general advice with old cars and new track

garyg

Hi guys

Please forgive me if I have posted this in the wrong place but this is my first post.

I have loads of old track "Classic" which sadly has past its sell by date, I have tried to clean it but only with marginal success. So I am thinking of buying a new set.. with this in mind I have a couple of questions for those of you more experienced in Scalextric.

1. If I buy a new set will my old cars (1963-1980's era) work with the new modern track.

2. What set would you suggest, I dont think I want digital just standard.

I got my first set in 1964 and the cars still work as does the transformer ,i added track over the years but its so badly oxidised and i have tried cleaning it.. not much luck

Cheers

Garyg

The older cars should work fine on a standard analog track. The slot depth is now deeper but most of the dimensions have remained the same.

If all you want to do is run your old cars simply get any analog standard set and give it a go.

Standard sets usually contain 45° radius 2 curves and the newer sets sometimes have 90° radus 2 turns.

You can usually find good used track online as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Best place to look for track is on Facebook Marketplace: I just did exactly what you've done: tried to resurrect old track and then gave up and bought a few partial sets off Facebook. I got my whole layout for about £30 by just combining random incomplete sets people were selling cheap.

If you ever plan to buy any car manufactured by scaly since 2000 and about any other make ,

buy a new ( since 2000) deeper, sport track.

Or get out your carving knife.

Personally have picked up a few used sport sets at great prices with the cars that had wanted on ebay

and got the optional 2 power pack, powerbases which had wanted too   (Made from 2000 to 2010) .

Used sport, battery lap counters are available there and highly recommend them over mechanical ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

250theres plenty of the sport track about i only paid £250 for a new 6 car digital and pit stop unwanted gift for anolog the most i have paid for full sets including cars was 40 notes but some for 15-20 dont know were you are but at the moment theres a trackonly in wolverhampton at 20 and 8 full sets from 20 to 40 notes be make sure the sets are new sport track as  theres a lot of old style sets on there