DC to DCC on Hornby 0-6-0 Great Western Pannier tank

ianb26

Hi there,

I have an old Hornby GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank loco which I purchased on eBay a few years go and I want to add a decoder to it. The engine number is 2744. I'm not sure if it is an x.03 or x.04. There was apost made some years ago by Margate-Richmond - 13/10/2011 to be precise where he mentions that there is instructions he had made.

Could some one direct me to that post, or help with instructions please.

Thank you,

Ian Bell (Australia)

I think that IanB means these 'How To' posts by Margate Richmond (AKA Son of Triangman).

DCC fitting the X03 / 04 Motor.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/making-the-x03-and-x04-dcc-fitted-the-proper-way!/?p=1

Step by Step Tutorial with images of the X03 X04 DCC conversion by M.R.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/24262/?p=3

TIP: As a newbie poster on the forum, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

See also – further TIPs on how to get the best user experience from this forum. TIPs include 'How to post images' and 'How to make links clickable'.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/tips-on-using-the-forum/

If it is the one with the "can" motor, if so I did the conversion on mine about two weeks ago. If this the one where the whole of the boiler lifts off, then there is room to fit an 8 pin socket. It is a relatively easy one to convert. I did find however that a standard decoder wasn't "man enough" to drive the motor, so I used a decoder with a 0.8 amp current limit.

If you find space tight, i can remember RAF posting a pic of one he had done think it was 0-6-0, and i can tell you it was well done. Cann't find the thread, maybe Raf will remember and post it again. He must have small hands ;), I'll not post my try too replicate his work, he'd be still laughing this next week. It'll be food for thought though.

It is in fact an X03. Service sheet 113 is the one you are looking for.

Chris also has the correct posts from M-R on how to do it.  His point - don't solder directly to the brush, solder to a brush clip the same as on the insulated side of the brush holder spring when you insulate the other side of the spring.  A really simple conversion but you should do a DC stall test and you will likely need a decoder that can handle 1 Amp continuous, not just an R8249.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies.This has helped a lot. As I use a Digitrax system  😳 I will source out their smallest decoder - with the right amperage - and get it installed. Probably be after Christmas or early in the New Year before I get to do it. 

Have to wait and see if my hints to the family for Christmas presents "bare fruit"

Ian.