The Rocket

Well, based on what has been written here, I am glad that my pre-order for this model was cancelled by supplier (because they did not receive sufficient stock, and they oversold).  Seems to be a shoddy model. Never mind, am £190 better off than I thought.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does smoke LC and looks very effective.  The chimney with seuthe smoke unit in doesn't get too hot, it does get quite warm though, later examples have a resistor fitted in place of a smoke unit.  It is fine on conventional non-steel track but the magnadehsion is a benefit.  The Tri-ang Rocket will haul 3 coaches with ease on good trackwork.

I  am very disappointed to read about the quality of these Stephenson's Rockets. I thought Hornby had restored the quality from the issues they had a few years ago. They appear to be back. It's less than 2 months ago since the 2020 announcements were released and it sounds like these Stephenson's Rockets have been rushly made.

Is anyone able to post images of their problems with their Stephenson's Rocket, please? I am interested in viewing what they all appear to be suffering with.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

Well, based on what has been written here, I am glad that my pre-order for this model was cancelled by supplier (because they did not receive sufficient stock, and they oversold).  Seems to be a shoddy model. Never mind, am £190 better off than I thought.

I wouldn't say it was a shoddy model. It is an exquisite model, but is is a very delicate. I think there may be issues with the packaging that do not help matters, but I am sure once any issues are addressed it will be a model well worth having. It was a well loved model 56 years ago and I am sure it will be again. Personally I think this one is better than the 1963 version.

I think there's a difference between detail, quality and strength / fragility.

This new model appears to be very well detailed, but to the point it's really quite difficult to manipulate / handle without potentially, and apparently probably damaging it.

Quite, a difference a few appear not to be able to distinguish. I have sold my model, because I wanted to run it not leave it on display but it was so delicate in places that I reasoned I would damage it.

I have just fitted a DCC decoder in mine and I think it is wonderful. I can see the issues with fragility and I have issues with whether I want to use it or keep it in the box. It runs wonderfully, the bigest two issues I have is whether to glue the men in, as they wobble when the train runs, but if I glue them in, I damage the model and the chains to link the carriages together (I am using jewellary chain). I think on reflection I should use it, in the past I have bought loads of limited edition models, only to find than unless they are really special, they are never worth that much more.

I have just fitted a DCC decoder in mine and I think it is wonderful. I can see the issues with fragility and I have issues with whether I want to use it or keep it in the box. It runs wonderfully, the bigest two issues I have is whether to glue the men in, as they wobble when the train runs, but if I glue them in, I damage the model and the chains to link the carriages together (I am using jewellary chain). I think on reflection I should use it, in the past I have bought loads of limited edition models, only to find than unless they are really special, they are never worth that much more.

Perhaps it is just sour grapes on my part that I read into posts that it was shoddy. I take others comments that I have confused fragility with shoddiness. I was very disappointed that I did not get mine. I have to take issue with suppliers who take orders that they are unable to fulfill, it does a great dis-service to enthusiasts like me, particularly when you see lots of re-sellers on Ebay asking ridiculous sums of money for the model. I think that Hornby have a certain level of responsibility to ensure that these things do not happen. Regarding the supplier that I had placed pre-order with, I have cancelled all of my pre-orders and placed them with suppliers who are more trustworthy.

I have just watched a Brand new unopened, Rocket Centenery Train Pack go for £285.53p plus £7.99p postage. 😮

I mean, it's not a bad model by any means. But..............!!!

This is why I am so incensed, the real enthusiasts miss out while mercenary re-sellers make a bomb. Anyhow the supplier that I was using ultimately looses out because of their mismanagement of pre-orders, I have moved all of my other pre-orders to other suppliers and vowed only to shop with them again as a last resort. Not that they will care, so they loose one customer, the sort of sales they must make, they will not even notice.

Obviously, the place in Sheffield (no names mentioned, but I think everyone knows), where I ordered mine from, must get less orders than the one in Liverpool, as I ordered mine quite late. I didn't pickup the catalogue until about a week after they released it, I then ordered the Rocket next day. I am glad I bought it, as I was a child when they first released it and always wanted one. I must admit I am not disappointed, I think it is brilliant. With a Zimo DCC decoder installed it runs really slowly. Hopefully the people that missed out will be able to pick up the other version, I was undecided which one to get, but thought the presentation box looked better.

