which way round does a class 20 go?

Dorchester Yard

I can confirm that a class 20 does have duplicated controls for travel in both directions , unlike a class 08 which only has them on the side next to the bonnet. What the 08 does have are duplicated controls on either side so that it can be driven from the left or right hand side of the cab. The class 20 cab is larger too, the 08 is very cramped in comparison. 

/media/tinymce_upload/76eb07a3a7c783109cd1ce1fe023fe69.jpg

The two driving desks are shown dotted on this plan.

As a former railway employee I know that my collegues would do whatever is easier and safer rather than make life difficult. Running nose first with a class 20 made sighting signals more difficult, and I am sure most of you will agree it is extremely important for the driver to see signals in good time in order to stop at one if it was at 'danger'. The fact that the cab back end had two lovely big windows from which signals were easy to see but the front had fairly small ones and a hulking great bonnet stretching out ahead, I know which way I would choose to drive, should I have a choice.  

Now there wasn't always a choice, especially if the loco was operating singly, but where it was usual to use them in pairs, as it certainly was on the Eastern, North Eastern and London Midland regions the depots would move heaven and earth to fix them with cabs outermost. I can't speak for those odd folk north of Hadrian's Wall, and the Southern and Western didn't use them much, but I am reasonably sure that in the 'blue diesel ' period and after they usually worked nose to nose.

Comparing them to the 350hp shunter (08) is not a valid choice because they were used in very different ways. Class 20s would operate freight trains over significant distances, but the 08 was usually used for shunting and very short trips. Class 20s had a top speed of 75mph, but the 08 was limited to 15 mph, and 09s limited to 27.5 mph. 

Thank you to Rob for the link to the North Norfolk Railway, the class 20 looks a handsome beast in the ‘Met’ livery.  Also to WTD for the shot showing a pair hauling the new ‘S’ stock to Neasden.  Saw these two a few times when using the Met to go into London, both ‘at rest’ in Neasden and also in mid-haul..  Great stuff, as always from this great forum.  Thanks to all concerned.

Rod

Derek, that seems a sensible idea. 

When the EE Type 1 first appeared (They didn't become class 20 for many years) it was intended to use them singly, and that is exactly how they were used. I remember seeing them on LMR local passenger services out of Euston pulling trains of non-corridor stock, and they were used both ways round indescriminately.  They were green in those days with a grey top to the bonnet, red buffer beam  and no yellow on either end.  They were also used on short freight trains, in fact that was their main work, and the same applied.

However suitable work for a 1000 hp locomotive began to disappear.  The number of goods yards dwindled and freight trains became longer and heavier passing between large terminals. Their contemporaries the 800hp BTH and North British type 1 (TOPS classes 15 and 16) were all scrapped, the newer Clayton 900hp, (class 17) also went the same way, there just wasn't the work for them, but the English Electric type 1 could be used on productive work, especially if they were coupled nose to nose and treated as a very sure footed type 4. (a peculiar case where 1 + 1 = 4!)

The sound of a pair of 20s working hard was very distinctive, they had a staccato whistling sound, and even when idling they were instantly recognisable. 

I think they must be my all time favourite diesel loco.

EE locomotives certainly seem to have a longevity to them.

One of my 'small-medium' favourites was the 25 - which seemed very capable, could run as multiple units I believe, yet was removed from service ... in favour of the 20 or completely different application?

I don't see them that dissimilar - other than the 25 look much nicer and has twin cabs and a bit more power.

Were they unreliable cf the 20's?

Al.

The Derby Type 2 Bo-Bo was reasonably reliable and slightly more powerful than the EE Type 1 and lasted fairly well but it is noteworthy that the EE Type 3 Co-Co and EE Type 1 Bo-Bo has tended to outlast them in mainline service. The Derby type 2  had a Sulzer power plant and the Sulzers seemed to disappear quicker than the EE and Brush powered locomotives. The Brush type 4 and type 2  were still being used a fair time after most of the Sulzers had gone. The main exception seems to be the BRCW type 3 which still sees some use with West Coast Railways. 

Nevertheless there are quite a few Derby type 2s in preservation, the NYMR in particular uses them included for main line duties between Battersby and Whitby.