Select Controller

slowshunter

I use a Hornby Select controller which has developed an intermittent problem where it appears to lose power. The display shows what appears to be the bits of some numbers which fade to nothing after a few minutes. I thought it might be a power problem so used another power cable from an old controller but the same thing happened. Can anybody help me, again.

Cheers,

Phil

Sounds like the 1-amp wall wart power supply browning out due to overload or short.

Disconnect the Select from the track and see if it boots correctly. If so make note of the numbers on screen - xx then 30 then 03. What is xx.

Not being an expert on Select, but from an electronics point of view it sounds like the internal power regulator is not working properly, as the device warms up it dies so provides no power. Usually the fault just happens intermittently but over time it happens more and more until the device dies completely. I don't know if the regulator has a heat sink that might have fell off, that would do the same.

Pay enough and you can get any power supply specification you want, but just because you can get a >4 amp PSU, this does not mean that it is good idea.

The Select is electronically designed to support a PSU up to 4 amps, it is not designed to support PSUs that significantly exceed that spec.

The standard wall plug power supply for a Select is 1-amp.

The recommended upgrade 4-amp power supply is a PC style power brick.

Generally wall wart plugs as they are commonly known are of the lower amperage output, say up to max of 2.5-amps, usually with built in overload protection.

The Select wall wart protects on overload by dropping its output voltage so in such a situation the Select will continuously reboot, hence the odd screen display.

Overload protection when using a higher amperage power supply rests within the Select, so it will show the characteristic OL (overload) for early Selects or E5 (meaning Emergy Stop) or EO (Emergy Off) for latest firmware versions.

Not if the fault is internal to the Select, which if what you are describing is correct, then that is not going to fix it. I may be wrong, but if it is what I suspect, then it just a component change, it will take longer to get the covers off than fix it.

OK Thank you everybody for your help.'ve just found a Hornby C990 adaptor. Will using it sort my problem?
Thanks again

Definitely not as it supplies 16vAC which is unsuitable for the purpose of powering Hornby digital controllers - they need 15vDC.

forum_image_61ad08310c1e8.thumb.png.fd62e4c390ef75af256fcfa50ed2acc3.png

The C990 also doesn't have a compatble DC connector. Hornby Digital 15 volt DC supplies use a 6.3mm / 3.0mm connector.

The correct Select replacement / update PSU is the Hornby P9300 at 4 amps.