Centenary Rocket

gasway

Just took my Stephenson Rocket out of display case very carefully to put on track for a quick run and nothing happened. On closer inspection could see 2 of the connecting wires had broken! Anybody else had this problem?

Yes, mine suffer(s)(ed) from exactly the same problem, I got in contact with the supplier (their name rhymes with wagemaster) and they're gonna take it back and see whether I can get a replacement or refund.

The wires are far too small and fiddly for me to try my meagre soldering skills on; especially on a rather expensive bit of brand-new kit.

>> Was especially galling as I'd just spent 20 minutes hooking the carriages up and swearing. Darn fiddly little "chains".

Really hoping I end up with a new one or else I'll end up having to cancel my order for the 3rd class wagons...

Re the "fragility" of the connecting wires a suitable washer or cable sleeving pushed on the end of the peg to stop the loco uncoupling from the tender should stop the wires from getting pulled. The more I think about it its a mystery why is not supplied with such, afterall thats the bogie on the superdetailed Schools is held in place with a plastic grip around the peg.

I now have a mail coach for my rocket set

Now I need a second class coach

The coach has been made from a Bachmann coach from the Prussia set

The only information i had to base it on are the early drawings of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway 

/media/tinymce_upload/5e3a0d45243c69f55eb7f3c3dee2108e.JPG

My failty one is going back for a refund. They were unable to source me a replacement and I gather the lead time on repairs at Hornby is months and months. Pity it was a thing of beauty.

With fingers x'd they'll re-re-release it and I'll pick up on then.

Now to cancel the order for the extra coaches :(

I agree about the old Dapol kit.

Also I applaud Hornby for it's efforts, it's a lovely model, let down by poor quality control, the couplings and lack of adhesive weight.  My disappointment was a missing buffer on a coach and one broken on another, water barrel fell off, the chain couplings are tricky to couple, and it slipped on the slightest bit of track that wasn't perfect, the chimney requires you to do some re-engineering on tunnels etc., but is correct for the loco.  The NRM replica ran at some preserved lines with a shorter chimney, perhaps a shortner chimney could be included in the pack.

However it's a super model despite it's failings, right down to rivet placings, and is sure to delight many.

8.5 out of 10 for design effort

10/10 for the rivet counter

10/10 desirability and collectability

7/10 for running qualities

6/10 for Quality control

Total score 41.5/50

85%/100%

Rocket is a difficult model to make accurately in 4mm scale, and also to make it work. It is incredibly small and light, very little space to put a motor inside, and to include all the wiring and weight. 

I wonder if the answer might have been to put a motor in the tender driving both the locomotive and tender wheels, and even put individual motors under each carriage. 

I think mine will stop inside its packaging except for very special occasions. 

My Rocket ran at first but one of the connecting wires soon broke off when I took it off the track to add the figures. It seems the wires are single core and I thought in a situation like this they should be multi core. Awaiting to see if Hornby Service can repair it.

Ducky1

I have solved the problem of connecting Rocket coaches together  by fitting magnetic couplings.

The magnets I have used are 3mm x 1mm with a 1mm hole in the middle

A piece of chain is first fitted into the eye of a 1mm split pin ,the split pin is then superglued into the centre of the magnet 

I was going to fit the magnet onto the receiving coach with a 1 mm stem but then decided to recess it into the coach.

The two magnets will self connect most of of the time but if not only need to be lifted to within 10 mm of each other  to self connect.

I am now experimenting with magnets on 3 link couplings on normal 00 wagons and it seams that 3mm x 4m3mm x 4mm magnets on the receiving wagon  is powerful enough for any train

/media/tinymce_upload/5fda44a9af117be33b18f1fe747dd73d.JPG

n

/media/tinymce_upload/fb3020ee68b4d011c576d33da04f39f5.JPG

/media/tinymce_upload/ed90059e69ea3e213724a1d9738d158e.JPG