Airfix Forum Gallery 2020 (Pandemic Special!)

peebeep

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never heard of those words before, PC! I'm guessing those are what those rockets are called?

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF

Gordon, In the late 1960's the world was space mad.  Airfix had released the Saturn V and a kit of the Russian launcher. Basically the Russians used the same launcher for many missions - both manned and unmanned.  Airfix issued a kit of the launcher with options for Sputnik - the first satellite, Vostok - the capsule used by Uri Gagarin, the first man in space (and others) and Soyuz - a 3-man capsule still in use today taking astronauts to service the space station.  The one Aifix called sputnik was actually closer in shape to Lunik.The picture I posted is of three kits built one with with each option.  ( you only get one rocket in each kit but the spacecraft on top are interchangeable.  I bought and built three of them so that I could build all the options).  - actually I still have another 2- unbuilt - one to build Voskhod - a 2-man capsule and the other to build as Sputnik itself.

Thanks for your kind words, Paul and Dominic.  There is, of course, no evidence for what colour a real one would have been painted if it had gone into production, and RAF service, so I assumed that the RAF would decide it was a fixed-wing aircraft and paint it in the then-current transport colours of dark earth and light stone, and not the helicopter colour scheme of dark green and dark grey.  Mostly because I really like the brown/sand colour scheme and I don't have room to build and display a Hercules in that scheme!

Talking of something that definitely is a rotary-wing aircraft, here's the old-tool Airfix Sikorsky SH-3D (with a few details from the revised Westland version of that tooling, a scratch-built and again, mostly invisible interior, and scratch-built folding rotor hub based on a spare Revell hub), built as an Agusta-Sikorsky ASH-3D of the Italian Navy (Marina Militaire):

/media/tinymce_upload/b33d22e3da6def5288ddc21a39c57f8f.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/09f962c3b9e2e4eb9fab9ba83c7c9ce5.jpg

(and decals from Tauro Models and the spares box!)

Tim

They're all 1/72 Airfix Lightnings - don't you recognise the diorama base?

Nice Lightnings Ratch. Looks like they are all from new mold kits.

I've only built two new tool Lightnings, so at least two of them are old tools (the F1A must be one)

Here's my first entry here. I don't want to post it in the main aircraft section, even though it contains at least 50% Airfix kit...

/media/tinymce_upload/cabb800c6ec7cc38980e04d3ddd4b7a1.jpg

Using an Airfix Dornier Do17E/F kit for the fuselage, and a Revell Do17Z for the wings and tailplane, I made a Do17P. I nicknamed it FrankenDornier, because it's a proper cross-kitted lashup! 

/media/tinymce_upload/0407d0a2536b4200bcfac41e2872e632.jpg

Extras added were a PE set for the cockpit and some exterior details, resin main wheels, and vacuum formed transparencies. The model represents one of the long range photo reconnaissance planes still based in Germany early in 1940, and flying out over France and Belgium before the invasion.

/media/tinymce_upload/39e4df7a8c9b884c51153145df694941.jpg

It's not totally accurate, but it pleases me. There are kits for the 17P and M available from RS Models, but I don't think I'll bother to get one. 

Thanks for looking. If I find time, I'll post a couple of other images soon.

Firstly another vintage OO Gauge railway kit from me..

K's (Keyser) 40' GWR Parcel's  Van.

/media/tinymce_upload/00a112e04c1ad39cd05cb87a00ba32a0.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0e7750fa1f6016126d164d786cf363b8.jpg

Then it's time for a few OO Gauge buildings from Timber Tracks..

/media/tinymce_upload/3fbdf13fed5f1ac0a0532477372ca0ee.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/c9c341654222cd81dcbc37ba26c4191c.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/4bbfcf5488e09c6247108aee2db875cf.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/0973f980a7bac7f8636b9fca76dd1c59.jpg

/media/tinymce_upload/265b4959a468718e81af46da68dbb35e.jpg

@james_mower

Have you got a OO gauge model railway, or have you got one in working progress, interest?

Your images are very nice and I recommend you head over to the Hornby Forum, to post these images as well. I believe a lot of members will enjoy viewing these.  😀

GNR-Gordon-4 (AF)

I know I've had a couple of glasses of wine with dinner, but I'm looking sideways at that!

I'd better make a contribution. I give you...Strandbeest! (yes, it was a plastic kit)

/media/tinymce_upload/145a7488cf260de5209f3fe5aff979ef.JPG