Tram tracks

Sodsquirt86

Hi everyone, I'm just building a new layout and plan to utilise my motorised trams, can anyone tell me if I can get a tighter curve than 1st Radius in 00 gauge as I want to turn it around the corners of the road, but don't really trust myself with flexitrack. I don't mind what brand it is.

Many thanks

Fred

There certainly are / were curves of a smaller radius than current Hornby (and most other current British market) track 1st radius.

The old Lima track system had their 1st radius of a smaller radius than current Hornby.

It is quite likely that other "continental" market track systems also vary in the radius offered from that offered by Hornby, etc.

But wether these would be of a small enough radius for the curves required is another question.

The tightest I know of are the Playcraft/Jouef first radius which were 12.75" radius And will connect to modern Hornby track. However, many of the old ones haven't retained their curvature properly and are no use for anything. There are points to the same radius as well, you just have to remember that they are non-isolating like modern points. They have some sliding fish plates to break a connection to the rails but then you need more feeds from the controller. The later ones had brass fishplates and are generally in better condition than the ones with steel fishplates. the very early track has brass rail, all the rest is plated steel. 

I am going to add tram tracks to my layout. I worked out flexitrack was the best solution, its cheap and you can bend it to any shape you want. In the towns it will be encased in a road so it won't move. There were some youtube videos around on how to do it. I was originally worried about the tight curves but trams have a very short wheelbase. Flexitrack is ok, just make sure you pin or screw it down. Buy yourself a decent pair of track cutters with the money you save on the track or use a Dremel and you will be ok.

You can slip lengths of normal or flexi rails out of the chairs and solder them to copper-clad sleepers set at any radius. You may need track roller gauges similar to these to help keep the rails parallel.

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=6585&name=track-roller-gauge-00-16-5mm-code-100-fb-rail

Not that many sleepers are required because as you say they are buried in the road.