Loconet support Hornby?

Forum-1211528

Hornby decoders do not support the 'Loconet' protocols [as far as I am aware]. Mainly because neither do Hornby controllers, so there is no incentive for Hornby to make their decoders 'Loconet' compliant. The Hornby Elite does support 'XpressNet' [Hornby custom version implementation] but this is not the same protocol as 'Loconet'.

• 3 weeks later...

No - it doesn't. By default you cannot read back CV values on the main, which is what Railcom does in effect. You will find any controller that programs on the main as its prime/only programming method will not be able to read CVs, only write to them - e.g. Hornby Select and eLink, as well as other makes.

@brewMan. I am about to set my collection of locos up in iTrain running a Roco Z21. First they are going to be consistently photographed so I get nice images of them. Then they are going back on my programming track so I can read them. I am pretty sure that'll just work for any DCC decoder.

However my worry on this or any forum is based on working in the criminal justice system - I am not interested in what lawyers call "hearsay" I am really only interested in evidence based on what our friends on these forums have actually done. So when I have all this actually working I'll be updating my notes from the loft on RMWeb

The TTS decoder is loosely based upon the Hornby R8249 decoder architecture which doesn't have Railcom support. There was a period where TTS decoders were being incorrectly detected in RM, but usually they were detected IIRC as R8249s.

Reading the definition Railcom it implies that it gives the controller the ability to read data from the decoder outside of the programming mode (correct me if I am wrong). So effectively while the locos are running round your layout the controller could read data from any one of them, rather than just the one as in programming mode. Now I don't know how good it is at doing this but it could interpret all the locos on your layout if it knew which ones you were using ( doing the whole extended address range might take too long). So I assume Railmaster keeps a list of your active locos. This could be extremely useful if you wanted to do loco detection properly. It appears that Lenz want a license fee which probably explains why Hornby haven't implemented it, Zimo have implemented it as they were party to the original discussions. I assume when DCC was originally designed there was a facility for the transmission of data to and from the decoder, all I suspect Railcom does is put a set of known commands to that facility.

@deepfat

Hornby made a pig’s ear of their decoder ID codes in the early days. Sapphire has always been ID 10 but other decoders have had common IDs such as some TTS and R8249s, hence RM saw an R8249 when in fact it was a TTS fitted loco - widely documented on the forum.

What it needs is a basic decoder family code ID (e.g. TTS) then sub Codes for branches of those families (e.g. TTS diesel classes and steam classes). RM then needs to be able to read down this stepped list to positively ID an individual decoder and load the associated CV list.

TTS later went onto three digit codes, which defined the loco up to and including motor variants - e.g. FS 3-pole and 5-pole motors. It won’t take long to run out of codes.