wheel change intercity coach

helpmaboab

Is it just the wheels that are missing or is it the bogie too?

(the wheels fit the bogie the bogie fits the coach)

If it is just the wheels, then they just clip into the bogie.

Scroll 1/4 of the way down this page:

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/hornby_spares_wheels_and_tyres.htm

/media/tinymce_upload/0d7a01bdaa88e4a9219047bf218fa6e1.jpg

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Measure the diameter of the wheel. They are likely to be 12mm or 14.1mm. Once you know the size and style i.e solid disk or holed etc. Then peruse all the coach wheels on the linked page I provided. Most coach wheels are based on a small selection of fairly standard Hornby wheels.

Compare the wheels shown the page with any that still exist on one of the coaches. Look to the axles, ascertain whether they are pointed on the ends (pointed axles are more common on later rolling stock).

I just picked the Pedolino wheels as being something similar to Intercity.

• 1 month later...

If someone knew the answer easily, they would have given it to you already. If you want to get the best chance of getting more accurate information, then your best bet is to photograph the wheels you are trying to match so that members have at least a fighting chance of helping you. Use the black and white hill icon tool to the left of the smiley to upload a photo. The photo will be held back for approval by Hornby, so it won't appear straight away.

Or just change ALL the wheels to new ones that all match.

I changed mine recently on HST intercity, that dates back to 80's/ 90's as Chris says they just clip in. In my case I wanted to replace the original plastic ones for newer metal ones to give better running. Looking at my EBay history I am pretty sure I used Hornby R8096.

When I change my rolling stock that plastic wheels for metal wheels, if it has 3 hole plastic wheels, I fit it has 3 hole metal wheels. If it has spoked plastic wheels, I fit it with 3 hole metal wheels. This nears the originality of the coach / wagon.

Also, plastic wheels do not run as well, as the metal wheels. I have also noticed over the many years of being in the hobby, that the plastic wheels makes the track dirty faster, than metal wheels do.

GNR-Gordon-4 (HF)

From the last type of MK II coaches onwards, the wheel diameter of the real thing was 3ft 0ins. So the correct OO model size is 12mm. 14mm wheels are too big and will foul the brake blocks.

Hornby fitted 3-hole wheels to some coaches needing 12mm wheels. These are only appropriate for freight vehicles, but originally Hornby economized by manufacturing only 2 types of wheels. 12mm plain wheels are now available as R8096.

if it has 3 hole plastic wheels, I fit it has 3 hole metal wheels. If it has spoked plastic wheels, I fit it with 3 hole metal wheels.

Jacob - could you read this part again and make sure it is what you meant to say? R-

I didn't realise that about plastic wheels, I just changed mine for smoother running and initially I had issues with the HST pulling the coaches. I late found that the HST had a winding on its ringfield open circuit. It definitely runs well now. That gives me an even greater reason to change all my plastic wheels.