Can DCC ready loco run on DC with out decoder.

Kaustubh

Good Day All !

I am just newbie in this hobby. I am from India and wanted to purchase https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack-era-1.html which says it is DCC ready. 

Now questons are below:-

1. Which DCC Decoder I need to use in this?

2. with out DCC decoder will this loco run on DC controller? (I have bachman EZ controller already). 

Thanks in advance. 

To convert a regular DC model to DCC you need to cut the wires from the pickups to the motor to insert a DCC decoder (DCC chip mounted on circuit board). The DCC socket mentioned by Choralc allows just that. Two of the pins are from the pickups and two go to the motor. There is a small DCC blanking plate that plugs into the DCC socket that connects one pickup wire to one motor wire and the other pickup wire to the other motor wire for DC running. To connect a DCC chip and allow DCC running you unplug the blanking plug and plug in the DCC plug from the decoder. Additional pins will aslo allow the blanking plug to connect any lighting circuit.

I have preordered the ‘Rocket’ and will also be looking to convert to DDC. Hattons promotes its own 8 pin decoder solution but the Hornby catalogue mentions a 6 pin decoder like they use on some of their other models.

I am away at the moment so can’t recall the page number. Therefore I would seek confirmation from Hornby before committing to a purchase. Maybe even wait until we have the model in our hands to see exactly what and how it needs to be installed. I have come a cropper before (my fault of course) by expecting something and then finding out it is not the case.

To convert a regular DC model to DCC you need to cut the wires from the pickups to the motor to insert a DCC decoder (DCC chip mounted on circuit board). The DCC socket mentioned by Choralc allows just that. Two of the pins are from the pickups and two go to the motor. There is a small DCC blanking plate that plugs into the DCC socket that connects one pickup wire to one motor wire and the other pickup wire to the other motor wire for DC running. To connect a DCC chip and allow DCC running you unplug the blanking plug and plug in the DCC plug from the decoder. Additional pins will aslo allow the blanking plug to connect any lighting circuit.

The model in question already has a decoder socket as it is described as DCC Ready, therefore most of your post is not applicable.

As it is DCC Ready it will be supplied with a blanking plug installed and it will happily run on a DC track without any problems. Just do NOT try to put it on a DCC track unless it has a decoder fitted or it will fry the motor.

The model in question already has a decoder socket as it is described as DCC Ready, therefore most of your post is not applicable.

As it is DCC Ready it will be supplied with a blanking plug installed and it will happily run on a DC track without any problems. Just do NOT try to put it on a DCC track unless it has a decoder fitted or it will fry the motor.

My apologies. I was trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to explain why the DCC blanking plug (fitted as standard into the DCC socket in a DCC ready locomotive) makes a DCC ready locomotive run as a regular DC locomotive on a DC layout.

I am just concerned that people are asking sensible questions, (original post) paying for and referring to a corporate publication to pre order, asking advice, and then still potentially having a problem to sort. We are supposed to be good at this, yet we from the above could have ordered different things. Hence my comment about wait and see or keeping stum. How is this good for newbies or anybody? This was a highlight of the new reveal after all.

RAF(96) has had confirmation from Hornby that the Rocket socket will be 6 Pin. You can read his announcement post here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/decoder-for-the-rocket/?p=1

To minimise the risk of purchase error, the posts above, that either said or speculated that the Rocket socket was 8 pin have been removed. Plus any posts that referred to (or quoted) the removed posts as well....to keep thread consistent for readability.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just concerned that people are asking sensible questions, (original post) paying for and referring to a corporate publication to pre order, asking advice, and then still potentially having a problem to sort. We are supposed to be good at this, yet we from the above could have ordered different things. Hence my comment about wait and see or keeping stum. How is this good for newbies or anybody? This was a highlight of the new reveal after all.

I apologize if I made any violation of the forum. 

Hi Kaustubh

As far as I am concerned you have not made any violation of the forum so therefore there is no need to apologise.

One of your questions asking what decoder to use created a misunderstanding in the forum as to whether a 6 or 8 pin socket would be used in the Rocket. Since Hornby’s publication was contradictory the discussion in this thread had to be amended by the moderators. None of which was your fault.

You will definitely need a Hornby 6 pin version if you wish to run on DCC.

Feel free to ask as many more questions as you like/need to someone will always be a long to help and welcome to the forum.