Sound and DCC

Spudiman

I'm starting my train set again after 56 years, so I'm learning again. I've been given 2 "DCC Ready"

engines. I have DCC track and controller. My question is "I understand that I have to fit a decoder. But do I have to buy an additional decoder for sound OR can you buy them together (combined)?

Thanks for any help.

Graham

You didn't mention what loco's you have - it's just possible that Hornby may do a TTS Sound pack for your loco's. This is a sound decoder and speaker already wired up and just need installing.

Sorry Graham - Welcome to the forum. Lots of help and information on here. You may find your limited on your access for a little while - someone will explain the set-up. 

As Chrissaf is not online at the moment, you may want to read this:

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

Thank you all

Bulliedboy, the loco's i have are Hornby R3941 BR CLASS 9F 92212 & Bachmann 31-614 V3 Tank Engine 2-6-2 67646

But do I need to buy the 2 decoders? or will the engine run with just the sound decoder in it? 

Hope that helps

Cheers Spudiman

But do I need to buy the 2 decoders? or will the engine run with just the sound decoder in it?

The other responders have already clearly stated that you only need one decoder. Sound decoders do both functions, the sound playing function as well as the motor control function in one single decoder PCB. Apart from which, a 'DCC Ready' locomotive will only have one single decoder socket in it, so you can't plug two decoders into a single socket anyway.

Just to add, if your were to buy a non sound 'DCC Fitted' loco that you wanted to upgrade to sound. You would remove the previously fitted non sound decoder and replace it with the sound version one.

What you haven't told is what DCC Controller are you using. Sound decoders need a controller that supports a wide range of functions. Potentially from Function Zero [F0] to Function 28 [F28]. Without support for this extensive range of functions, your controller won't be able to play all the sounds.

Not all controllers on the market support the full function range F0 to F28, some really old ones only support F0 to F4 or F0 to F8.

So if you tell us what controller brand, model and firmware your controller is ... we can advise if it is suitable.

If your controller should be a Hornby Select controller, the current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

Hornby do produce a TTS sound kit for the Crosti 9F - R8113 Hornby OO Gauge TTS Sound Decoder: Crosti Class 9F  it's about £40.00.

I know nothing about your 9F other than it was a Ltd.Edition and looking at a picture, it has leads from the loco plugging into the tender, so I assume the decoder is fitted in the tender. You need to look at the paperwork that came with the loco - this will show the decoder installation and also whether the tender is set up to take the speaker - which is round. So I would do a little research before buying. Someone on the forum may come on and say they have done it, but do check. 

Your other loco is DCC Ready (the same loco is available on ebay), and it shows DCC Next 18 on the box - so I am assuming this has an 18-pin decoder. I am not familiar with this at all - so would like someone to confirm please. BB

Next 18 is a fairly new decoder format, not yet adopted by Hornby.

You may be able to find a Next 18 to 8-pin adaptor allowing TTS to be installed in the B’mann loco or you may have to bite the bullet and buy a more expensive sound decoder in Next 18 format - if anyone does them yet.

Note that Next 18 comes in 2 formats Next 18 which is a regular decoder and Next 18S which is a sound decoder. A sound decoder will not work in a standard socket.

Hi, I just jumped in with reference to the Hornby Select. An additional question: I am looking to use DCC on an o gauge shunting layout (two engines). ideally with sound. My select‘s Software is up to date with a 1 amp power supply. 21 pin decoders needed, will the Select cope. 

Regards Mike 

The Select will cope but will likely require a 4-amp supply to run a pair of O gauge locos. The 1-amp PSU will probably self protect by browning out meaning the Select will continually reboot due to low voltage.

Latest firmware will operate F0-F28 inclusive.

@Spudiman

The R8213 is a Select controller. The Select is a 'return to Hornby base' controller when it comes to firmware updates. To get the best out of the Select with Sound decoders [bearing in mind, sound is what your original post focused on] then you ideally need the Select to have firmware version 1.5 as a minimum to get full support for the F0 - F28 range of sound functions.

