Airfix 1/48 de Havilland D.H.82a Tiger Moth (A04104)

Ratch

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good, Ratch. You appear to be doing a bit a day. That savours the kit and extends it's build time over a period of many days, rather than opening the box sitting there until it's done and then you look for something else to do; Which involves not going out, due to the lockdown.

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

Ratch,

You have shown something here of quality. Thank you.

I would say though that it is a tempting presentation. I saw the image with the engine cover open and thought - what is in here? Based on the quality of the overall kit, it would be good to see the engine because I am sure you have made a good job of this. Do you have such a picture?

Here you go DD.

/media/tinymce_upload/4dd563f7c3197f6c5b39cd166b762b37.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/2e629d43cc92d802cc552be14d7f724f.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/d0041622b0ff5509d25869477632f095.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/a4cc35486ac438999c8685e81919a062.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/1e4bda9ec12031646f989379061494a0.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ec083b8e5012cc7e347afa4fd06d67fc.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Jeff & DD, trust me, you'll be able to cope with this. The rigging diagram is very helpful and there's not too much of it. Have a go, you'll surprise yourselves.

Apologies, late to this thread. Tgiver Moth looks great Ratchet. I’ve just received the same kit. I’ve never done rigging before, could you tell me what you used please?

Hi, I use Aeroclub Rigging Thread, but any elasticated sewing thread (from a haberdashers) will do. It is secured with a dab of cyanoacrylate (super glue) applied with a cocktail stick. Have fun with your build and thanks for the feedback.

E-Z Line is another option (look on e-bay).

Hi, I use Aeroclub Rigging Thread, but any elasticated sewing thread (from a haberdashers) will do. It is secured with a dab of cyanoacrylate (super glue) applied with a cocktail stick. Have fun with your build and thanks for the feedback.

E-Z Line is another option (look on e-bay).

Brilliant thanks Ratch, I’ll go have a look!

• 2 months later...

I have been making Airfix kits for 60 years. Having just been spoilt by the incredibly good 1/24 Stuka I bought the 1/48 Tiger Moth kit to build the aircraft my dad used to train pilots with after he was made an instructor following hospilisation and the loss of his bomber crew.  Now this may be an excellent kit as the basis for a super expert to make into whatever type they wanted but as a kit for a general builder, it is far below what I have come to expect from Airfix.   First disappointment is that it is only designed to be displayed on the ground, not hung in the air.  Despite that, we still have to cut out the doors to display them open! Three propeller choices but no aircrew and no alternative to flat bottomed wheels ! And what is the sense of them making an extra piece so that we can FILE away the fuselage to accommodate the anti stall inserts? It would have been cheaper to save that plastic on the fuselage moulding and provide a small siling piece if the original mark was chosen. And the most serious crime is that the fuselage halves do not meet. I had to take mine apart, file away the internal parts and clamp the halves together again then use filler to make good the join. And I never did manage to get the engine covers to fit properly.  Very disappointing. Here's how I hoped it would look (my recent flying lesson)

/media/tinymce_upload/403539b40e6d25b6a3f0ebf2d4bb6ba9.jpg

The 1/24 Stuka originates from 1977, a nice build but not in the same class as this kit. 

/media/tinymce_upload/a1b5987833c41237ee6293a82d99ca41.JPG

I'm sure if you really want you could source pilots, trainees, whatever in the uniform you'd need and even some unflattened wheels too.

• 9 months later...