Code 100 to Code 83 track

Porkster

Atlas make Code 83 to Code 100 transition joiners. How suitable these are for Hornby and/or Peco track I couldn't say. But the low cost of the transition joiners puts the 'trial n error' concept into affordable to try territory.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/atlas-ho-551-code-83-to-code-100-transition-joiners-12/

I assume that you are refering to a Peco Code 83 diamond crossover track piece. Don't forget that Peco Code 83 track geometry is completely different to Hornby. Therefore you may have more layout design geometry issues to resolve than just connecting track together.

I am still unable to edit posts so was unable to acknowledge Chrissaf's more comprehensive reply.

Also, while unable to compare the two track systems in detail (code 75/100 for UK/European) and code 83 which I believe was introduced for modellers with American-themed layouts, I think there will be a difference between the appearance of the code 83 track unit adjacent to code 100 trackage - sleeper spacing and size.

@Going Spare

At the top right hand corner of your post, you should have 3 vertical black dots. Left Clicking on those (assuming you use a PC with a mouse) brings up a number of options, one of which is Edit.

If you use an Android device, you just touch the 3 dots to bring up the options, which may be the same if you have an ipad or other Apple device.

However, you do not need to Edit to acknowledge another post. Just raise a new post.

@RDS
For a PC with mouse it is 'Left Click' not right. Don't want to confuse GS further grinning

One of my Win10 PCs will not react to a left click on Edit. I have to double click but this doesn’t always ‘catch’. I will try right click instead. Edge browser.

iPad is simple press on the menu item. Safari browser.

Thank you for all your help, gentlemen. Just to call me a liar, I have just tried to edit my last post - I am using Google Chrome through Windows 10 on a laptop. The first couple of attempts failed: as usual, having reached 'edit' by left-clicking on the three dots, left-clicking on 'edit' produced nothing. I then tried right-clicking on 'edit' after left-clicking, which did not achieve anything, so I left-clicked again, which produced the edit screen! Perhaps this was interpreted by the laptop as a double-click as Rob mentioned, so I will persevere!

Noting RDS's comment about starting a new post, I feel there are already too many unnecessary posts clogging-up the threads and prefer to add a simple edit where appropriate.

To Brew Man: thank you. Confusion reigns all too easily!

Edit: Success. I don't know why, but the system now works. Thanks once again. Now back to the original subject matter of the thread.

Thanks for all the comments. I am building my second large layout using code 100 Hornby track. I was considering installing a Walthers code 83 #6 double crossover. The simplicity of installation appealed to me, however the complication of conversion from 100 to 83 and back probably negates any other advantages.

I have a Peco double slip on my layout, in fact I have two. I bought them because the Peco crossover has too much plastic in the "frog" area which is probably why you want to use code 83 track because I assume that crossover has less plastic. I thought the double slip would act as a cross over but it doesn't seem to on my layout, if only seems to work on one route. I can understand Hornby having a lot of plastic in their "frog" area on crossovers but why Peco have the same defeats me. Interestingly on their code 75 track the crossover is much better designed, why they couldn't move that same design back to code 100 track. I suppose they assume that code 75 is the future.

But the "double crossover" in Code 83, listed in the Walthers catalog, is a completely different beast from a "double slip" by Peco or anyone else. The double crossover is a pair of single crossovers between parallel tracks, one left-handed and the other right-handed, superimposed with a diamond crossing in the middle. See https://www.walthers.com/code-83-nickel-silver-track-6-turnout-double-crossover

It's not equivalent at all.

BTW, if ordering from Walthers, they carry the Atlas Code 83-to-100 transition rail joiners. It's not clear whether these compensate for the difference in rail height.