The Rocket

I purchased The Rocket set when it was last released in the 1980's.  When it arrived the box was damaged, and so Hornby kindly sent a replacement,  The Rocket box has never been opened, neither has the replacement box, so both are still "Mint".  I stll have all the Hornby catalogues from 1979 on, when my interest was rekindled after about a 15 year absence when girls and other things took up my time.  One year was designated "The Year of the Locomotive", and Hornby released new locomotives at an alarming rate.  Many of these locomotives I would buy two, 1 to run, 1 to collect.  The"collect" locos are stil mint boxed to this day.  I also have a fair collection of used and mint Airfix too!

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4472, welcome to the Hornby Forum.  😀

I‘m a little confused by this post. Are you just generally telling us what you own, or are you trying to find out what they are worth to sell them?

If you looking to sell them, you can’t sell them here, as that’s against the rules.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

If that was an introduction, then WELCOME to the Hornby forum.

Being a fan of operational things, I've never seen the point of having something you really like, wanted, purchased, then simply placed in a dark room on a shelf, or in a dry cupboard, never to be used ... always seems pointless and generally pot luck if you strike lucky or not on a resale 20 years later - some remain 'seriously wanted' others not.

Personal preference, but your money, your call.

Hornby customer service in replacing the box - well done Hornby.

It generally seems to be a bit of luck nowadays - there are some very good stories coming out recently, of excellent after sales support, amongst others, which are less so.

Al.

In my view toys/models are not a good investment apart from the Star Wars type products. Years ago I had a fairly large  collection of mint limited edition Models Of Yesteryear vehicles. Probably cost  me on average 5 to 10 pound each. Got 25 pence each for them except for two very rare ones. Got £2 each for them.  ☹️

What about the Hornby Thomas & Friends models then, Brian? Those are good investments. People who bought an R9684 Murdoch back in 2011, for around £80.00 and who put it away and are selling them now ori in the future get loads of models.

Whether or not you make any profit or not, really gets down to how much the buyer wants to pay for them. Even some modles and toys that are old and long discontiued do not make as mcuh as you might think. It all depends how rare the product is and how much someone is prepared to pay.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF) 

People will always pay silly money for something they really want but if they don't want it you will lose money. For instance Bachmann may well bring out a new Murdoch that knocks spots off the Hornby version and yours will be worth very little. Much like the old Hornby APT, their value will go down. But of course you bought your Thomas products because you like them.

I can't see that happening. The Bachmann Thomas models don't even have seperate handrails and most of the Hornby Thomas models do, so I couldn't see a Bachmann Murdoch being better than a Hornby one; I know what you mean though.

My collections have not been purchase for investiment though, so there current value does not affect me, really.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Maybe next year, this year's models are Thomas, Percy, James and Gordon.......oh and  I nearly forgot Toby the Tram with moving eyes.........there's a good selection of 4 wheel coaches..........I can see Jacob spending loads this year adding to his collection......... 🤔........HB

• 2 weeks later...

I think today's (13th Feb) Signal Box short video is a humorous acknowledgement that this month's edition was a bit rushed. I am very pleased to see the final version of The Rocket runs much better than the one in the original video. Well done Mike for being humble and yet also amusing.

I had a chuckle at it, although I thought the sling was a bit OTT, bruises and black eyes said it all! 

Is this something DG might incorporate into a future missive, after all Grouty was not above a bit of 'friendly persuasion' (neither too was Fletch)

Not sure but I would imagine if the Rocket has been left sealed in its box for nigh on 40 years there is a high risk it no longer works (I may be wrong though). The new version is now out, so even if was fully working i would imagine it would have lost a large part of its value. The Tri-ang one was great when it was released in 1963 (I had one so I know) and seemed tiny at the time (as no doubt it was when re-released), but when compared to the new version, it looks to be suffering from a severe case of middle (or old) age spread. 

The pre-orders are sold out now. Am i right to think that over the year anyone will be able to buy them as more come in, or do you think they'll be hard to come by (the rocket?).

Note about the old APT prices on ebay will be coming down. Bizarely i had been eying them up before the 2020 range came out. 

I recently sold a few of my old Hornby locos that were mint. It wasn't that I was a collector it was just that they had been bought over the years and I never got round to running them. As I prefer the newer locos ( better pickups) as I run DCC and sound, I decided to get rid of my tender driven Hornby Ringfields ones (the Bachmanns I modified). I got slightly less than I paid for them, so although they are not a great investment (like classic bike parts, my other hobby), I didn't really lose a lot. So it seems that the only time a loco is worth more that its initial purchase price, is in the couple of months immediately after all the Suppliers have run out of them, unless it is rebuilt West Country Wrenn.

I've had an email from the Courier to say it will be delivered today [actually within the next hour & half]. This is one of the 1960s style Ltd Ed. I believe there is usually a slight lag before the Dealers get their allocations and can distribute but have no firm timescale. As Modelnut 19 states the second batch are due slightly later, I think that was mentioned in the Engine Shed article.