CD conversion- 80's HST model

Guest Chrissaf

Moderator message: Obviously my name is not Paul. My "Chrissaf" user name being logged against this 'Starter Post' is a BUG.

Hi everyone, I am planning to convert one of my HST 125 models with a CD motor, my question is: Is it necessary to use voltage droppers when wiring the motor? Anyone done this conversion, it's seems very straight forward..regards Paul

That would depend upon the motor used, as many are as low rated as 3 volt, some are 6 volt and few are 12 volt.

It would also depend upon if you want to run them under DC or DCC power, if the latter can your decoder limit V-max and associated V-mid values.

In any event finding a suitable resistor will be a challenge as to burn off the excess voltage produces heat.

This is how I did mine - http://www.halton96th.org.uk/article11.html

This guy does kits - https://www.strathpefferjunction.com/hornby-ringfield-motor-upgrade-kits-are-now-available/

The biggest issues I found with the Ringfield in the HST, was it only picks up power on one side of the front bogie and the other side of the rear bogie. Getting the non driven bogie to pick up power on both sides improved things substantially, adding pickups to the driven wheels gear side doesn't help much because of the traction tyres. In my case I managed to source a 5 pole bogie, and a dummy bogie off of a later HST which seemed a much better solution. Even with a CD motor you still have the issues of traction tyres, pickups and those horrible geared wheels.

Thanks guys for the info, the video I've seen on Strathpeffer makes the conversion look a lot simpler than it actually is reading various explanations of how to go about it but I'm going to give it a go. I've ordered a 6v CD motor so will use diodes to protect the life of the motor.. regards paul

• 1 month later...

I am looking at doing the same on 2 old Lima models. HST and Deltic. I have managed to get 2 CD motors from old dvd drives. But I suspect them to be 3v. Any ideas on how to drop the voltage to 3v. Or is it not possible. Will be going to DCC. In the future.

Thanks

I recently converted a 1980's Hst executive model using a 6 volt Strathpeffer Junction conversion kit.I am the least technical modeller you could ever find and have no idea about voltage droppers. I got the kit installed with no problems at all.My model runs really well with no problems using the conversion kit.The Strathpeffer Junction installation instructions that come with the kit are clear and easy to follow.Hope this helps.

I am looking at doing the same on 2 old Lima models. HST and Deltic. I have managed to get 2 CD motors from old dvd drives. But I suspect them to be 3v. Any ideas on how to drop the voltage to 3v. Or is it not possible. Will be going to DCC. In the future.

Diodes are a good way of dropping voltage, rather than resistors.

As stated Strathpeffer does various dropper packs.