New to model Railway help [DC Analogue WYE support issue]

Guest Chrissaf

Triangles and return loops in a two rail situation needs special switching to prevent short circuits. This occurs because at some point the positive rail meets the negative rail. What is needed is an isolating section between the points where the train can stand while the polarity is reversed. The isolating section has to be at least as long as your longest locomotive with isolating rail joiners in both rails at both ends. The isolating section is connected to the power supply by a double pole double throw switch with centre off, wired so that the polarity to the isolating section can be swapped while the locomotive stands in it. At the same time the controller direction will also have to be reversed.

Jamie,

As you have correctly identified a triangle (called a WYE in railway speak) generates a short circuit. In a DCC layout it is possible to use a fairly simple automated all electronic switching solution. However this is not possible in a DC Analogue layout.

This previous thread discusses how to tackle a WYE in DC Analogue in some significant depth:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/layout-advice-please/?p=1

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Hi, I'm new to modelling so could do with some help.

i have a loop with 2 sidings coming off which work fine Independently, however I want to connect the 2 so you can go in and out of both . I have done this with y points to create a triangle but this causes problems with a short circuit when I try to go between the 2.

I'm running a dc circuit, is there an easy way to solve this ?

hope you understand what I mean

thanks Jamie

Wiki just happened to come top of my Google search list. And after a further search, all the links I have found seem to point back to the Wiki entry.

I know I didn't need to provide proof as WYE had already been mentioned by Jane in the previous post. I just provided the link for general information for anybody who might be interested.

Is it an American term?

To be honest I don't really know, but the Wiki entry lists some American resource material at the bottom of the page.....so it could very well be.

I've just always known it as a WYE from when I was researching the content for my 'Reverse Loop Tutorial' PDF that I sometimes post a link to in replies to poster's 'Reverse Loop' questions.

I have always known a triangle track formation as a Wye junction, commonly used in the real world in lieu of a TT. - the old Dereham trackage had this arrangment. Where does the term come from - no idea - but it describes each corner of the triangle and makes perfect sense to me.