Text below repeated from my previous reply:

The current installed firmware is displayed as the very first number to briefly appear on the Select screen as it is being powered up. Expect to see a number between 10 and 20. At the time of writing, the latest version is 1.6 [16] or 2.0 [20] - both the same. These latest versions completely transform the user experience of the Select controller and add the ability to write (not read) all CVs up to CV255. As well as access to the full F0 - F28 range of functions.

The upgrade charge is typically £15 plus your sending postage costs. You need to get a 'returns number' from Hornby Customer Services - see 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of the page.

If you do arrange to get your Select firmware upgraded, then you will need both the Select version 1.5 full manual and the version 1.6 addendum manual. As the operation of your Select (how to use it) will be completely different in certain areas of operation compared to your current firmware version.

You can download these two manual PDFs from here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/12/

If nothing appears to happen, check your nominated browser download folder for the files as they can download silently in the background.

To Chrissaf,

At the age of 67 and not had a train set for 56 years you've totally lost me in your confusing paragraphs! with firmware, versions, upgrade etc.Your assuming I understand about everything thats been produced in DCC. I understood on advice that DCC was easy? As the last controller I had was 56 years ago, it went forward and reverse and I have not run a train since.

It seems that simply having a new DCC controller and engine is not enough. You've confused me for asking what I thought was a straitforward question. I can understand why people argue about staying with analogue.

Totally lost the plot,

regards

Graham

Lets start again then.

To put sound in your DCC Ready locos you need a sound decoder and speaker. The decoder pins needs to match in number the socket in the loco, it usually tells you on the box.

Your Select controller is upgradable and its firmware (the programming that makes it work) has been improved over the years to be able to operate more and more functions. Hence why we asked you what the revision state was - easily seen at power up. Early Selects could only operate F0 to F4, later Selects could operate F0 to F9. The latest can operate all 29 functions i.e. F0 to F28. You can send your Select to Hornby to get the update done if required.

Spudiman. Hi, we have all been where you are now.. I started DCC, at age 62. It is a massive learning curve, and is better going slowly, step by step. You have a Select controller, and  to run DCC locos, they need to be DCC, fitted.  Simply put, each loco needs a decoder.  Forget sound, or buy a loco, with sound installed, to start with. That way, it will run, from get go, as will any loco, with a chip installed.  DCC , Ready, locos, mean that , they have the provision, if you have the  ability, to take it apart, removing blanking plate, and insert your new chip..  After 15 years, i have still, Never, attempted that, preferring to buy, ready to run locos.   Once you have one/ two locos, usable, enjoy running them, for the time being.  The trouble with this forum, is the Techy guys, talk in a different language, than us old, diehard, DC guys, so newcomers, over a certain age, easily, become, confused. .  If you start, as i suggested, either you will love it, as some do, or return, as some have to DC.  The difference between DC, and DCC, is that with DCC, you drive the loco, so if you want 3 locos on same track, for example, they will move, independantly, not all together, as you were used to.   I run, both, DC, and DCC, on two layouts, as have never accepted that DCC, is better. , and could not afford to convert my 100 locos, even if able to.. Hope this old codgers, view/ advice is understandable.

Another old codger butting in...

I am 76 and started DCC in 2006 so no spring chicken when that happened.

I test all this DCC kit as a sideline and its no more difficult than sorting out your Smart TV.

Stick with it, get the basics under your belt and enjoy the benefits of DCC .

Since we are revealing ages, i am a mere 77, and only run my layouts from november to march, due to French climate. Train room, too warm,  from April, till about now.. So, it will be a total mystery, in 2 weeks time, when i resume. Much simpler with DC, as that sticks in your aging memory.. Joking apart, agree, totally, with Rob. Play with the  basics first.  I had  no end of help from guys like Fishy, Graskie, etc, when i  took the plunge, and asked many stupid questions. Still, ask a few now.  What newbies need is an idiots guide to DCC, if you are making the change over from DC.   If you are starting from scratch, with no prior, layout,  it is much easier, as your brain does not  have a chance to be confused, between the  two systems, knowing nothing of the other one..   Perhaps  the Cyprus air, rob used, made for a clearer head.  Much heavier air, in france.