Two locos one track

Wellwhynot

Yes, as long as you realise that you are controlling the power to the Track and not the Loco's and as long as the Power Supply can cope with the demands of 2 Loco's, which it should be able to do.

Both Loco's will move, probably at slightly different speeds, even if the Loco's are 'identical'.

Yes, that is possible but not advisable......... you may overload the controller if it is a basic model and the two locos are unlikely to run at the same speed so one would catch the other ending in a tail-end shunt.......... 😮.........HB

We already know you are on analogue DC.........You need 2 sidings, one for each loco.........the points will act as isolating switches so you can open one point, drive the loco out onto the main track then close the point........the other loco in it's siding will not move until you park up the first loco then open the 2nd point and so on.......HB

The one in the siding will be isolated when the point is reversed so you can then control the other loco. You can use points as power route switches for the purposes of running two locos on one DC (analogue) layout.

Same thing. Two locos  on the same track  going in the same  direction. Whether they are connected together doesn't make that much difference unless they have very different running characteristics such as one loco is faster than the other. Just pointing out two locos will run on the same  track. Probably not advisable with a cheap controller.

@ W. W.  N. :- Here is a Prime example of what can happen when you run 2 Locos on the same Track (I also have analogue) ... Way back in April 2013, I made a video of my 2 little blue Lima Diesels on the same track chasing each other...The video is called "The Diesel Chase!!!" & here is the Link if you want to see :- 

It is very fun to watch  😀

just had a test run only using one siding with one set of points they will only be running at the same time for a few seconds just to give time for them to pass each other then one would be stationary until my next change over,  need to practice my timing as one loco is faster than the other as was stated earlier, Thanks for all the advice 

For real fun try running two Hornby Dublo 3 rail locomotives on the same track! It is usually OK if you run them tender to chimney, but try coupling them chimney to chimney and you have a problem!

I wanted to run two Hornby Dublo 3 rail English Electric type 1 Bo-Bos nose to nose as per prototype , so I had to jigger one of them by reversing the motor magnet. D8000 is correct, but D8017 has the motor reversed. (D8017 is a two rail body on a three rail chassis, so it is easy to tell them apart.) 

The other problem I had with these two locos, but the Wrenn two rail version, running them nose to nose, is that a short occurs through the couplings which are metal tension locks attached to the metal bogie frames, so I had to replace the metal couplings with plastic ones. (If you recall  there was a problem discussed some time ago here concerning coupling a Triang R52 to a R153 for a similar reason).

Frequently run 2 (or more) locos on the same fairly long analog track. But I have timed each loco beforehand over a couple of laps and noted down their performances --also quite good fun, Jimmy. 😆   So I do not pair a very rapid loco with a slow one to avoid mishaps.

Normally use an H&M Duette but sometimes a Hornby R8520, the modern cheapy.

You can divide the oval in to 2 electically separated sections, by using 4 IRJs. Power each section from the one controller. In the power to one section (or both if you so desire), add a potentiometer rated at say 25R, wired as a rheostat. This will vary the resistance and hence the current supplied to the section. You can then utilise this to slow down the faster loco as it passes through the section, so it doesn't catch up to the slower loco.