Blue versions. I also did expect to see a Class 86 named "Frank Hornby".

As for the newly tooled items:-

- Stephenshon's Rocket - YESSS!!! Finally...Already pre-ordered that minutes after they were uploaded to my preferred retailer's website.

- LNER A2/2 and A2/3 - Always thought Bachmann would do this..but here we are, Hornby loving their big steamers.

- LNER W1 "Hush-hush" - Never expected this from Hornby. What a beauty!

- BR Std 2MT - this has been topping wishlist polls for a long time.

- Class 370 APT-P - all I can say is that I wish I could afford it!!!

- Class 91 - THE HIGHLIGHT OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT!!! Already got all my pre-orders in.

- O gauge tin plate loco is an odd ball, but certainly a trip down memory lane. It has sold out in most places already. It isn't clockwork, but it is 3-rail O gauge. Not my cup of tea, but certainly a must have for the serious collectors.

Overall the range is just wonderful. I've placed all my pre-orders already and spent more than a 1000 pounds now. I certainly love all the retro packaging and I've ordered as many items as I can. Obviously wish I could have them all.

As usual the Hornby bashers have taken to the internet to condemn Hornby for producing a Class 91 that another company decided to crowdfund and produce in 2019/2020 which oddly enough Hornby said they were planning on doing the same loco way back in 2017 when they announced the Class 87 and said that they'll follow it up with the Class 91. Typical of the British modellers, ready to bash Hornby over anything and everything. However the only valid point the bashers made is the lack of accompanying Mk4 coaches and DVT to go along with the Class 91. Seems odd and I hope Hornby announce rolling stock to go with their Class 91s soon. It really is an odd announcement.

I'm off to work over-time so that I can pay for all the items I ordered whilst not looking at the price.

Ciao!

ECML is one of my favourites due to work so I'm very glad of the Class 91 and I'd guess they may do the Mk4s/DVTs in the 2021 range. With the Mk3 DVT in the range that at least is a start. I always compared my Swallow HST set which had lights and hoped one day there would be similar on the Class 91. Thinking LNER Mk4/DVT would be probably their best start point as they would be "new" having released most of the other liveries previously. Will be interesting to see how close the colour match is to the older Mk4s

Well I for one think this year's releases are the best for a very long time. As an Era 3 LMS man, the release of the Coronation coaches is a very welcome addition, and I've pre-ordered all 9 already! I can't wait to see the difference these coaches make to the locos, instead of the reliveried Stanier coaches that have been available previously. Now what we really need are the crimson lake articulated set that went to America, and ran after the war.

Rocket has also been preordered, which will be a bit of fun around the layout.

I'm also delighted to see the DRS liveried Mark 2s. As I live on the Fife Circle, the Scotrail Mk2 rake is rarely all Scotrail liveried, so putting one or two DRS ones in there will make it far more realistic.

The APT is a welcome return, although I agree that the entire rake will make it far too long for most railways. Time for a bigger room?

My only negative from this year is that, yet again, there are no Scottish region coal wagons. Come on Hornby, why not??

Oh, and yes, eras do change on my layout from time to time!

Well I had a great afternoon on release day getting my pre orders in ! I ordered the ' Hush hush ' , the grey Peckett , SR Wainwright in black, SR LN Frobisher , 4 buildings , wagons etc. Although the reproduced locomotives from way back have nostalgic value they are not for me . Also got some tank wagons I'm going to repaint as WD wagons . I'm very pleased with the new releases indeed, and am toying with the idea of getting the ' Coronation ' too....I better do some overtime!

Jeremiah I wondered when you'd be along to mention the Class 91. I know it has been on your list for ages.  😆

Have no fear... Jerry is here!  😆

Was just taking a small break from the internet for a few days WTD. Been preparing all my R&D files for my range of OO gauge GWR wagon kits that are due out this year.