A Challenge :- What's the biggest Train have you even done on your Layout?

JJ73

As I've said above - the 34 Carriages that I've used are :- Pullman, Teak, Cornish Riviera (GWR), 1 x James The Red Engine Carriage, LMS (Dark red), 2 x Mag-Light Carriages, 3 x 4 Wheeled Carriages (& 1 of them is a Steam-Punk Carriage!!!)

forum_image_6197012fe4653.thumb.png.b182d893976da97c3eea8426dc86ad66.png

forum_image_61970133947ab.thumb.png.abba4fc4259761ccd2843e5eee271f71.png

forum_image_619701395bf9a.thumb.png.d37e7e5cdf98c1d033527f71cf1b9946.png

Thank You 🙂🚂🚂🚂

Mod note - Sorry JJ I deleted your other post by mistake trying to add a note saying you could edit your pictures from this post into it No way of undoing that unfortunately, so I suggest you edit this post to add your lead in words..

My layout is an 8 x 4 loop and some time ago I had a train that almost filled the track completely. The loco hauling it all was a class 66. There was a gap of about half an inch between the front of the train and back. A true tailchaser. No photos unfortunately.

I must admit that when I was (much) younger, I also used to put all my stock together and see how fast they could go. Much devastation usually occurred and its amazing that I actually have as much functioning Hornby/Triang/Lima/Mainline/Wrenn stuff as I do....if I had DCC as a kid along with the ability to manage head on collisions, I doubt much would have survived. I do have a Mk1 that was recovered after many years in a garden pond after a temporary bridge failure.....

You've probably all seen

before, but its definitely worth another look. Apparently the longest model train had 31 locos and over 1500 wagons reaching over 280m. I hope they checked the B2Bs.....

I must admit, I'm a little 'spoilt' at the moment - I could create a train perhaps 3x as long as the video and have some 'monsters' which can haul - notably the Hornby 50, 56 and 60, Heljan 52 and 58, various Bachmann 37's and 47's, Dapol 68 and ... a Hatton's 66 'the Beast'. Doubt they'd all stay on so I'm not bothering to try.

I'll keep my 'little bit of fun' video as is for now - don't want any carnage!!

Good luck to any others neutral_face.

Al.

To the Mod who 'mistakenly' DELETED 😠😄 my original post - apogee excepted 🙂- I can't quite remember what I said / wrote but I think I said something like this...

I ended up with using 2 Locos - 4-6-2, the 'Duke of Gloucester' & the ' Princess Elizabeth' - pulling a rake of a mixture of 34 Carriages - Pullman, Teak, Cornish Riviera, 1 Carriage belonging to 'James The Red Engine, Custard & Cream (or is it Blood & Custard??? Top half a Creamy Colour & bottom half beige Red), LMS Carriages, 2 Maglight Carriages (1 with 4 wheels & the other 6 wheels) &the last 3 are 4 wheeled Carriages (1 is a SteamPunk Carriage!!!)

@ New Lad :- Well when I've finally up-loaded my vid - you will see that :- it has to be pulled under it 'own power' it can't just sit there ( even thought a few times I did give it a helping hand a few times - which is a allowed!!!) depending on how many rolling stock & the size of your layout you can have say 2 Locos pulling it like I did!!!

I did try doing 1 lap as you will see in my vid but it was a bit differcult!!!

Ooh now this is a challenge! I'll certainly be giving this a go next time I'm at my layout...

Longest train I can remember is a 12 coach excursion I put together, hauled by our Railroad Tornado and I think an old class 37, but can't be sure. It was made up of teaks, Mk1s, Mk2s and Collett coaches. It wasn't quite a 'tail chaser' on our layout, but filled over half of it. Maybe I'll do all my passenger coaches and then all my wagons on the other loop! Got a Raven Q6 arriving this week hopefully, so that'll be a fun test for it once run in.

My R552 Oliver Cromwell, the Silver Seal original with the first iteration of the ringfield motor, fitted with 6 traction tyres. Had it pulling 24 various MK1's around the club layout. It was on 70% power doing that, so more was possible but we ran out of coaches. We could have fitted maybe another 8 or so. Some of the coaches are old and have high friction. When we build our new layout, I will try again and see where it tops out, with better carriages. Space / length shouldn't be an issue, the 00 run will be approximately 16 metres x 5 metres. Need to rebuild the locomotive first too.

This Garatt has Dublo standard class 4 wheels and valve gear. The body is a resin casting based on the Kitmaster model. It has Dublo centre rail collectors with two motors and a custom built milled chassis. Not cheap but a nice addition to the layout, I had it on order for two years.

Ray.