replacement motor after 100 hours?

annagr

As a first timer I have bought the Somerset Belle set as a 'practice' trainset. Reading the literature I see that the motor may not run more than 100 hours and will then need to be replaced. Reference is made to 'type M' motor so I assume that is the motor in the Somerset Belle. So is this a common thing for motors to have to be replaced? What about on the much more expensive locomotives - do motors run longer? How do you find out in advance of purchasing a locomotive if it is a type that needs replacement motors periodically? Am I worrying for nothing? It sound like scary stuff for a newbie.

I have had some my locomotives longer than 10 years and none of them have had motor changed since I have owned them. Most locomotives I own, were bought new, but I couldn't tell you how long I have had any of them running for, since I have owned them. The longest I run them for is probably 30 minutes maximum and that only the half speed on the controller or less. I never run any of the locomotives past the half speed on the controller to the maximum speed.

GNR-Gorodn-4 (HF)

Hello Annagr  😀

Tenpointfive beat me too it - i was goping to surjest to watch the same "Sam's Trains" video!!!

Also like Jacob (GNR-Gorodn-4 (HF)) I have had Loco's  well even Longer than 10 years may be even 20 to 30 years!!! & I have never had to change a motor!!! I think that you are 

Am I worrying for nothing?

Yes - Just look after your Loco's - Don't put them on full speed all the time - some folk on here (in fact I'm supprised that no - one has said this yet) You should "Run the Loco in" - I think it is some thing like run continous 10 mins forward then 10 mins backwards - but I've never done that & my Loco's have been fine (apart from a few Dodgy 2nd hand Locos which I got from a Market Stall - had a few probs with them)

Typically it's check all bolts, check lubrication - little touch (visible means too much) - then run light (no train) at up to half power for 30-60 minutes one way, then 30-60 minutes the other way - up to 2 hours to 'break in'.

I just had my Q1 running, pulling 6 coaches for a few hours this afternoon - circle of 4th radius so not ideal but nice to have some 'railway activity'.

Wheel contact patches and flanges are nice and shiny!!

Al.

As far as i am aware the 100 hours is the minimun amount of time before the brushes fail so with care they can last longer before failing 

I would prefer Hornby to fit motors with replacable brushes rather than can motors. In a large proportion of failure cases the brushes in the motor have worn away but the motor it self is still sound, Replacable brushes would be cheaper than replacement motors if available. 

There are cases where the winding wire has broken or a solder join has failed so the motor needs replaceing. 

From both an eviromental point of view and economic point of view would it be better to have a dead motor exchange where the dead motor could be exchanged for a good motor via a service agent, The motor could then be sent for rewinding and / or re soldering or just rebrushing, and tested then sent out to another service agent.

Hornby Dublo motors, Rovex X03/04s, X05, TT, Minic motorway and Early Scalextic motors,  early Rovex motor bogies Ringfield Motors, Lima Pancake, early Hornby M7's, Airfix loco motors plus many others all had replacable brush motors. So I think Hornby should review with some seriousness its motor prequirment and look at either replacable brush motors or brushless motors to replace the can motors it currently fits.

The motor issue is a major item that is stopping me from buying more new Hornby Locos. 

Older and the better quality newer motors have proper brushes, but many cheap modern motors merely have bits of bent phosphor bronze as brushes, not much different from wheel wipers. These do wear out due mainly to spark errosion, but also basic friction between moving parts.

I well remember the standard and hi-power can motors in Monogram slot cars that had a chrome case and an end plate mounting replaceable brushes held in sturdy guides by small lever springs. These brushes and springs were readily available and I am surprised it is not the norm for quality loco motors.

/media/tinymce_upload/46b5835ec665fcbdff6229b50fcb2d80.png