Hornby Elite - Normal behaviour?

Brew Man

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not yet disappointed_relieved. The reason I've not posted more recently is, I've been laying some new track and connecting it all up via a DCC bus just in case the problem was being caused by a dodgy power connection. Sadly the other day, having completed one of the two main loops I ran a loco and some coaches and the display went after about 30 minutes. It was only running at half speed too. So it is not directly connected with current overload. The next step is to replace the display and driver board. hopefully that will fix it it, if not it's head scratching time again.

Good luck Brew Man; I hope it all gets sorted out. Some of these things can get very frustrating.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I traced my Elite's similarforum_image_61904525ede13.thumb.png.63bdb4f7e477e45eb0383e1e5fa422e0.png display problem to a fluorescent light switching on that was plugged into a twin outlet that also had my Elite connected. I suspected transients to be the problem when the starter was striking. I connected a scope to the low voltage output of my power supply and captured an example of the transients which I believe were upsetting my Elite. Hopefully the image I attach will be displayed - if not I will need some help.

I shall let the experts comment further on your findings S-Cmdr, but that is a nasty spike. Interesting to see there is still a 50Hz ripple at 1.12v, showing the 4-amp power brick is not that well damped to start with. It would be interesting to see what effect having the power supply output under load would make.

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update:

Yesterday I swapped the display module and its driver board, both kindly donated by Rob. I ran two trains, one on each of the two loops for about an hour with no issues. That of course doesn't mean the fault has cleared as previously it has appeared seemingly randomly. I will continue to test over the coming days/weeks and report back. I'm keeping everything crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - Well I've been running trains and light engines for varying lengths of time for almost two weeks and the problem has not repeated. This gives me some confidence though I am reluctant to say it is definitely fixed - might be superstitious of me I know.

It's looking good so far though. I will post again if the problem recurs.

That spike should be taken out by the input capacitor. It could be a dodgy electrolytic. several years ago there was a bad batch of capacitors that was coming out of China. The reason a lot of PC were failing. Of course it could be a dry joint, "lead free" is renowned for it. Glad you have fixed it though.

• 4 months later...

An update! After replacing the display and back boardin my Elite last November I have been running trains trouble free since - until a few weeks ago when glanced at the Elite and saw it had done it again persevere. It seemed to coincide with me applying a heat gun to some heat shrink tubing but I wasn't 100% sure. Anyway I thought, 'keep an eye on that'. Shortly after that I installed four Gaugemaster Solenoid de-couplers at the start of my sidings, (what a pain they are to fit). Time to test - BANG! up came the fault. Every time I activated any of the de-couplers the display on the Elite disappeared, except for the clock, just as before. Aha! spikes on the line reflecting back to the the mains, (the mains being the only point in common with the track and accessory supplies). How to remedy? I first tried a snubber across the 19V line supplying the de-couplers to no avail. So then it was a case of lying on my back with a soldering iron to fit a suppression cap across each of the four solenoids. I used 0.1uF capacitors the same as the ones you find strapped across loco motors. After getting back up and thinking, 'this had better work' I tested each of the four de-couplers repeatedly - and success! the fault was cleared.

So it turns out seacommander's diagnosis all those months ago was correct. I think though that the initial cause is due to a failed component, probably a capacitor in my Elite as nobody except seacommander seems to have seen such a phenomenon before. However, knowing what causes it is half the problem solved.

I now have a high degree of confidence that I have tracked the problem down, though I hope I don't have cause to eat those words. I am still left pondering though as to what was causing the issue initially. At the time I was running two particular locos, one of which is still on the track, the other is in dry dock after having failed mid-circuit. Maybe it was that one. It was sold as a 'Noisy Runner'. Maybe that is a clue.

As a cautionary note, I would strongly advise anyone installing solenoid de-couplers or any other solenoid operated device to include a suppression capacitor from the outset. The Gaugemaster installation guide makes no mention of one, though being a inductor, it is bound to generate spikes when activated. It doesn't happen with my points but that will be due to my CDU swamping any such spikes.

Yes indeed Rob and thanks. I might leave well enough alone for now and see if it happens again. Now that I've identified the problem as a transient spike issue it shouldn't be too difficult to identify any repeat causes. Ha! why did I say that thinking_face