Account Profile Avatar Photo

Guest Chrissaf

I apologize beforehand for the peculiar topic.

How did everyone on here find there profile images? I tried cropping some larger images to the 100 x 100 size limit, but they are all pixelated and you can barely tell what the image is of. Could anyone point me in the right direction to find some suitable images.

Cheers in advance,

14xx Tank

If you are using Windows 10, open a good quality picture in windows Edit, crop into a square then Resize choosing Pixels and enter 100 in the Horizontal box.  This should give you a 100 x 100 pixel image to save.......here is an example.......HB

/media/tinymce_upload/a5754c72d3ea798670bc34d655330492.jpg

Could anyone point me in the right direction to find some suitable images.

Give us a clue regarding what type of subject matter you want and it will be easier for members to offer suggestions.

In general drawings, sketches and stills from graphic animations work better than actual photos as they usually have a much smaller pixel size to start with. Take my Avatar for example. I found it on an Xbox360 games website via Google.

@ GWR 14xx TANK :-

Hiya, You can have my old Profile picture if you want to (it is the right size for profile picture!!!) :- 

/media/tinymce_upload/a64bb03348dcf3fe612da31f5e7d2302.gif 

It is a photo of a Green G. W. R. 0-6-0 Tank Loco No. 7715!!!

Which I took many moons ago with an old type 35mm film type camera  😀 So be privilege!!!

(I tried to up-load the original photo (which was a bit larger - so you could see better) but it wouldn't allow me for some strange reason  ☹️)

More for the benefit of others, I have put together a brief tutorial based upon the Howard Windows 10 method.

Having saved your base image in a folder, right click it and choose EDIT

/media/tinymce_upload/8b968d4b84cf0d7cf99cfc49ad63013b.jpg

Use the SELECT tool to choose the area of the original image you want to crop to.

/media/tinymce_upload/dfd4ea172840b133659ae599edab672b.jpg

With the selected area showing a selection box around it, choose the CROP tool.

/media/tinymce_upload/a613163fc30cfcceba9232f91f262463.jpg

Once the original image is cropped into a square, choose the RESIZE tool.

/media/tinymce_upload/17427f78713386bae762a383728fad06.jpg

Change the radio button to select PIXELS. Notice that the current image size is shown in the two boxes below it.

/media/tinymce_upload/c234a6957e0b93ad13a2a78966044318.jpg

Uncheck the MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO box and enter 100 & 100 in the two PIXEL boxes. Then click OK.

/media/tinymce_upload/66323d6357a11830b1f87979e3960cce.jpg

The image is now displayed as an image with a size 100 x 100 pixels and can be SAVED with a new file name for use as your Avatar.

/media/tinymce_upload/78cfee9b2db024c6f9fbd8215d0d84e0.jpg

I tired upload image few times but no luck.

The image is under 100x100 pixels.

/media/tinymce_upload/f068e99abd0a7e2a23458ef5968b39a1.jpg

Which platform are you uploading from PC, Mac or iPad, etc, although as you have sucessfully uploaded a picture there is no reason why the avatar shouldn’t upload.

Edit - as a last resort you could send your avatar to Forum Admin direct and ask them to load it for you.

Your Avatar image may be sitting in a queue waiting for the Forum Administrator to approve it. Similar to the queue your image had to sit in to be published in this thread.

I have completed the act of resizing an image to the 100x100 pixel limit of the profile photo image. I press "Save Forum Account Details" and it appears in green at the top that said details have been saved.

Except, when I look at the bottom of the forum page, my icon is still the deafult grey outline of a person.

Is it just that everyone else apart from me can see the image when I post, or am I missing something?

Thanks In Advance,

14xx Tank

Not before the early part of next week now at the earliest. Hornby admin staff don't work 'out of office hours' or 'weekends', and ComMods have no visibility of posted images to approve them on admins behalf. It may also be a case (don't know for sure) that the avatar approvals go to admin via a different forum software route than normal posted images. Thus there is a distinct possibility in the current admin situation that the temporary admin 'stand-in' may not see your avatar image to approve it. This maybe why your previous attempts to load an avatar image were unsuccessful.