Platform to Platform width

Hi, I am busy planning an 00 scale layout utilising Hornby settrack and would like to get clarity on the gap required between two opposite Skaledale platforms with a double track in between. I am somewhat confused by various information provided. In the Hornby catalogue track section the centre to centre measurement of the rails is indicated at 68mm whilst the British Railways Modelling standards Bureau who have a very useful cross-section between platforms { Fig. 01} indicate 50mm centre to centre of track { dimension P }. Whilst I realise that the width of wagons and overhangs of locomotives vary this is a huge disparity in information and I would appreciate some guidance on the subject. My platforms will be on a straight section of parallel track.

Thanks

Hornby track is designed to build much smaller physical layouts [use smaller baseboards] than the type of layouts your research documentation are alluding to. To achieve this, the curves have to be tighter which means greater over-hangs from passing rolling stock [particularly passenger coaches]. In order to achieve this, Hornby track is designed on track to track centres of 67mm.

Larger scale model railway layouts that have the luxury of near limitless space have much larger radius curves, thus the rolling stock overhangs are less and the track centres can be reduced. PECO Streamline [sL] track for example have radius curves that typically start at 24" and increase above that figure [Hornby's largest radius Radius 4 is 572mm = 22.5"]. Thus PECO SL track is designed around a 50mm track centre to track centre distance which is where your 50mm reference is probably originating from.

So if your track is Hornby and it is laid on say for example a typical 8ft x 4ft baseboard, then your twin Hornby tracks between station platforms will be designed for 67mm track centre spacing. This equates to a distance between platform edges of not less than115mm or thereabouts [providing the track within the station platform length is straight and clear of any curves at the platform ends].

Hornby's track geometry results in tracks being a lot further apart than in real life or when using other trackage systems such as Peco Streamline. It may be possible to reduce the spacing to around 65mm if you use Express (R8077/R8078) points rather than Standard units. If you stick with standard Hornby points and don't use flexitrack, substitute 67mm (Hornby's official measurement) for the 50mm given in the BRM information.

@Christopher

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

On my layout I used a Hornby double level crossing which has 67mm track centres, along with a Metcalfe mainline station. The points in the distance of the photo , are Peco electro frog (I am DCC). If you search on line for Elgin model railway club, they have a diagram of station dimensions. I found this a great help.

forum_image_612ab2e040c83.thumb.png.55c2477aafd537a732049382991b6a33.png

I use Peco Streamline track so the spacing between tracks is a lot closer than with Hornby. I don't use Hornby level crossings, but one thing I do have issues with is Hornby Skaledale footbridges. I have the full Goathland station, so I use the corresponding footbridge. It means it doesn't sit in the centre of the platforms but at the edges. It is designed for a much bigger gap between tracks, than I use.

I too use streamline so any info that I could give is probly not too helpful as I laid the double track first and built my own platforms insitu making sure things didn't hit them.

However one w2ord of advice is to avoid cross-overs from one rail to the next within the limits of the platforms as the front overhangs of locos will hit the platform when crossing over

However one word of advice is to avoid cross-overs from one rail to the next within the limits of the platforms as the front overhangs of locos will hit the platform when crossing over

Must check that with my streamlined Coronation, which has the longest nose overhang I have. It will only apply when I have trains waiting in the station as my cross-over is on the through lines.

forum_image_612ce8d6909a0.png.46665921459696dbd8662bea8a76dab9.png

• 1 month later...

Clearance about the track and inter-track spacing are laid down for UK prototype permanent way and such diagrams have been posted on the forum previous and can be found by Googling, however in a model world we are led by the track geometry standards of the various manufacturers, e.g. as stated Hornby and Peco can have different track to track spacing. Add to this excessive model overhang (end throw outside the curve and centre throw inside the curve) on unrealistically tight curves and platforms have to be moved further away from the rails than regulated for to provide clearance. Whilst it would be nice to adhere to standard we are compromised by scale geometry.

I use the station over roof, when I first put it together it looked like the gaps between the platforms was far too wide with big gaps between the platform and the train but in reality it is the only way to maximise the straight section and have a decent length platform. In order to have the platform closer to the train you would have to remove a platform section from each end to give the train room to straighten up before the platform starts which would make the platform too short. My station is on the far side of my layout and the gaps are not really noticeable from the operators position.