I have had mine running today, loco and tender only, and it runs very smoothly and quiet. I have glued one of the coach buffers back on, it just fell off as I was handling it, but one of the coupling hooks also dropped off when I tried to attach the chain links, and while I was trying to put it back with tweezers it shot out and landed on the carpet, never to be seen again. Hattons told me the best they could do is a refund as they have no more stock.  I have emailed Hornby customer service to see if they can provide a replacement hook . If not I'll try and fabricate something suitable myself, I am sure I can make something a bit more robust. 

The models are extremely delicate and getting them out of the packaging is terrifying. Compared to the 1963 originals these are remarkably fine detail, and I wonder how many which are actually run will be around in a years time. I shall probably leave mine in its box and only get it out on special occasions.

Another went last night for £5 more, there is also another at £225, with an 1hr - 40 minutes to go.

Yep, seems to be the same seller, who appears to.... 'live on an Island'.!!  Must be Robinson Crusoe, or Tom Hanks.

But it also could be Long John Silver.....he was a Pirate. 😉

In a reply on RMWeb, Dave of Hattons said they had not put a block on multiple purchases but had not noticed any 'excessive behaviour' or words to that effect.

I've just taken a quick look now and see Jadlam Toys & Hobbies, 'a reputable retailer' are selling the limited edition one for £330.

Not sure a recognised Hornby retailer should - or shouldn't - be doing that. Not cricket.

Still, if somebody's mug enough to want to pay £140 over the odds, then more fool them ...

Al.

Being that most of the retailers buy the stock from Hornby Hobbies, I believe their right is to sell the models for as much or as little, as they want to. It is not difficult to find out how much people are willing to pay for these Hornby Centenary Year Tri-ang Railways Stephenson's Rocket Train Packs, so why should not a retailer, such as Jadlam Toys & Models, join in and sell them for this high amount of profit?

When the 2015 and 2016 made Hornby Thomas & Friends models (The most recent products, before Hornby discontinued the range in December 2018), when the each of the models became hard to get hold of, as the stock was quickly drying up, Jadlam Toys & Models also listed the models for a lot more than their RRP. This is not the first time this model shop company has done this.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

I used to have the original Triang Railways (pre Hornby) version, with the smoking chimney, when it was new. Not sure if it will work properly on modern (non ferrous) track as it relied on magnets to grip ("Magnatraction"). The new version definatly looks better (more realistic).

It will have less pull - you could get round that by fitting the DCC Concepts Power Base under the track if neccessary. I did embark on reactivating my 1980s one, the motor was shot so I fitted a new Mashima motor and added pick ups to its tender using DCC Concepts pickup springs and a decoder (TCS M1) only to find the wheels could not pass through current standard Peco Points; those in the 1980s had wider clearances. Have the R3810 set on order, their are sellers out there still taking orders if you look hard enough and my order assuming it turns up will be cheaper than Hattons once postage is taken in account.

Bumping up the price on scarce collectables is an extremely common practice, which is why certain postage stamps fetch five or six figure sums. This applies just as much to model railways, for example a pre-War Hornby gauge O Princess Elizabeth can sell for up to £3000 depending upon condition. Some Hornby Dublo and Wrenn rarities can fetch £500 plus. This was happening long before Ebay came on the scene. 

Picasso painting anybody?

There should be a sense of loyalty for the Hornby Club members to be offered classic collections firstly.(Is that the case.?? ) Then it's a case if they don't take up the offer, then off they go to whoever wants to buy them, or the punters who want to pay well over the odds.

I agree to some extent with 'Club Members' being given 1st refusal.

I also agree that sales / person should not exceed 2 (some may want to run one, exhibit one).

Having said that, the market has been 'quite competitive' recently, so running costs may have increased over time, and margins decreased through competition, so some may argue that vendors should be permitted the opportunity to profit 'a reasonable amount' from time to time ...

Al.