BAC/BAe Jaguar - Wheel-well colour: zinc chromate?

inkpen

Remember the original Airfix 1/72 Jaguar? Pointy nose and 'prototype' weapons carry?

... back to the question - were wheel bays coloured zinc chromate green? If true, was this true for all RAF Jaguars? If not, what colour(s) were they finished in?

General RAF service colours for visible areas of undercarriage (legs, leg doors and wheels; the bays are almost invisible with the wheel doors closed) light aircraft grey, except for outsides of doors which will be as per overall finish (and there are at least 4 schemes including high visibility black).

I made this a few years ago but I remember researching this particular aircraft so I think the zinc chromate is accurate.

forum_image_610c25ddd6374.thumb.png.d1676d193b293c8b0dd96eadd87beee9.png

forum_image_610c25e76fd8b.thumb.png.7202ed7f12daa0063bfa4f5f2eca612c.png

I don't think all Jaguars were the same. Its possible the undercarriage areas started in another colour, possibly grey, but were re-painted while in service, but that's just a guess.

I remember the original Jaguar well, I think the kit was based on a prototype, which a few Airfix kits were back in the day. I have been building one of these for a while but its been left on the back burner. I also have a battered old built kit from 1970 that's awaiting refurbishment.

I checked my own reference photos. Some taken many years ago and some taken recently.

No matter what outside colour, the interior of the wheel bays and insides of the doors is painted in chromate yellowish green. The only difference I can see is that the early Jags use a very bright shade whilst more recent Jags use a very much darker shade.

U/c legs are in Light Aircraft Grey on them all as well.

For the bright chromate yellow-green I like to use Humbrol 38 Lime

This briefly engaged me; the native colour of zinc chromate is yellow. You might find a commercial zinc chromate green paint that is about Hu38 but matt; however most chromate anti-corrosive paint is yellow or green, and similar in tones to many model paints sold as chromate green or chromate yellow.