Attaching plaster of Paris rocks to hills

morairamike

Hi one and all

I am building my scenery. I have the plaster of Paris rock formation moulds and cast a couple of sets. My hill/mountain is polystyrene foam faced with plaster of Paris bandage. I now need to stick the rocks onto the hill/mountain face. I tried 'no nails' but it didn't stick. Now believe it or not I did one mountain and I am not sure what I used to stick them on, it's an age thing. So can anyone help. Had thought about polyfilla ready mix. 

Cheers. 

Personally, since the bandage has 'Plaster of Paris' (PoP) in it and the rocks are made of it too. Then I would have thought that another batch of thick slurry PoP would do the trick.

As WTD suggested - I inserted nails head-first into the plaster mold as the plaster was setting - two per mold. When set I just pushed the nails into my hill side (polystyrene covered with plaster bandage) - without going to mad it allowed me to re-position them - I found No-Nails worked fine with plaster/polystyrene.  Depending on what final finish you require, I can highly recommend the Woodland Scenics tutorial on YouTube.

https://flic.kr/p/2iggRna

I knew I had seen something about this in a Hornby mag and yes it was in the Jan 2020.

They say they used No Nails which I had tried. So today I thought I'll try another tool from arsenal, the hot glue gun and that worked well. You have to be quick on large pieces like the one in the Woodland scenic mould as the glue goes off quite quickly so the dab of glue in strategic areas won there. So the first face has its rock just got to fill the gaps in with PoP and shape. Have to say there is something very satisfying about shaving a PoP rock to fit, tickle here and there with a sharp knife blade. Thanks for input.

I see that photos are appearing quite quickly or are they the members who have trust poster clearence certificates.

• 2 weeks later...

My scenery building continues. The attachment of rocks us now mastered, using no nails and then after hour using a PoP mix of 5ml water to 12ml of powder to produce a fairly liquid mix. Wet the gap between the rock and the face it's mounted on. They add the PoP mix into the gaps with a stiff paint brushes during that the gap is filled. Use water on brush to smooth of joints. If the PiO has covered too much detail then etch with small screw driver or other tool to remove the excess PoP. Leave to dry for 24 hours then apply colour wash. Woodland scenic recommend 3 colours, two mixed 16 parts water to 1 paint and one 32:1. The first two colours are applied in leopard spots then sealed with scenic cement before the thinner colour is applied allover and then sealed with scenic cement. 

So here's a photo of the latest stage of the build./media/tinymce_upload/6e5d63cf47255f71518c100082deb13c.jpg