Beginner (What do I need to start with DCC)

David -1230460

Hello,

I am really new to this hobby so please bare with me.

After being interested for a while I took the plunge and bought a DC Highland set from my local model store.

On further reflection I think this was a mistake.

I want to start with dcc setup and run more than one train.

I intend to build the Hornby setup with the extra packs etc.

Can someone tell me what I need? Am I right in thinking all I need is the digital controller and two dcc locomotives. Will all the packs have everything I need.

Please ignore anything that sounds basic. I really am a beginner.

Thank you,

David.

@David

Moderator Note:

Could you please select the 'View my Community’ in your Dashboard on the Forum and choose a nickname in the ‘My profile' tab, rather than your First name that has been automatically allocated by the system. Hopefully a Forum change is coming soon to prevent this automatic allocation but a manual change is required at the moment and there will be more than one member with your name.

You need a DCC controller. Your choice but be aware some basic controllers are limited in capability. What is important is will it do the job for you and feel comfortable in use.

You need locos equipped with decoders. These can come either factory fitted described as a DCC-Fitted or DCC-Onboard or DCC-Sound loco or you can retro-fit the decoder of your choice - sound or non sound to a suitable loco. Such a loco will be described as DCC-Ready (i.e. has a suitable socket to plug your decoder into) or DCC-Compatible (i.e. can be converted using modelling skills to accept a decoder.

Do not try to run your analogue locos on a DCC track until they have had a decoder installed else you risk burning the motor out.

You also need a DCC track power connector.

The one that comes with analogue sets isn't suitable because it has an interference suppression capacitor in it. It can be converted to make it suitable for DCC use by opening it up and cutting out the capacitor.

In addition to the advice given, with DCC all the track must be live. i.e. power supplied via a single rail must have a means of being transferred to all parts of the layout. The simplest way to do that is with the Hornby Point Clips. They are small wire clips resembling staples which are easy to install on each of the points in your layout.

You mention the standard Hornby track plan and packs.

At the top of the "General Discussion" forum is a sticky thread titled. "Getting Started [sets and Extension Packs]". This downloadable document "Chapter 6" will answer most of your questions.

Hi David

Welcome to the forum

I would suggest, if you have not done so already, that you spend a few days wading through youtube. There are lots of reviews out there which should provide plenty of information and inspiration.

You have mentioned that you intend to build a layout based on the Hornby expansion packs. A simple DCC controller such as the Select maybe suitable, however, if you want DCC controlled points and signals and plan to move towards automation, you may need a more capable system. Of course, as your model develops, you could always upgrade when you have identified what you want to get from your model.

There is also plenty of advice available online as to how to fit a decoder in the Hornby train set 0-4-0, so your original purchase will not have been in vain. Once you have some more experience and feel ready, you can chip it!

Have fun...yum