The Russet Lines - a model railway project

96RAF

A group of us on here have other designs in planning for a home grown LD whilst waiting for the elusive Hornby system to appear Howard. We have high hopes in getting past the post well before Hornby does.

The board frames will be erected within a couple of weeks of getting the tree-wood.

Slotting and bending the tops to suit the rising tracks will be a one shot event. If I get it wrong it may become a flat track plan. I used to have a wallpaper steamer that would have been handy, but I will likely resort to kerfing at the transitions, if I can locate my mini plunge saw. One day I will have all my stuff properly organised again.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track-plan that will go on those boards for those that are interested.

Removeable section is at the left hand end. Track flow to and from the bridges been adjusted to allow straight tracks across the removable bits. The bridges will use a tried and tested method with plug-together connector blocks to pass power and align the rails both vertically and horizontally in lieu of tool makers dowels. Isolated sections will be controlled by the bridge lift outs to prevent locos taking a nose dive. Bottom left station and loco shed are both hi-level, rest is low with transitions through the mid level goods station as required. Minor changes will be winged as I build it. Ditto for the scenery. Central access well will not be flooded as drawn. Also got to work in a tram shuttle route along the top edge that may need me to lose one siding track to provide space --> version 5.

/media/tinymce_upload/e5d377b8a88e4c8318c082702c1e2219.jpg

3-D version of the above rotated per the track boards sketch to bring removable section to bottom right corner.

It gives you a rough idea of what I am aiming for. I like Scarm, and their train sim add on lets you run around the track plan to see if it will work on the day.

/media/tinymce_upload/83f462bca48640eee679ee3423593a2e.JPG

RAF96,

I know you will have given considerable thought to construction but if using 9mm I am sure you could simply add suitable packers to your sturdy dead level frame to raise areas of ply above the adjacent sheet. I am struggling to explain myself and unfortunately cannot post a quick picture but hope you get appreciate what I'm trying to suggest. Simply cut the ply with a jigsaw along the edge of the raised track plan. No need for kerfing.

@37l - the plan is to screw down the flat bits of board, drill a crack prevention hole at the bottom of the hill and make a saw cut alongside the rising track but matching say that raised wall profile at the top station, then lift the loose board up so I can install risers to hold the track at the new level. Ditto across the bridge either side of the tracks running down to the topside goods station. I have it all worked out in my head, just have to get the ply to bend smoothly over the transitions. I shall be keeping the points on the same plane to avoid problems there.

@Al - nothing less than 2nd rad, mostly 3rd and 4th using or semi-flex in lieu where it works better. Points are express with the odd standard 2nd rad point into and in the yard where it doesn’t really matter.

37L

This what I have in mind - poorly drawn by finger on iPad. 10mm holes (more accurately placed than shown) with saw cuts between to allow the parts marked 6 to be lifted above the areas marked 3. The red and blue tracks climbing from 3 to 6 and the blue to yellow track being flat at height.

3“ is the basic track level with 6“ being the hi-level areas going off to the rest of the hi-level station. Similarly in other places around the boards.

/media/tinymce_upload/f282093f35fd4cda21638fb32da19ee8.jpg

Al

I am a big fan of folded 8 tracks as you take up much the same board space but get double the running length and the illusion of a four road formation in places.

Using Scarm to plan means I can get the angle of the slopes consistant and within my 2% max limits and reading the spot heights at rail joints gives me my riser heights. If I then print out key sheets full size I can lock down various set track locations on the boards to help with flexi track laying.

• 4 weeks later...

The first 8’ x 3’ module framework for The Russet Lines is complete. One more at this size to go and two more at 4’ x 3’’ plus the 2’6” x 2’ bridging units to link them, one of which will be removable. Slowly, slowly as 18 mm birch ply is hard as iron to work, even with power tools.

/media/tinymce_upload/1879491f14428fb22c04f7aa9ce776f0.JPG

Thanks - got that, it is great to be able to "fly" around the layout. A good few hours spent on SCARM I think!

If ever there was a proponent of the 6 P's it must be you with that plan, it's a perfect demonstration.

The track height indicators are indeed very helpful - and have twice encouraged me to think more in 2D rather than 3D 😢.

I hope it works out as you want - it looks great.

R-

Not exactly on the workbench yet, but I'm starting to get serious about building this layout. Track boards have been sketched out - 12' x 8' 6" overall. Main boards are 3' wide and linking drop valleys 2' 6" wide. The one at this end will slide out with bridges on 2 levels that clip in place for alignment and power transfer. 18 mm ply frames with 9 mm ply tops, which will incorporate split levels, and hence the odd gentle gradient that I always say best to avoid. 

/media/tinymce_upload/89c33dfbbbe4b420983cc87cfcea1cbb.JPG

forum_image_619a2a752103f.thumb.png.c9a2c23d34fff6825ffeb8314a74f5db.png

The Russet Lines is a new layout made possible upon our return from 10 years living in Cyprus by the purchase of a house with a garage that had already been professionally converted by the previous owner into a photographic studio. It was fully dry lined with insulated plasterboard, had ample power and lighting and heating is by way of oil filled radiators. Internet access is possible using powerline type plug in adaptors, although WiFi  also works out there.

