Sundeala

holbeck67

Hi guys. I'm new here and returning to railway modelling after a gap of many years. I'm pondering baseboard materials. I've been looking on ebay and Amazon and found some very reasonably priced MDF boards, i.e. £28 for a 6x3 board on ebay. Trouble is, I then read that MDF is not ideal, that it can absorb moisture and can be difficult to fix track pins into, and that Sundeala is better. However, I then found a comment that Sundeala is not ideal as it too absorbs moisture. Any comments or advice would be very welcome.

It depends where you are going to have your layout. 

I use 18mm ply with a sheet of Sundeala bonded on top.  The Sundeal is ideal because pins can be just pushed in and they stay very firm but can be removed by levering gently under the relevant sleeper.

MDF is very hard and as you say will absorb moisture at which point it becomes thicker and therefore not flat anymore.  I would not use MDF.

Unless the layout is indoors, Plywood is probably the best, as it will allow you to drive pins in and will remain quite flat.

12mm ply.  Measure what sizes you want for the area you have. Then draw these out so they they sit on a plan that represents a large sheet of ply. Then take that plan to B&Q, select a large sheet of ply and take it to the cutting room. Give the plan to the operator and he  will cut the individual boards from the sheet. You get so many  cuts for free. I got all my individual boards out of two sheets with very little wastage. The resulting boards now fit in the car.

I had two boards with Sundeala tops for years and they never sagged or warped. If you have your layout indoors (the house not the garage), and the Sundeala is on a good framework, it will be fine and it is quiet. When I built my layout in the spare bedroom (10'x7') I used MRS in Poole (there are other suppliers), who supplied all the framework and tops in marine quality ply - they sell a variety of sizes as well as producing bespoke boards. The old boards with the sundeala tops were thrown away - they were still in very good condition.

Like you, I read so many conflicting opinions on the best base material to use and decided to go with 18mm marine ply, as my layout is in an insulated shed in the garden. Having bent a lot of track pins trying to get them into the ply, despite using small hammers, pin pushers, drilling pilot holes, etc, I was introduced to Sundeala on a track-laying course. Back home, I bonded a sheet to the ply and have had no problem with warping after two years, plus the pins are easy to insert, stay put, and can be easily removed. Sundeala also gives quieter running, is easy to cut and misplaced holes can be repaired by adding a little PVA to wetted, shredded, offcuts, moulding into an invisible repair then sanding flat.  

Lyd how in heavens name did you bend track pins in ply. Did you use a club hammer? I always push mine in with the end of some pliers but................. I only use Gaugemaster pins, very sharp with a perfectly flat head, like me. 

Gaugemaster pins are heavier and more robust than the Peco ones I use, which are slimmer, finer and more refined - like me! 

Track pin fixing, drill a small hole about 3/4 the diameter of the pin. Make hole slightly shorter than the pin. Push pin in. They can be easily removed.

Please note this method is not for everyone but it does remove the need to use a 4lb lump hammer which may damage those carefully laid rails which would necitate the removal of the pins just thumped home

I have to chuckle to myself for once again we get a question from a newcomer to the hobby who, unwittingly, does not provide the vital detail to enable an accurate answer to be provided . It is to be expected.

In this case the essential question is, where is the layout to be installed?

Instead we often get from the members their experiences, what was best for them in their environment.

Perhaps from our replies and further considerations, I might offer the following observations:-

BOARD                                                                     18mm ply           Sundeala (framed)

Installed in the house, normal temperature                XXXX                 XXX

Installed in the house unheated or garage                 XXX

Deld. cost of 9mm board         nominal 4x2                £16.50                £18

Quietness of running stock                                        XX                       XXXX

With basic loco sound incorporated                           XX                       XXXX

Ease of installation/maintenance of track in house   XXX                     XXXX

From the experts, Sundeala is considered old hat    XXXX                  X

Let us hope this may further help Holbeck.