Not waiting for Hornby anymore

Moderator message: The post reproduced below was originally posted by member 'Tweeddale' as a hijack of another thread. It has been reproduced below as a new original thread.

I have turned to Train-Tech for their signals and track sensors and micro switches. Where loco detection and block control with signal control is available to achieve. Not waiting for Hornby loco detection any more..

I'm afraid I agree also. I made the decision to switch entirely away from RailMaster/Elink to Digikeijs Dr5000 & use their loco detection via iTrain. In my opinion loco detection in RailMaster will never materialise.

RailMaster updates too also seem to be stalling (the last few being only minor) and hardly any new DCC products or eLink train sets with RailMaster have been introduced in the last few years. It feels as they are more concentrating their efforts on HM6000 DC control where they can see more potential.

• 1 month later...

I like RailMaster despite its age and quirks. Perhaps Hornby could do the decent thing and open source it so we can develop it. I guess I'll get my head round jmri now I can get an openjdk and not rely on Oracle. There is lots of good software that support the Elite so I can gradually transition away from Hornby in the same way they are moving away from innovating in DCC

As a child I like many grew up with Hornby so on returning to the hobby in later years I bought a Hornby Elite and Railmaster along with Hornby track, points, accessory decoders and locos. Having spent a few thousand pounds I can honestly say I will never buy another Hornby product.

Not only has loco detection never materialised but the quality of their products can only be described as shoddy and outdated.

Big Noj, we are of course . all entitled to our views. I have run Hornby for 58 years, have Railmaster, Elite, Selects, 3, and some 100 locos. I have never found any problems with Hornby locos, and am very happy with their DCC system, and locos. One has to remember that in order to keep the range, affordable, for parents to buy for their children, some deterioration, of quality, has to be expected. If you found the quality poor, why did you invest so much money in it.. As for Outdated, sure, Railmaster, is not State of the Art, and could be brought up to date, by pricing it out of reach of the market, it was aimed at. You are lucky, you have the funds to go elsewhere, where you will find you need to spend considerably more to buy both locos, and rolling stock.. If you wish to look at like for like, both MTH, and Marklin, are at least double the price.

You are of course welcome to post on the forum within the rules, but as I said on another thread venting your spleen at the forum members just gets their backs up and does not progress your case.

You would be better aiming your displeasure at Hornby themselves by direct email. There are various such addresses posted on the site that you can write to.

• 1 month later...

@BigNoj

+1 I have just jumped ship with a similar setup and it just works. I really like the fact that this sort of setup tells you which train is where. Still Hornby do make some nice rolling stock for enthusiasts and collectors.