EO Error - Pointing the blame!

Stephen in Kerry

Having messed up the track in my first layout (see general discussion), I thought I would at least try and run a loco on it (or part of it) while waiting for the new track.

I was very disappointed to see an EO error from the Hornby Select controller, and managed to trace it to the set of points (R8072) from Extension pack A.

This was received from Amazon on 24th August, and the returns window closed yesterday, preventing me from sending it back.

I have read here that short circuits due to faulty Hornby points are becoming a regular occurrence. I sincerely hope that points in the other extension packs I bought (I purchased packs A, B, C, D, E and F) from Amazon will not also be faulty.

Replacing the faulty R8072 will cost me an additional €14 - and it could become a very expensive start to my modelling hobby if I have to replace others.

I have emailed Hornby customer service to let them know that my trust, in what I have long regarded as the premiere model railway manufacturer, is already beginning to waiver.

Thanks Rob. Because I'm waiting for the baseboard, it could be a couple of weeks before I can test the rest of the track.

That said, the tender of my Bachmann Ivatt is derailing at the working double set of points connecting inner and outer loops. But my Hornby Ruston 48DS shunter and flatbed wagon is crossing them with no issues.

Two thoughts regarding the Bachmann Ivatt tender derailing on reverse curve Hornby pointwork: is the loco-to-tender drawbar at its longest setting: if so, you may have to weight it a little as Bachmann, I seem to remember, use a slightly different wheel back-to-back standard (14.2mm?) to Hornby's 14.5mm (the distance between the rear faces of the wheels) which can cause problems passing through Hornby points. It may be worth checking the spacing and, if possible, widening to Hornby's standard. Some users of other manufacturers' products have resorted to filing away small amounts of plastic at the point frog/check rails to ease the passage of 'foreign' wheels.

@Stephen.........it is prudent to affix the points to the baseboard either by screw or nail to ensure a level surface for the traversing rolling stock. It has been found that a set of points can have a concave curvature in the Frog area which results in the derailment of many lightweight vehicles.......HB

Hornby emailed me this (Monday) morning at 8.55am. Considering that I contacted them late on Saturday evening, I reckon that's pretty good service.

They asked for my address and trace code for the box and details of the issue (although I had already told them).

They have offered to replace they part if they have one in stock.

I did express my concern that, this seems to be an on-going issue and that I have about another 15 sets of points yet to be tested, which is a bit of a worry.