Hornby Duchess of Atholl

Rod8711

Luckily I managed to get my hands on the centenary Duchess of Atholl from a model shop(last one)! What an amazing model, beautiful finish and excellent detail.

I really hope Hornby capitalise on its success by either releasing further limited models in metal with a high specification either through a premium range to their catalogue or through the collectors club since the demand is there. The Dapol Black Label models were a hit (still searching for the elusive Golden Eagle to complete my collection). Although these models are impressive, I think Hornby has the edge with the finish on the Duchess.

They could do a number of things:

1. Release through a premium brand to the catalogue.

2. Release through the Collectors Club to attract more members and this would also help them promote other products.

3. Take deposits to gauge if there was enough interest before committing to manufacture but based on the hit of the Duchess I certainly don't think this would be a problem.

when I spoke to Dapol last year, their factory informed me that they were considering more models for the'Black Label' range. 

In times like these, you look forward to have something a bit extraordinary!

Best wishes to everyone.

Rod

The Dapol Black Label did have a few 'additional features', like smoke, lights, DCC sound, for which most aren't a direct option on the Hornby model.

Not having either, I cannot make any personal direct comparisons, but I do agree that Atholl looks great, and well done you for hunting one down.

Welcome to the forum.

Al.

Because they provided it for us. They occasionally look at the wishlist section. Adam the previous administrator told us that Hornby would not get involved with it, that is why it is moderated by the members. 

They would be inundated with questions if they took an active part.

Why is it assumed by some that Hornby don't care?

You can contact them direct using the link at the top of the forum.

Why is it assumed that Hornby don't monitor this forum?

Knowing their customer's views and feedback would be rather useful.

Or do they care?

The forums are provided by Hornby for members to discuss model railway stuff. It is not a matter of if Hornby care or not. The forums are bot data gatherers for Hornby, they are a source of information and assistance to modellers.

Hornby has neither the time nor the resource to watch a forum 24/7 in case someone needs ‘their urgent attention’.

Where a matter is considered to be so important and/or urgent then there are ways of bringing these into Hornby’s view.

The only Hornby ‘employee’ that is known to use the forum is Tim who contributes to his area of interest in the International section. He is not an overwatch avenue into the ‘factory’.

Just to add, to what Rob has written. On some occasions and in some circumstances, if a ComMod feels that a particular post needs Hornby to see it, then the ComMod may actively bring that post to Hornby's attention. But Hornby do not generally monitor the content on a regular consistent basis outside of the exceptions that Rob has mentioned.

I don't do Social Media myself, but I am led to believe that Social Media is where Hornby focus their customer feedback monitoring resources. So if you want to bring a specific issue to Hornby's attention, then you are more likely to have it seen by Hornby on Social Media than in this forum.

To be quite honest, the thread was nearly complete anyway. Hornby has completely sold out of them, I think they had 6 months ago, so even if someone wanted to buy one they can't. All the Hornby Coronations are nice locos even without the metal body and I must admit, mine run really well.

I find just-previous Hornby Coronations and Princesses to be superbly smooth runners.

I've a latest-spec 'Hamilton' which has power, speed and traction, but at very slow speeds occasionally it's not-quite uniform ... perhaps it just needs more running ...

Al.

If I were fortunate enough to own one of these .... I would rename it!!

Seriously, it's precisely in the format I remember 6233 at Bressingham steam gardens 45 years ago - looked an absolute beast and super impressive the way it blew the boughs of the trees apart opening up ... over the km or whatever it was that little run into the woods ...

This is how I'd love to see the preserved DoS nowadays - probably impractical with the double chimney probably requiring the deflectors - but looks much better that way.

Al.