Which Decoder

Brew Man

Does anyone know which decoder the H Class 0-4-4T loco uses? It is the same loco as was recently offered as a Club Member exclusive but is now out-of-stock, so I've put the early BR version on my Xmas wishlist. It would be nice if I can plop the decoder straight in when/if I receive it. If I don't get it then I'll buy iy myself.

I remember forum discussion that fitting a decoder to this model can be tight and some folk have resorted to sending them to Hornby to have the decoder fitted.

A forum search on H class may find such discussion.

I remember forum discussion that fitting a decoder to this model can be tight and some folk have resorted to sending them to Hornby to have the decoder fitted.

A forum search on H class may find such discussion.

I just read that, (if it's the one you're thinking of) and 5Dublo2 managed to get the Hornby Decoder in by easing it into one of the side tank cavities. So should be OK - fingers crossed. I've just fitted a 4 wire decoder to 2 0-4-0s and that's a bloody tight fit.

There is no problem fitting an 8 pin decoder in the H class as long as it is not too wide. I fitted a Zimo because it has a plastic sleeve to protect the decoder from touching other metal.........HB

PS I had to remove the supression capacitor first but it's not needed anyway to make room

/media/tinymce_upload/725e9180279eebd976adb64a4fddeceb.png

I can see no reason why a Hornby R8249 decoder or the Hattons 8 pin would not fit as long as the top of the 8 pin plug is covered in insulation tape and the capacitor is removed. Both of these decoders are smaller than the Zimo 600 I used as in above post..........HB