Adding additional lanes to digital/wireless ARC Pro layouts

Cav Scout

Hello to all,  I'm another extremely new slot enthusiast with huge plans/dreams of a very large layout.  My question:  Adding additional lanes to the wireless system (haven't memorized all terms) using a combination of lane changers and single lane track.  My hopes are to be able to add additional lanes when running 6 cars to increase passing opertunites during races.  I've even thought of building a huge NASCAR oval using four lanes and enabling 12 cars to be used by drivers or the computer. The area I have available for the track is 20'x20'.  I'm sure one could just have two indapendant two lane tracks with completely seperate ARC PRO systems.  Not being very experienced electricaly/electronics would using the lane changers and single lanes create problems electricaly (phasing ? or adequate power supply ?) ?   

Thank you to those with the knowledge to help this cave man in his grand plans.

Hi Cav Scout - welcome to the forum!

The design of the ARC Pro powerbase means that a track layout is limited to two lanes over the powerbase - if laps are to be counted on all lanes. That does mean 90% of a layout could be 4-lane (or 6 or 8-lane), but over the powerbase, it must squeeze back down to two. That is not ideal for racing.

Personally, I much prefer just two lanes for digital racing. It makes a very realistic road course - usually with one lane through a corner being the preferred 'racing line'. Overtaking becomes an art, requiring patience and skill - as it does in real racing.

On a real oval, there are usually two grooves - sometimes cars might go 'three-wide' on a re-start, but that is rare. In a real Nascar race - or at a local short track - there will be 20-40 cars on track and drivers must negotiate their way through traffic. Contact happens - rubbin' is racing. So I think for six-car digital oval racing, two lanes also makes sense.

If you have a 20ft by 20ft space and you want to build an oval, I would suggest you try building a few different two-lane ovals with different corner radii. See what is most enjoyable to race on - bigger is not necessarily better. You might then decide your project should be flexible - a permanent main straight with pit lane, grandstands etc, but with the option of a paperclip-style oval (Bristol, Martinsville), a longer rectangle (Indianapolis), a triangle (Pocono) or tri-oval (Charlotte, Daytona etc). You would also have the option of a road course. With Scalextric track, you do not have to commit to one permanent design. You could create a whole Nascar season in that 20 x 20ft space with all the challenges of the different circuits. That might keep the racing fresh and exciting.

I hope that answers your question and gives you some ideas.

Hi Cav Scout - welcome to the forum!

The design of the ARC Pro powerbase means that a track layout is limited to two lanes over the powerbase - if laps are to be counted on all lanes. That does mean 90% of a layout could be 4-lane (or 6 or 8-lane), but over the powerbase, it must squeeze back down to two. That is not ideal for racing.

Personally, I much prefer just two lanes for digital racing. It makes a very realistic road course - usually with one lane through a corner being the preferred 'racing line'. Overtaking becomes an art, requiring patience and skill - as it does in real racing.

On a real oval, there are usually two grooves - sometimes cars might go 'three-wide' on a re-start, but that is rare. In a real Nascar race - or at a local short track - there will be 20-40 cars on track and drivers must negotiate their way through traffic. Contact happens - rubbin' is racing. So I think for six-car digital oval racing, two lanes also makes sense.

If you have a 20ft by 20ft space and you want to build an oval, I would suggest you try building a few different two-lane ovals with different corner radii. See what is most enjoyable to race on - bigger is not necessarily better. You might then decide your project should be flexible - a permanent main straight with pit lane, grandstands etc, but with the option of a paperclip-style oval (Bristol, Martinsville), a longer rectangle (Indianapolis), a triangle (Pocono) or tri-oval (Charlotte, Daytona etc). You would also have the option of a road course. With Scalextric track, you do not have to commit to one permanent design. You could create a whole Nascar season in that 20 x 20ft space with all the challenges of the different circuits. That might keep the racing fresh and exciting.

I hope that answers your question and gives you some ideas.

The reality is what do you really want to do and how much money do you want to spend to accomplish it.

Digital requires chips and lane changers plus additional track.

For 4 lanes digital that currently require 2 lanes for counting, will require 3 lane changers minimum and generally add more by 3s.

Most racers here did not even use 4th lane so switched to 3.

Three lane (2 counted feeding 1 additional) requires 2 changers minimum and generally add more by 2s and was most fun here.

Outside lane or inside one can be used as runoff or track can be used with lane protruding or lanes can be completed  with single lane 1/2 sections or spare track can be cut to make singles.

So additional digital lanes (still with limit of 6 cars) costs jump far more than standard 2 lane digital with a pitlane.

Analog going from 2 to 4 will only double costs (yes, less than digital)

But if you build a 4 lane using the outside and inside lanes for aprons, you will triple your costs, but it allow you to construct tracks with more curve choice (use outside lane of r1, both lanes of r2, and inside lane of r3).

You will need another brand of lap counters for 4 lanes counted and computer to hook to.

Suggest you start with a simple, inexpensive 2 lane analog set to see if  you really like the hobby.

However if you really really want a dozen digital cars running on 4 or more lanes, AND price is no object , suggest using slotit or scorpus.

I concur with Woodcote, stick to two lanes for more exciting racing. Maybe a pit lane if you want to do the refuelling (etc) game.

Don't make it to easy to overtake, it gets more exciting if a driver has to strategise, rather than just go to a spare lane and whizz past.

Linking two Arc Pro sets seems like a non-starter to me, they won't be properly linked into a single race.  You need to set up two iPads (etc).