The layout naming follows my tradition of using names local to where I live at the time and is adapted from our street name - Russet Way - part of a small housing estate built on an old clock making factory site that was originally an orchard - hence we have apple varieties as street names.

I have already posted bits and pieces within other topics on the forum so I will collate all those into this thread.

@atom3624

Were the holes just 'by convenience' - as the wood was found, or drilled out for weight considerations?

Two 8’ x 4’ sheets of 18 mm were cut into 150 mm (6”) strips, some of which were then cut into shorter lengths. The 100 mm (4”) holes were cut mainly for weight saving and also wiring access (anyone want dozens of 4” wheels). The crossing parts have half slotted joints. All butt joints are screwed and glued. Slotted joints will be stabilised with suitable right angle brackets. 150 mm square 18 mm thick plates are attached for the legs which are from Ikea @ £2.50 each. The 8’ and 4’ sections will be connected by butt strap plates. I had intended to stagger the joints of these long lengths for greater strength but I assembled it wrong before I realised the error and decided to live with it on this side. Ideally it would have been made as two 6’ modules either side bolted together but the wood I bought didn’t stretch that far without needing another sheet and that would have meant lots of heavy plywood left over, so I binned that idea.

This is the cutting list...

/media/tinymce_upload/f4cc518824b7694267f85c720d29b3d9.JPG

You've got a really interesting trackplan there, with lots of good ideas.  I've had a few thoughts of my own which are merely suggestions:

1. With boards 3 feet wide the corners are quite a long stretch away - I worry that if you intend doing lots of scenic work at arms length you will have to lean over a long way and end up with back problems - unless you also have access from the outsides - in which case, no problem.
  2. Do you like passenger trains?  If so, I think your station platforms are a bit on the short side.  The one on the straight in the lower central position could be quite a bit longer if you made the passing loops longer.  

Here's what I was getting at in my last post:

/media/tinymce_upload/6523e3953d57f72998b915244793a9b8.png

My drawing skills on a computer are minimal - but you'll see I have extended the loop on the inner blue line, and on the outer red, by using a little flexitrack you can fit a left express point at the left hand end, and a right express point at the right hand end.  It would take a bit of trial and error to see how much of the settrack curve at each end would need replacing by flexitrack/the express point, but it would look nice coming out of a sharpish curve on an express point with it's gentler radius.  

You can now run longer passenger trains that can stop in either direction at this station.

Thanks for your suggestions Doc. I am not averse to making changes even at this stage.

The final as built track plan will no doubt be slightly tweaked from the as planned version as I go along, and this could include lengthening platforms, most of which could be doubled in length. The one you highlight is only 2’ but could be stretched to almost 4’. The corner platforms could be extended along each straight edge as required with suitable scenic masking.

For the build I can treat the long side sections as separate layouts by moving them away from the walls for access to scenic work, track laying, other details, etc. The bridge section at the far end will be bolted in to anchor the main sections and the bridge section at this end will be easily removable, hence for day to day running I only need to fret about derailing anywhere or uncoupling say in the goods areas. For rework or refurb I can revert to two main boards.

The platform lengths were designed for much shorter trains than 10-12 coach mainline rakes. I don’t have that many coaches anyhow, so a max of 4-5 and a loco. Other trains will be autocoach, DMU, local branch 2-3 coaches. Goods trains will likely max out at ten wagons. I will have a lot of spare locos hanging around looking for work.

Thought I had  better post a picture of the layout totem. It should have been in the first post but I missed it.

/media/tinymce_upload/1658a57660539f7ba8fa11d3be0f96ae.jpg

The four foot add on module for the left hand main section is complete and will be trial fitted tomorrow and a photo posted.

Module 1A (4 ft section) added to original module 1 (8 ft section). Adjacent work bench trimmed to fit the gap re,aining between window wall and framework.

One more of these to build (2 and 2A) and then the joining sections (modules 3 and 4), before the top boards can be placed and adjusted for gradient levels.

Trackplan is being amended to lengthen platforms following advice of others.

Yes I know one leg looks wonky but it isn’t - just odd camera angle.

/media/tinymce_upload/0b2c5fc6d1b5cb3e45176104951e9a6e.JPG

Hi RAF96

Oi! that's cheating 😆

Looks like an interesting project and a big one might be worth having a read of your favorite Model Railway Guru"s published works.

Before going to far just to make sure you have thought of everything at planning stage.

It looks a bit flat to me, a bit more up and down in the scenery would be good if you can, and a bit of a rethink of the scenery at the up and over it somehow doesn't look quite right.

It looks like you could possibly pull some John Allen sneaky-ness at the bottom of the layout and have a station on the outer loops as well doubling the size of the built up area and carefully set up still looking right when viewed from either side.

It will be interesting to see how this progresses.

regards John

• 2 weeks later...

I have replanned it a bot since then Doc to give maximum possible platform lengths and also to move the tracks away from the board edges for greater clerance coming off the curves.

The flattish scenics are only representative at present for guidance. The actuals will be winged as I go on the day. The coal drop will have to be rethought as I can’t have a dropped quayside their due to framework getting in the way.

Main board 2 framework is complete awaiting a bit of floor clearance before I can fit the legs and stand it in position ready to mount the top board.

/media/tinymce_upload/cb9a978efdf14a69d2e79641eeb0126b.JPG